College of Design Student Blogs

Recently in Apparel Design Category

Summer Projects

Classes have ended for a couple of weeks now and we are in the full swing of summer break. Even though I don't have any classes anymore, it still seems like my projects are never ending. I guess this is what I can expect if I want to own my own business creating my own clothes and creating outfits for clients. One of the projects I just completed was for the lead singer of the local band, Little Band, which he needed for the Rebel, Rebel event at First Avenue. It was an awesome experience, because it really tested what I've learned so far in my education on how to pattern and doing adjustments while doing fittings with him. I am very happy to say that, yes, I actually learned things while here. I am also working on some shirts and a costume for other people, which is going to help me spread my name out there as a designer. Another great thing that has happened, is that I received notification that I have been accepted into the study abroad program at Central Saint Martins in London for the fall 2014 semester. This means I have a lot to prepare for that this summer as well. It may be summer break, but I sure know how to keep myself busy.

Here's a pic of the outfit I help create on stage at the Rebel, Rebel event.
Little Man.jpg

Make sure to follow my blog at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and also look for my pics on the UMNDesign Instagram!

Lee
Apparel Design

Congratulations ADes Class of 2014

I survived finals week and completed my 2nd year in the Apparel Design program. Summer break has now officially begun! The past couple of days have been filled with commencement ceremonies for all the different colleges within the U of M. Commencement for the College of Design was this last Saturday, which I was able to help out with, and it was held inside the newly renovated Northrop. I don't know what it looked like before, but I all I can say is that it is beautiful inside and the theater is amazing. It was great to see all the people graduating, especially the ADes class of 2014. Of course, the Apparel Design students have a special place in my heart, and being able to see them be rewarded for all their hard work by watching them walk across the stage felt great. Things like this keep my hard work going, because I know eventually that will be me walking across that stage. I'm halfway there and I know that the next 2 years will probably fly by quickly.

Congratulations class of 2014 and for the ADes Class of 2014, I know that you all will achieve greatness! I'm so proud of all of you!

17 ADes 2014.jpg

Lee
Apparel Design

My A-Game

It is officially the last week of classes before finals week. Am I panicking? Just a lot. The list of projects and papers that need to be completed before finals, is small, but the projects that are due, are big. I'm not going to lie, when I say that once finals week is over, I will be so relieved. On a more interesting and lighter note, I got a huge surprise this weekend. I walk into the building to see my image from the Align Senior Fashion show on a poster for the Fashion and Communication Symposium. I was shocked to see such a big poster of me. If I make it big, which I plan on, I guess I'll have to get use to seeing my image everywhere. It is also a lesson for everyone else out there. You never know who is watching and where your image will be used, so definitely have your A-game ready at all times.

Me on a poster.jpg

Lee
Apparel Design

Runways and Interviews

Three weeks left until finals week and still so much more to do. This Wednesday is the WAM Elements: Design Competition and Runway Show! The run through orientation for the show is this afternoon, and I'm getting pretty excited for everything to start coming together! Another amazing thing happened as well, 2 of my classmates and I were interviewed by the Minnesota Daily about the show! Minnesota Daily isn't a highly renowned international publication by any means, but it still does have a presence around the campus and community, so it felt amazing to be asked to be interviewed for the show. Having all these experiences, doing the interview and doing runway shows, continue to reaffirm to me that I made the right decision in choosing the Apparel Design major. These are definitely things I love and would love to continue doing as a career.

Look for my article in the Minnesota Daily online and in the paper this Tuesday and don't forget to get your tickets to WAM Elements Design Competition and Runway Show! You can get your tickets here http://z.umn.edu/elements.

Here is a pic from the interview.

WAM Interview.jpg

Lee
Apparel Design

WAM Student Design Competition

There is about 5 weeks left of classes before finals week. It' s kind of crazy to think that the semester only has that many weeks left! With the end of the semester just around the corner, this definitely means that extra work and motivation is needed to get there. Here's some exciting news; everyone in my studio class was accepted into the Weisman Art Museum, Elements: Student Design Competition! The show is inspired by the Weisman's exhibition, Siberia: Imagined and Reimagined, which is what my non-traditional materials project for my studio class was created for. The show is in 2 weeks and I still have to put on some finishing touches to my piece, on top of the other projects and homework for the my other classes. 5 weeks, till the end of the semester, seems like so little time, and then it sometimes it seems like forever.

The competition is on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 and you can go to the www.weisman.umn.edu site to find more information about the show.

Facebook-Cover-photo-1024x379.jpg
Siberia_invite-251x324.jpg

Lee
Apparel Design

SPRING BREAK!

Spring Break!! I bet you all are wondering what magical and exotic destination I chose to spend my spring break. This year, I decided to spend my spring break here, in the Twin Cities, working and getting ahead on some of my projects. Yes, I'm a little jealous to hear all the different places that my classmates are going to, but I feel like staying put is just as relaxing and fun as going somewhere. I don't have to deal with travel and I can sleep in the comfort of my own bed. Plus, this city is still filled with fun things to do, which is definitely a bonus when living here. So, if you think that you are required to go somewhere for spring break and be crazy, believe me, you don't. Staying home in the Twin Cities, is just as fantastic!

Minneapolis.JPG

Make sure to follow my blog at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and also look for more of my pics on the UMNDesign instagram!

Lee
Apparel Design

Halfway There and Feeling Good

The semester is now almost halfway through, which means new projects and midterms. The life of an apparel designer is definitely never boring, there is always something to do. For the career and internship class, I was required to do an informational interview with a professional in the industry. I found a tailor and Men's Warehouse and a designer for Target to do an interview with. I learned some really great information through the interview and it was really inspiring to hear their stories of how they go to where they are now. I also got to meet alum of the apparel design program at the Dean's Reception this last weekend, who is now a designer for Target as well. The informational interviews and meeting the alum, really confirmed that this program and this career is something that I want to do. It also confirmed that there are jobs out there for us apparel designers, which definitely takes a lot worry away from what to expect in the future. If you guys ever get a chance, contact an employer that you think you might want to work or intern at and do an informational interview, it's definitely worth it to get insider knowledge about the industry.

Below is a picture of my completed studio project.

Siberia Front.JPG

Make sure to follow my blog at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and also look for pics on the UMNDesign instagram for Align pics!

