College of Design Student Blogs

The Eternal City

It's only been two short weeks since I left Minnesota but it feels like just yesterday! During my first week away I had the best time exploring all of Paris with three other Landscape Architecture majors and one Architecture major. We went just about everywhere you can think of. From the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Les Invalides, the Panthéon, Notre Dame, Sacré Cœur, Louvre, Musée d'Orsay, Centre Georges-Pompidou, Palace of Versailles, Musée Carnavalet , Musée de l'Orangerie, the catacombs, and the Champs-Élysées, our days were always packed with activities. Out of all these activities, my favorite was going to Versailles because it was a dream come true. Even though the gardens weren't in bloom, the strong axial geometry and expanse of the site was more than enough to take my breath away. Besides Versailles, my unexpected favorite thing was going to the catacombs. I found the way they laid the bones to create walls fascinating, with a sort of haunting beauty. I never would have thought that something so personal could be used in design.

After Paris, we all headed to Rome to begin classes. I was not sure what to expect for a schedule, but I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that basically my five weeks in Rome will be spent drawing. Most of my time here will be spent going to a site, exploring, and sketching. The rest will be working with my partner on our section of a map of Rome for the final project mixed with walking history tours. I'm excited to say that we received the Vatican area for our portion of the map and I could not be happier. It is a vibrant place that changes mood daily and always has something new to show me when I return. I can't wait to start on the final drawings and share with all of you this vibrancy.

Also, the internet here is extremely unreliable and slow, so please check out the Instagram page to view my photos! The username is umndesign and just look for #Theresa!

Theresa
Landscape Design & Planning