College of Design Student Blogs

Getting Messy!

Now that spring term is officially underway, I'm really excited for my upcoming semester of design coursework! Even though we've only been back in class for a few days, my classmates and I are already digging in and beginning some major projects.

In GDES 3312: Color and Form in Surface Design, we've already started our first screen printing project. Compared to the highly-controlled digital environment that I'm used to working in, screen printing has been complete one-eighty. The process can be unpredictable and messy, but it also allows for a high level of freedom within the creative process. Each print is different than the last and you never know quite how the next one will turn out. Although this can lead to some imperfections in your work, these unique characteristics may turn out to be what makes a piece great.

The images below are from the website of Dan Mather, an independent screen printer and graphic designer based in London. They really show that sometimes the most beautiful things can come from the messiest places.

Kate
Graphic Design

Thumbnail image for ScreenPrint1.jpgThumbnail image for ScreenPrint2.jpgThumbnail image for ScreenPrint3.jpg
ScreenPring4.jpgScreenPrint5.jpgScreenPrint6.jpg

I am So happy to see students involved in screen printing :)

It has been a life long passion, and warms my heart, to see the tradition being carried on.

Keep up the great work!