Lee
Apparel Design

Align Senior Fashion Show

This last Saturday the apparel design seniors had their fashion show, Align. This was a culmination of all the years of learning and hard work. As each collection went down the runway, you could tell the seniors put a great deal of work and thought into their pieces. Even the main event were the collections from the seniors, the juniors and sophomores also were able to put a piece into the show, and they need to be acknowledged for their hard work as well. From the beginning of the day to the very last thank you to the attendees of the show, a lot of work went to making Align come together. What an experience! It was definitely exhausting helping rounding up my sophomore class and getting them ready along with making sure everything for the show was prepared for showtime. Even though the day was hectic and exhausting, it also supplied a lot of inspiration and energy. The show was a complete success and I couldn't be prouder of everyone involved! If you missed it this year, definitely keep an eye for next years show; you don't want to miss this amazing event.

Here are some pictures from the Align Fashion Show.

Stayce Petraborg.JPG Crystal Compton.JPG Kayna Hobbs.JPG Align Seniors.JPG

Make sure to follow my blog at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and also look for pics on the UMNDesign Instagram for more of my pics!

Lee
Apparel Design

Back in the Groove

The semester is now in full swing, which means projects and assignments are back in full force. Right now in my apparel design studio we are working on a project in collaboration with the Weismann Art Museum's third annual design competition. The competition is Siberia: Imagined and Reimagined. The goal of the project is to basically portray Siberia using non-traditional materials, innovative textures, and/or structural shaping with an emphasis on sustainable best practices. The sustainable part is what makes the project challenging, so this weekend I went thrift shopping and got some great stuff from Savers and I think I have pretty good plan set. Below you can see the bags of stuff I came home with, and luckily since it was from Savers it wasn't too much of a cost and it'll fit the sustainability concept.

Savers Loot.JPG

Also at the same time, the senior fashion show, Align, is coming up which I will be modeling my pants from last semester and creating a top to go with it. I should probably stop blogging now and get to work.

Align_banner.jpg

Make sure to follow my blog at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and make sure to visit http://fashionshow.design.umn.edu to get more information about the Align Apparel Design Fashion show. Also look for pics on the UMNDesign instagram for updates on my projects!

Lee
Apparel Design

Life Goes On

Welcome back students!! For the past four days I was at a leadership retreat with my fraternity, Delta Lambda Phi. I was secluded from civilization somewhere in Ohio and all technology linking me to the outside world was eliminated, which means my cellphone and laptops were not available to me. Our ability to connect to basically anything through the use of technology is fantastic, but this past weekend has reminded me that my life doesn't necessarily have to revolve around it. The removal of technology was actually refreshing and allowed me to really engage in the leadership retreat. Life still happens, even without technology. I'm definitely going to periodically take this concept into the new semester to allow me to fully concentrate on my work, especially since the Align Fashion show is coming up on February 15th, so I'll need to make sure I put out quality work. Everyone try a day without your cellphone and see what happens.

A picture of Ohio from the plane.
2014-01-17 11.45.13.jpg

Make sure to follow my blog at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and make sure to visit http://fashionshow.design.umn.edu to get more information about the Align Apparel Design Fashion show!

Breaks Up! Back to Work!

Happy New Year!! Hope 2014 is going well for everyone! Winter break is now halfway over, which means that I need to start getting those winter break projects started and completed! The past couple of weeks of no deadlines and assignments have been fantastic, but as a designer, I've gotten bored rather quickly! I can feel my mind screaming for stimulation, so with this crazy temperatures plunging, I think it's a good time to stay inside and warm and keep busy working on some personal projects, one of them being the dress for the Hearts for Fashion, fashion show coming up this February. It'll at the Mall of America, which lots of exposure. Here's a sketch of what I'm proposing to make. My inspiration comes from the heart being a muscle, and mimicking the musculature of the body.

RED Dress_Page_1.jpg RED Dress_Page_2.jpg

Follow my blog and see how the dress comes out at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs!

Lee
Apparel Design

Finals Week!!

Finals week! The light at the end of the tunnel is finally coming into sight. Final projects are wrapping up for everyone, which means the studios are occupied 24/7 with people making their final touches. You start to meet new people in your program that are in different years and make new friends really quickly. You're there in the studio with them for hours on end, so you begin to recognize each other. That's what is so great about the studio life in the Apparel Design program, you're all working, you also are having fun at the same time. You have to, in order to remain sane through this hectic time for everyone. Here are some pictures of the studio life during finals week. For those of you taking finals and finish up projects, GOOD LUCK!!

Studio Life 1.JPG Studio Life 2.JPG

Go to z.umn.edu/cdesblog and follow my blog!

Lee
Apparel Design

Don't Forget About You

Thanksgiving break is over. Here's a picture of me and the meal that I made for my friends for Thanksgiving.

1461831_10202491277303641_2079014010_n.jpg

I look at the calendar and see that there is only a week and a half left in the semester. Yikes!! I have so much to do! All my final projects are going to be due very quickly, which means I need to kick it into high gear. It's hard during breaks, like this Thanksgiving break that we had, to motivate yourself to try to stay on top of things still. This passed week, I received the unfortunate news that one of my best friends had passed away, so it was especially hard to motivate myself. In college, and with the demanding work the College of Design requires, I think people need a reminder sometimes that they still need to take care of themselves in situations such as these. Of course, you still want to be preemptive with these things as well by communicating to all your instructors, which I did, and of course they were all understanding and advised to take care of myself. So to remind everyone, classes are important, but so are you, take care of yourself.

Follow my blog to continue to get updates about my projects and to see what I'm working on next at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs!

Lee
Apparel Design

Projects, Project, Projects

The 2nd project for my Apparel Design studio, the pants project, is now complete. Below is a picture of my class wearing our projects. I always love seeing the ideas and work of my fellow classmates. They fuel the competitive side of me to be better and they also inspire me with great ideas. The talent in this program never ceases to amaze me. I'm the one on the far right, with my punk rock inspired pants.

Pants Project.jpg

Our next project will be our Line Project, where we have to expand on either our dress project or pants project to create a line from the original idea. On top of that, I'm also going to try to prepare for the RED runway show at the Mall of America in February. The work of an apparel design major never ends.

