College of Design Student Blogs

Cool Books?

globalbooks.jpg

Yes, cool books! I have to say, I must be sitting pretty in my Housing Studies major because most of my required textbooks are books I would like to read anyway. For my Cities, Citizens & Communities class, we are to read The Origins of the Urban Crisis. The book looks at Detroit and addresses the pattern of racialized poverty in industrial cities. For my Global Perspective housing class, we are reading Planet of Slums. As described by The Times, this book "forces us, angrily, to confront the deplorable realities of slum existence and the limitations of slum policies in many developing countries."

It looks like my classes will be discussing issues that I am already passionate about and issues that are excruciatingly relevant, whether here, or halfway across the globe. Poverty is a bigger issue than often realized, and specific areas and people groups often get hit harder than others. "Overall, the number of people residing in slums has climbed from 777 million in 2000 to almost 830 million in 2010" according to the United Nations report at http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=34119&#.Ut3Nm7RMFLM.

Crazy me, but I am just so excited for school to be starting up again here at the U of M! This stuff is just so important.

Stay sharp :)
Karly, Housing Studies B.S.