Lee
Apparel Design

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Where does the weekend go? I always feel like the weekend goes by so quickly and Monday just sneaks right back up on you. That's definitely how I feel about this last weekend, which was definitely fun, since my weekend began with my favorite holiday, Halloween! I feel like Halloween is an apparel designers dream holiday, at least it is for me. Having the ability and knowledge of how to pattern and sew gives apparel designers a huge advantage when it comes to costumes. You can become more creative and the costumes are custom, so they fit so much better! Plus, it gives you amazing practice on utilizing the skills that you learn in the program. I've made my own costumes before, but after utilizing my new skills, they are so much better. I'm definitely not going to rule out costume design as a possible career option. Hope the rest of you had a great Halloween as well!

Halloween.JPG

To continue to get updates about me and my life as an apparel design major go to z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and follow my blog!
Lee
Apparel Design

So Much to Learn, So Little Time

One project down! Yay! My dress project is complete for my apparel design studio class and I got my grade back. I'm not going to disclose what I got, but I'm satisfied with the results. Here is the final dress.

ADes Studio II Dress Project.jpg ADes Studio II Dress Project 2.jpg

Now onto the next project, pants! Pants are definitely not going to be easy, especially since this will definitely be something that I've never done before. There's that, then all my other midterm projects and exams coming up. This includes my Illustration for Apparel Design class, which is proving to be a lot more work than expected. I have a background in art and drawing, so I thought that I would have the upper hand in doing figure drawings, but illustrating figures for apparel design takes on a different set of rules than I'm used to. More things to learn, which is exactly why joined this program, I always feel like I'm being challenged and I'm constantly learning. So if you're not learning anything when you're in college, you're probably doing it wrong.

To get updates about me and see how I'm using putting my new knowledge to work go to z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and follow my blog!

Lee
Apparel Design

The College of Design Family

Last Friday I was invited to be a part of Experience Minnesota, which is an open house event for multicultural students, to represent the apparel design program on the student and staff panel. The panel consisted of students and staff representing the architect, interior design, graph design and me, for apparel design. Going through the classes in your major, you grow a strong bond with other students in your major, since you all take the same classes together. You sometimes forget that there is still the rest of the College of Design out there. It's definitely an amazing feeling to rejoin the rest of the college and hearing about their projects or life in their fields. We all have our differences, but yet, still have many similarities in regards to design and our life in the College of Design. It's like we're a big family. This thought is definitely encouraging, knowing that you're not alone in College of Design and that there are other students who know exactly what you're going through and can be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Below you can see Dean Tom Fisher talking to the prospective students, the prospective students, and the student panel.

Tom Fisher.JPG
Propective Students.JPG
Student Panel.JPG

To hear more updates about me, Go to z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and follow my blog!

Lee
Apparel Design

Time Flies When You're Designing

Wow! I'm into my 4th week of the semester, but yet it still feels like the semester just started a week ago!

Right now in my apparel design studio class we've been working on draping, which is fantastic! It really gets you involved with the fabric and the dress forms and makes you feel like you're on Project Runway or something. Our dress project is coming due this Thursday, so the feeling of Project Runway's time crunch is definitely in the air. Below are pictures of what I've been working on. The garment itself is a test in muslin, and once I've decided the fit is perfect I'll create in in my final fabrics.

photo 1.JPG
Dress back.JPG

Time definitely flies fast in the apparel design program and you definitely won't be bored. At times, it can seem overwhelming to think about all the work that goes into my projects, but something about being in the studio and working with the fabrics and dress forms gives me energy. Then once I finish my projects and see the end result, the satisfaction of seeing it go from plain fabric to an actual dress is so gratifying and rejuvenating!

To see the final results of my dress and hear more updates about me, Go to z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and follow my blog!

Lee, Apparel Design major

Apparel Designer in the Making

Hey everyone! I'm Lee Tran. I'm the new blogger for the apparel design program at the University of Minnesota, and I'll be blogging about my experiences and myself as an apparel design major throughout the year. This will be an experience and adventure that we can share together!

I guess to get things started, let's talk about me. I'm a second year in the apparel design program. I'm originally from Sioux City, IA and lived in South Dakota for about 8 years. I was previously a marketing major at a different university, but I always had a passion for fashion design, so I did my research and found the program here that U of M. Of course, I looked into other schools when I did my research, but the location, the price, and the city sold the U of M for me.

My life here at the U of M doesn't just end with my academics. I am also an active member of the Delta Lambda Phi fraternity, which keeps me very active with various things in the community, with emphasis on the GLBTQ community. I also have many other interests like shopping for both designer and bargain gems, but you'll definitely get more insight on me as my blog progresses. You'll basically find out that I like to have fun with everything!

Here you can see me with my fraternity at the Pride Parade and below is a closer shot of me in my red toga! I made and dyed the togas myself!

IMG_6801.jpg

IMG_6803.jpg

Go to z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and follow my blog to read more about my experiences and me as an apparel designer major!

Graduation!

Hello everyone! This will be my final blog entry, as I am officially done with college and have graduated with my degree! This past Saturday I participated in commencement with my entire graduating class of 2013, with the rest of the College of Design. It was a fun day, full of emotions and activities. The ceremony itself was split into sections by major, which meant that I was in line and graduated with my fellow apparel design majors, which was a great treat. It was a fun time to celebrate and share the experience with the girls that I have been with for the past 4 years and bonded with. Our graduation and commencement was also a great treat, because our college and graduating class is one of the smallest at the University of Minnesota. Our ceremony was more intimate than others and we got to share the experience with professors that we knew well, including faculty and others like the Dean of the college. We even got to hug all of our professors! This is something that I truly enjoyed in my time at the University and within the College of Design, the tight knit group of staff, professors and students that you become over the years. The college is small enough that you really get to share experiences with close friends and classmates, as well as professors, that you really feel care about you, as a student and as a person.

Below is a fun photo of my graduating class of apparel designers!
468663_10151581928934455_872413424_o.jpg

What's next for me, you may ask? Well, I have officially accepted a position as an assistnat designer for a small local swimwear company. I am very excited about the opportunity and can't wait to start! I will be working with a very small team (head designer, sample maker, manufacturing team, etc) to create and relaunch their current brand. The brand is one that I admire and has become near and dear to my heart and I can't wait to see where I can go with the company. The company is located here in Minnesota, so I will be staying around the cities for a while, although I will be relocated from St Paul to Minneapolis. I won't be blogging here anymore, but I will be around, so if you ever have any questions, feel free to post here, I'll be watching the blogs.

Thank you for reading!
Lucie, Apparel Design

MN Goes Green

Hello readers! As you may know, I am officially done with school and will be graduating this Saturday! Crazy how time flies! I wanted to let you know about a great event that is happening on Friday, that I will unfortunately (due to graduation) not be able to attend.

The event is called MN Goes Green, and is a fashion event dedicated to sustainable, responsible and eco-fashion. It is put on in collaboration with Sol-Inspirations which is a local organization that focuses on sustainable and responsible fashion within the Twin Cities. They regularly put on fashion shows, clothing swaps, and most recently a student scholarship competition. The competition was this past semester and had students from many local design colleges participate, including the University of Minnesota's College of Design. Crystal Compton, a current Junior in the program, actually won the competition and scholarship! Crystal and the other designer participants will be showing their creations and having them displayed at the MN Goes Green event this Saturday. There will also be energy displays and demonstrations on how to be more sustainable and eco-conscious in your own home. There also is a clothing swap, where you can trade gently used unwanted clothing for items from other donors that you perfer, as well as tailoring on the spot. Below is a photo of Crystal and her winning design and the link for more information about the event and tickets!

860399_568023603207710_243516556_o.jpg

http://www.mngoesgreen.com/

Lucie, Apparel Design

Target Project Finale!

Hello all! Today I wanted to share with you the details of our final project in it's entirety! This project, that I have blogged about previously in my posts, was a design collaboration with Target Corporation's Design and Product Development team. The assignment was to find a "white space opportunity" within an assigned floor pad. A "floor pad" is a type of apparel and design we were given, for example women's ready to wear or intimates/performance. Our flood pad was "big girls" or girls sizes 4-16, which is basically elementary aged girls. A "white space opportunity" is defined by Target as an area of the market that Target currently isn't tapping into. This could be unique to Target, as in other competitors are designing it and marketing it to customers, but Target hasn't caught on yet, or something that no one in the industry currently is carrying. Our white space that we identified was girls apparel that was in between basics and very girly almost "teen" clothing. We wanted to design something that little girls would want to wear, but that was also appropriate and appealing to their parents and adults in their life. We decided to pair with STEM, which stands for Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics, and is an organization that aims to introduce these fields to girls and get them more involved through after school programs and summer camps. We took inspiration from technology and science imagery to create our color palette and many of the style lines and prints used in the line.

We presented our project to Target Corporation last Thursday, and overall it went well! We received good feedback and our group was very happy with how everything turned out. It is also going to be a great portfolio piece, as we took a product line from inspiration to concept to production, and on to merchandising and advertising plan. Below are some images from the project!

IMAG1276.jpg

IMAG1305.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

End of Semester

Hello all! It's finally spring in Minneapolis! It is a welcome change on campus, that is for sure!

As some of you may know, I am currently a senior and will be graduating in 3 weeks! That fact alone is crazy to me, as I feel like my 4 years at the University of Minnesota have really flown by. That being said, I am very very excited! The end of any semester means the wrap up of final papers, projects and exams, as well as the dreaded finals week! This semester, I have three final projects, two presentations, two final papers, and one final exam. This sounds like a lot, but realistically it is comparable to many of my seamsters, so I'm use to it. A nice thing about design majors, and the College of Design, is that most of your classes will have final projects and presentations rather than tests or exams. These can be studio classes with final garments and illustration projects, or something like what I am working on currently, with my Target collaboration which combines my major, apparel design, and minor, retail merchandising. This also means that most of these projects are due before finals week, or during the last week of class. This gives you more time for other classes, usually general education requirements, that typically have finals and exams during the week of finals. Having this kind of separation and timing allows you to prioritize and focus on what is most important at the time.

One of my big final projects if my Target collaboration that I am working on. This project is due and will be presented this Thursday! We have a lot to wrap up, but the project is coming together well and looks great! A part of the project was to create a "takeaway" item for our Target sponsors to keep after they view our project, to act as a remeinder of our group and project. I create a paper doll for our takeaway, and am currently working on finishing up all the details! Below is a pic!

paperdollpic.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Art Crank

Hello readers! This week I thought I would blog about the great art and design shows and opportunities here in the Twin Cities. Having a great design school in the heart of such a thriving art city is a wonderful opportunity. I have already blogged about MNFashion and Minneapolis St Paul Fashion Week, which happens twice a year, with other singular events occurring throughout the year.

Another great event that I just attended was the annual Art Crank event. Art Crank is a great Minneapolis event that combines the two loves of the Cities'; bicycling and art! Art Crank brings together graphic designers and screen printers to create bicycle inspired art, which then is displayed and sold during the night of Art Crank. It is a fun event to visit and meet other art and cycling enthusiasts. Below is a picture of one of the prints!

IMG_20130406_222912.jpg

Another great event coming up is Retro Rama. Retro Rama is an annual event put on by the Minnesota Historical society that revolves around vintage clothing and style. There is vintage clothing on display, historical food and crafts, and a fashion show featuring looks by local designers that were inspired by a historical period. This year the event is on May 17th, and I encourage any of you to come check it out!

Lucie, Apparel Design

Prototype fit tests

Hello all! This week I thought I would blog about my design collaboration with Target and how it is going. Last week, in my blog, I wrote about the print that my group designed and printed in the digital lab. This week I wil elaborate on what we did with that fabric!

We took the printed fabric and continued working on our prototype for Target. Our other two fabrics used in the design are coordinating teal and brown corduroy. We used the print fabric to accent the garment in pops, and unexpected areas. The print is being used on the inside of the cuffs, the underside of the collar, and the inside lining of the entire shirt. Below is an image of our garment!

IMAG1125.jpg

We met with our Target design team counterparts last week, and went over our designs and talked about potential issues with production. When a designer is designing something for their own line, like we have done so far, you only think about what the price is of the one product. When designing for a company like Target, you have to think about the entire production line and all that goes into it, as far as cost. Many of our potential issues were in regards to costing, which makes sense. Creating your own print and using three different fabrics in one garment can be costly!

More next week!
Lucie, Apparel Design

Fabric Printing

This past week I used the new fabric printer in McNeal to create some of my own fabric designs for my soft-lines class, and I thought it would be fun to show it to you!

The fabric printer is a new piece of equipment and is available to all College of Design students. Paying your student service fees gives you access to great equipment like the computer labs, plotters, and now this fabric printer.

The fabric printer prints on 100% cotton broadcloth that is 44 inches wide. When printing it is important to remember to format your image to be no bigger than 42 inches wide, to accomodate for the selvage edge. This ensures that your entire image will show up and won't fray. When you create your pattern or print, like I did, use photoshop and create your image with no higher than 150dpi. If you are printing more than one yard, decreasing your dpi may be necessary in order to print. Printing costs are by the foot and can be found at labs.design.umn.edu.

Here are some photos of my fabric! This is a print of an abstracted photo of plant cells under a microscope. We will be using this fabric to line and accent our shirt for our Target collaboration.

IMAG1068.jpg

IMAG1074.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Design Real Life

Hello all! Hope you had a great April Fool's day yesterday! :)

Lately I have been very busy perfecting my design portfolio, resume and website, to create my professional and creative design persona for the public eye. This is very important for any career, but in design, your portfolio can be more important as it shows what you can really do as a creative individual. In my experience in design and design related jobs, resumes are tools to get you noticed and brought in for interviews, while your website and portfolio will show you as a designer and what you can do, and in turn will get you the job. (Hopefully!)

In the College of Design, and in the apparel design major, you take two specific classes that focus on the professional and presentation side of you as a designer. In your sophomore year you will take one based specifically on internships and how to access positions and apply, as well as ways to stand out from the pack. You will start your resume and website process in this class, and continue it as you learn and grown through the years. The second class, which I am in currently but in the future will be in the sophomore or junior year of study, focuses on resumes and final portfolios, which will help in obtaining a full time design position after graduation.

Below is a link and photo of my website/portfolio that I am working on.

http://www.luciejane.com/

blog.png

Lucie, Apparel Design

Target: Design Part 2

Hello everyone! I hope you all had a lovely spring break, and relaxed a bit. I did, but now its back to the grind, and the last 6 weeks of my college career before I graduate! I can't wait!

The biggest project that I am currently working on is our Product Development's collaboration with Target Corporation, to create a product and marketing plan for an assigned floor pad. The floor pads that Target had us focus on varied from infants and toddlers to menswear to intimates. Our assigned floor pad, and target market, was "Big girls", which means girls ready to wear fashion in sizes 4-16. Our assignment was to research the target market and what was being offered to them currently and pinpoint what was missing. Then to design a line of clothing and products to fit this missing section, and create a floor plan, marketing strategy and advertising campaign for the collection.

Our group decided to focus on clothing for girls that wasn't overly girly, or too grown up for their age group. We conducted surveys, and completed extensive research and discovered that there was a gap in this area, most of what is offered currently is either very girly with frills and sparkles, or was too basic for girls to be interested (plain tee shirts, etc). We are at the point now where we are sketching and deciding what the pieces in our line/collection will actually be. Below is an image of our mood board!

882286_10102953326506940_822274379_o.jpg

Lucie, Apparel design

Spring Break

Hello readers! I hope all of you are having a wonderful spring break, and relaxing a bit! Last week was my week of midterms so it was rather stressful. I had four papers, a portfolio class project, and a retail midterm exam all due! But, I got through it, and got to have some time to relax over the week of break. I first headed home to Iowa, to visit family and have some down time, but then it was off to Chicago for the weekend! While in Chicago, I had a great time visiting the Art Institute of Chicago. Having time off from school is great to relax, but I also try and take advantage of family trips to have the opportunity to see art and design exhibitions around the country. Last summer, I was able to see Jean Paul Gaultier's exhibit in the de Young Museum in San Francisco, and this week I was able to see the exhibit on Japanese fashion in the Art Institute of Chicago: "Material Translations". The exhibitions displays many fashions and designs from Japanese designers and showcases how Japanese fashion, and more broadly Eastern fashion, is different from the more commonplace (for us) Western fashion world. Eastern fashion is quickly spreading and it's influence is being seen on high fashion runways in New York, London, etc.

The exhibition shows designs, more specifically, from the 1980s through the early 2000s, and has pieces from more well known lines like Comme des Garçons, by designer Rei Kawakubo. While I wasn't sure if I could take photos in the gallery, I wanted to show you a piece from the exhibition. Below is an image from the gallery, which I found online. Enjoy!

Japan.png

Lucie, Apparel Design

Goldstein Exhibition

Hello all!

This week I thought I would talk about the current exhibition at the Goldstein Gallery of Art and Design. For those of you who aren't familiar with the gallery, this art and costume museum is housed within McNeal Hall on the St Paul campus and is home to a very extensive archive of historical costume and fashion items. Some of these items are on display during the year as part of the gallery's biannual exhibitions, but all of them are available to view and examine at any time by appointment with the gallery and collection staff.

The current exhibition is entitled Redefining, Redesigning Fashion and is all about sustainability within the fashion and design industries. The concept for the exhibition was to approach sustainable design and eco-conscious fashion in a unique and new perspective, within predetermined categories like unique construction, materials, concept, etc. There are over 50 pieces on display, ranging from those designed with reusable and responsibly obtained fabrics, to those created out of unconventional materials.

I have two of my own designs in the gallery, on display. One is categorized within the unconventional materials category, and one is a piece focused on versatility. Below is a picture of my versatile piece in the gallery!

IMAG0911.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Dean's Reception Part 2

Hello readers and viewers! I hope you all survived the crazy Minnesota weather this past week.

I wanted to post again about The Dean's Reception, because this week I can share pictures from the event! So, the Dean's Reception allows incoming freshmen, and their families, the unique opportunity to meet and interact with the large group of incoming freshmen in the entire College of Design, their individual discipline: graphic design, interior design, apparel design, etc, and the professors and staff that are within the college as well. It also allows upperclassmen, like myself, to meet new students who we will be interacting with. This semester, the Dean's Reception was slightly bittersweet, as I met students who will be at school next year, after I graduate! Imagining that I only have 2 months of school left, in my college career, is insane! I cannot believe how quickly the time has passed.

During the apparel design major specific time of the Dean's Reception, I had a chance to talk to incoming students about portfolio review. Portfolio review is most likely, for me at least, the scariest part of the first year during your time at the College of Design. Portfolio review takes place during finals week of your first spring semester, after your first studio class: studio one. I will write more about portfolio review next week! In the meantime, here is a photo of me and Lee, the other apparel design student who spoke at the Dean's Reception.

69211_10151491610091113_269280524_n.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Dean's Reception

Hello all! It was wonderful to meet some of you at the Dean's Reception this past weekend! If any of you couldn't make it and have questions, feel free to leave them below and I will be in touch!

The event was a great one and I had a lot of fun. I got to have lunch with incoming freshman and their families, which was super fun to hear stories about how people got interested in design and how they chose the University of Minnesota. I also got to tell my story, and how I made my way to Minnesota and the College of Design, which was a fun trip down memory lane! I actually attended the Dean's Reception my senior year of high school back in 2009! I cannot believe that was 4 years ago, because my time at the U has gone so fast!

The past 4 years have been a blur, and I couldn't be happier. I loved sharing part of my last year with incoming freshmen who I hope have as great I time as I have in the College of Design. I thought that it would be fun to share a picture of one of my first projects ever with you! This is something that I did back in high school, before I had decided to pursue design as a career and college choice! I will be using this in my portfolio which I am working on right now in one of my classes. Enjoy!

_MG_0602.jpg

Lucie, Apparel design

Senior line!

Hello all!

This past Saturday was my senior fashion show FLUX! It was absolutely wonderful and it went off without a hitch! All my models looked beautiful and all the clothing fit perfectly and looked flawless on the runway. This show was the final finish line for us 17 senior designers, after 4 years in the program. I cannot begin to tell you how proud I am of our group and how far we've come. Each of us has a specific and unique aesthetic and design style, as well as target market, ranging from punk-inspired children's'-wear to menswear to plus size evening and bridal. We all held our own and showed collections true to us as designers. I showed my line of four evening looks on models ranging from a size 6/8 to a size 14/16. I was beyond pleased by how all my girls looked and with the way the audience responded. In fact, if you're interested in seeing my pieces, I will be bringing two of them to the Dean's Reception this weekend! Some of you will be there, I am sure, and I will be speaking about the Apparel Design program at the U of M and meeting with incoming students about the student life here on campus. Here is a shot of one of my pieces that i will be showing at the Dean's Reception, on the runway!

ElizabethCityPages.jpg

If you will be at the Dean's Reception, feel free to say Hi and ask me any questions! If you won't be there, go ahead and post any questions here and I will do my best of answer them!

Lucie, Apparel Design

Dr Dunne

Hello all!

I thought I would take this week to talk about one of my professors, Dr. Dunne, and her latest creation. Dr. Dunne is an apparel design professor who focuses on wearable technologies and electronic clothing innovations. She is the professor who lead my class's project with NASA. She also heads up the University of Minnesota College of Design's Wearable Technology lab, which is located in McNeal Hall. I also worked with her, in this lab, for a project in collaboration with engineering students, to create handbags and luggage with the power to power a cell phone or other USB device with solar panels.

Dr Dunne's latest project, which I have seen throughout the process, is her smart technology glove created to help firefighters in work settings. The glove has sensors in it, to allow firefighters to "see" through smoke and dimly lite areas and allow them to move through an area without feeling around to sense their surroundings. It works similarly to echolocation, by sending out signals and reporting back to how far away things are. You point around the room and the glove will vibrate based on how far away things are: harsh vibrate for things that are close and a softer one for ones that are far away. Using this technology, a firefighter can more safely and more quickly maneuver their way through dangerous situations. This is a great example of how apparel design has real world, non fashion, uses, ones that are being innovated every day within the college of design. If you're interested in learning more about the project, here is a great article:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/02/12/professor-hopes-new-glove-will-help-firefighters-in-the-dark/

And a photo of the prototype:

glove.png

Lucie, Apparel Design

Target: Design

Hello all! I am at a bit of a stressful point in the semester, because our senior fashion show is less than 2 weeks away! Where did the time go!? I am down to the wire sending out press invites and coordinating with designers and models. We have a lot to do still, but we'll get it to work! 10 days and counting!

This week, I wanted to talk to you about a great project I will be working on this semester, in my Soft-lines class. We, in teams of 3 apparel design students and 3 retail merchandising students, work with Target to create a new product or line of products for a target market or group of consumers that we find Target isn't currently focusing on. This could be a size range, age group, style type or anything in between. Our overarching target market, which was assigned to us randomly, is "big-girls" which encompasses girls sizes 4-16, typically school aged girls. I am excited for our target market, as girls clothing, I find, is so "nitch" or specific: girly and pastel. I want to create something for the tom-boy girl, who is active and imaginative. Something with primary colors and fun geometric prints. Now, of course, we will have to decide on something as a team, collaboratively, and work with Target to have our ideas approved, but it's something to start with! Other groups were assigned active wear, "big boys", infants/toddlers, and other types of apparel and consumers.

Here is a shot of our design day at Target Corporate!

522136_4929820476298_1847929181_n.jpg

Lucie, Apparel design

Sketching

Hope everyone is getting back into the swing of classes and winter time! The second week of classes always seems to make more sense and the initial stress of "back to school" wears off. This semester I am taking a great class called Soft-lines, which is where we work with Target to create a product (typically apparel) and create the entire campaign from start to finish. This means designing the product, researching the target market, creating a sample of the product, testing the product, and creating the entire advertising and merchandising campaign. This involves both my apparel design major and my retail merchandising minor, which is great because that will most likely be something I do in my job in the future. The class is made up of my entire class of 17 apparel design seniors, as well as 17 retail merchandising majors, and we work in groups for the semester long project.

A great thing about this class, is that our professor encourages us to sketch as we are in class, as they may lead to project ideas and other design work in the future. This is great because design inspiration comes from random things, and the most random times, so having permission and encouragement to sketch and explore those ideas is great.

Here is a page of my sketches from that class:

IMAG0608.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Last First Day

This Tuesday was my final and last first day of school, ever. I will be graduating in May of this semester, so this is my last semester of college, and formal education, ever! It is a very odd feeling, bittersweet really. Having gone from high school, directly to college means I have been in some sort of school or education since the age of 5, or for a total of 17 years. Which is 77% of my entire life! Sorry for the little math tangent, but it is a lot! The moral of this is, to truly enjoy your time in college while you can. Engage in your classes, not just your major ones, as many of the closest friends I have now, I met in random general education classes like Plant Biology or Geology. These classes allow you to meet people outside of your comfort zone and major classmates, which broadens your horizons and networks. This is why the University of Minnesota is fantastic, being a huge university, it offers many many different classes and activities that allow you to meet new and different people that you would otherwise have never known.

This semester I am taking fewer classes than usual, as I am working with MNFashion, the local fashion industry's organization for events and fashion week. I am their casting director/model coordinator. It is a great way to network with local industry professionals, and shows how far you can go through connections and friendships you make along the way.

Here is a photo and link to our senior show website!

show.png

http://fashionshow.design.umn.edu/

Lucie, Apparel design

Goldstein Gallery

Hello all! Today I wanted to introduce you to a wonderful resource we have available to us at the University and within the College of Design. I am talking about the Goldstein Gallery of Design. This gallery is housed within McNeal hall on the St Paul campus, which is where almost all of my design and retail classes are as well. In many classes you use the gallery for research, but it is always a great resource regardless of the class. The gallery has many artifacts, but most are apparel, design or textile based.The collection has different displays throughout the year, but you can always make an appointment with the curators to see anything specific. I have done this for research in my History of Costume class. Seeing garments up close and being able to examine them (with gloves of course!) really helps you visualize and understand the time period better.

The most current exhibition, which is set to open this weekend and will be on display through out next semester is "Redesigning Re-imagining Fashion" and it focuses on eco friendly fashion, up-cycled and recycled fashion, and fashion created out of untraditional materials. I am very excited to say that two of my pieces are on display! One is my piece that I created my freshman year, which is a transforming dress to accomadate multiple uses within one garment. This piece addresses eco fashion from a use perspective. So much of what we own in clothing is made to be worn once or twice and then forgotten about. My dress has transformative properties, so as to allow the wearer to use one garment in many settings.

The other garment, which I am especially excited about because it wasn't done for a class project but an industry fashion show, is my Vitamin Water Dress. This dress is made completely out of vitamin water labels and other recycled materials (fruit bag netting, broken CDs, etc.) I created this dress for an event, Vitamin Water Uncapped, that Vitamin Water put on in the Twin Cities during the summer of 2011.

Here is a sneak peek!

vitamin.png

Lucie, Apparel Design

FLUX look book shoot

Hello readers!

This past weekend I returned to the twin cities for our fashion show's look book shoot. For those of you unfamiliar with the term "look book", a look book is kind of like a program to a fashion show. It shows images of the looks and outfits featured in the show, and offers a glimpse into the designers' behind the collections by having bios and inspiration. It also has contact information for all designers and other talentin the show, as well as a "thank you" page which credits all those involved and who contributed. Our look book will feature one two-page spread about each designer, featuring a one page photo of one of their designs (which we shot on Saturday) as well as a once page write up about the designer themselves and the collection, as well as our bio photos.

On Saturday we shot our look book images, which meant we got to see at least one final garment on a model with professional styling, which was fantastic. My gorgeous model, Lauren, drove 4 hours to shoot with me which just goes to show that networking and making great connections with industry professionals like models can go a long way! I am the only designer showing "plus size" garments, so that was fun to see my model (a size 14/16) look fantastic alongside all the size 0/2 models. (Plus size in the fashion industry is anything above a size 6, it is a very odd industry and I am trying to change some of the outlook on it with my collection, designed using models ranging from size 6/8-14/16)

Below is a sneak peak from the shoot, straight off the photographers screen!

IMAG0506.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Winter Break

Hello all! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and Happy New Year! I certainly did. Winter break in college is a great time, because you get to have a nice long break in between semesters. It's nice to have time off in between semesters, as opposed to in the middle of them (like some schools that operate on a quarter system) is that you get time off to take a break, without worrying about classes and homework. Who can say no to that?

My winter break, however, is a bit different than in previous years. Our senior show is on February 16th, and we have a lot of planning to work on before the next semester starts! I have been working on a press release to send to various media outlets to publicize the show, and invite press to attend. It is a fun job, but also stressful, because I am responsible for making industry professionals interested in our work!

In addition to working on show responsibilities, I am putting the finishing touches on my garments. I am beading and embellishing a few of the pieces, as well as adding jewelry (which I am also making) and figuring out styling (shoes, hair, makeup, etc.) Our photoshoot for our look book is on the 5th, so wish me luck! Below is a picture of my beading.

beads.png

Lucie, Apparel Design

Final Design Edits

If you read my blog last week, you know that I had my final critique for my senior line last week, which is the accumulation of everything I've done this semester! I got some great feedback and made some changes to certain pieces to make the line flow more and have a cohesive collection.

In design, especially at a large school with an extensive program, you learn that much more goes into design than just designing and creating. Editing is a huge and very important part of design. As the designer and sole creator of a line, it is very easy to get lost in the pieces and not really see the big picture. This is why it is very important to have outside perspectives give you insight on how to create a line that truly flows and defines your aesthetic.

In my critique I got some great feedback, mostly regarding one piece, which didn't quite fit in with the others. After hearing what they had to say, and playing with different ideas and solutions, I changed the piece to the look below. (Check out my blog last week to see the original design)

IMAG0264.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Final Line!

It's over! (mostly) My final line is complete (minus a few finishing details that need to wait until final fittings, like lining one dress, a few zippers, and hems, etc) I am so excited that I've gotten this far in such a small time frame!

These past two weekends I have spent every waking moment in studio. For example, this past weekend, I spent 55 of 80 hours in studio. (Thursday afternoon through Sunday night) It was a crazy busy time for me, but when you truly love something, like design and fashion, you'll put in the time, no matter how much it ends up being. It is something you're passionate about, so it is your top priority.

For our final critique, our mentors, professors and other design faculty and staff, as well as students, all come together to listen to your presentation and give feedback. It is always positive, but critical, as that is how design evolves, and designers grow.

Here is a picture of my final line! What do you think?

IMAG0209.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Traveling Design

Today I thought I would post about something other than my senior line, as next week it will be completely finished and I will be sure to post about the final critique and how it was received! Can't wait! This weekend will be very busy, but everything is worth it in the end!

Back to my post! I thought I would post about taking opportunities when traveling and out with parents and family, over holidays, etc, to take advantage of different fashion and design exhibits. I often travel with my family and always am going to galleries and museums with them on our vacations. This past Thanksgiving break we were able to take some time to visit the Field Museum in Chicago, IL. The Field Museum has a great exhibit currently about the museums' clothing and fashion coordinator, and how her designs often take inspiration from older garments housed within the various regional collections. The exhibition was showing her garments alongside traditional and very old artifacts and comparing and contrasting the design elements within the pieces.

Attending events and exhibitions like these broadens your design and fashion views, as well as network and knowledge. Making time to visit even the local galleries and collection showings (during MNFashion Week, etc.) is a great start!

Here is a picture from the collection!
IMAG0100.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Senior Line: Final Garments!

The time is finally upon me, final garments time! This means that I am through with the initial phases of patterning, test garments and pattern corrections and am ready to move on to creating the real garments out of their fashion fabrics. (Fashion fabrics is a fancy way to say the actual fabric the garment will be made out of. Muslin is the inexpensive cotton fabric used to make most test garments.) This also means that my garments are starting to look real, and I love it! It is really hard to tell how a design will look in the end when it is in the wrong fabric, so moving on to this step is very encouraging.

When you start creating garments in the final fabrics, you also start making design decisions based on how they look in reality, not just in sketch or in test garment fabric. For example, one of my designs was a jumper with sleeves. In final fabric, the sleeves were too much of a good thing (over designing is a difficult thing to overcome, and something important to watch as a new designer) and I completely changed the silhouette to be sleeveless. I think it is much more chic now, and fits with the rest of my line better. Take a look below!

IMAG0087.jpg

These are not in any way finished garments, but they're getting close! I have final fittings this week and will continue to finish the pieces over the next two weeks! Wish me luck!

Lucie, Apparel Design

Post Experience MN

This weekend and the Experience MN event was a great success! It was a fun time to meet such a large group of possible new freshman and some of their families! Here is a recap of the day's events!

All of the University of Minnesota College of Design bloggers, plus a few other students, presented a slide about their major, minor, blogging, and projects as well as other things they had been involved in while at the University. I spoke about apparel design, my minor in retail merchandising, my project with NASA as well as my blogging duties. The three projects I presented were my dress I designed for portfolio review freshman year, my NASA project, and my tailored jacket. (you can see photos of these projects if you look back into my older blog entires)

Here is a picture from the presentation:

IMAG0032.jpg

If there are any readers who were at the presentation and have any questions, feel free to leave them below!

Lucie, Apparel Design

Experience MN

This Saturday I have the pleasure of being involved in the College of Design's event for prospective students: Experience MN. Experience MN is an event that the College puts on ever year showing prospective students and their families' what the College of Design has to offer in the variety of design majors and minors available. The College currently has majors in Apparel, Graphic, and Interior Design, Architecture and Landscape Architecture, Housing Design and Retail Merchandising. Many of these departments also offer minors, for example I am pursuing a degree in apparel design, but am getting a minor in Retail Merchandising. You also can get a general design minor, which covers much of the fundamental design work and principles.

I remember attending the Experience MN event when I was a senior in high school and loved it. It really opens your eyes and shows students what the University and College have to offer. I will be presenting some of my best work I have done throughout my college career thus far, and talk about what is next for me: my senior line, the senior show and career options after graduation.

I look forward to seeing many of you at the event on Saturday! Feel free to ask any questions here or in person and I will do my best to answer them!

exp_mn_header.jpeg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Computer Aided Design

Hello readers! I hope everyone is having a wonderful start to their week, and a very Happy Halloween to you all!

This week I thought I would talk about the Computer Aided Design opportunities and resources at the University, or CAD as it is called for short. There are the obvious Adobe Creative Suite programs like Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, that all help with design in general. When creating mood-boards or style boards, as well as tweaking hand drawn illustrations, or illustrating on the computer, photoshop and InDesign are great programs to have on hand. The programs themselves can be a bit pricy, but the University bookstore gives you a pretty good deal on them, or you can do what I do, and just use the computers in any of the University libraries. You can always have access to the programs while you're a student which is great. Illustrator is especially helpful when creating flats, or technical drawings, which are very specific drawings to show how the garments will be constructed.

Here is an example of a flat:
jessica.jpg

A big CAD opportunity that is unique to Apparel Design, is the Optitex program. Optitex is a 3D digital patterning software, with simulation capabilities. This means that you can use the Body Imaging lab in McNeal to scan in yourself or your model, and then use a digital version of that person to create patterns for, and try on in the program! Here is an image of some of my simulated work.

BodyScan.png

You are also able to create patterns by using Optitex, and print them off to use to create the real garments. Really cool software!

Lucie, Apparel design

Sewing and models and fittings, oh my!

This is it, readers, the first big step of my senior line: test garment presentations! Half of our class presented their lines on Monday and I am scheduled to start out the day on Wednesday. These presentations are for our classmates, mentors and professors to see our progress and give feedback on how to proceed to the final garments. Another big part of test garments and presentations, is how the garments themselves fit and work on the models. Having multiple fittings is important to make sure that the final garments fit and flatter the body well in the end and on the runway.

During the fittings I have my models try on the test garments inside out, so the seams are on the outside. That way I can pin the seams in, or seam rip them to let them out to properly fit them on the body. I also can mark where style lines will go, or change necklines and arm holes. I then can go forward, and if necessary, create another test garment with the changes. If there are a lot of changes, or if the fit is very off on the first test garment, then a second test garment can really help. If you work really hard during the initial fitting process, creating the final garments is easier.

Here is a picture of one of my garments during the fitting process, on a mannequin. As you can see, the back is pinned and marked.

IMG_1203.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Senior Line Reality Part II

Hello all! As you know, my senior line design process has been in full swing and this past weekend I made a lot of progress! The next step in the design process, after ideation and illustration of designs, is to create patterns and test garments. This past week and weekend I was able to pattern all four of my designs, and started on my test garments. Test garments are basically the final garments, but sewn really basically in a very cheap cotton fabric called muslin. These garments are used for fitting and to make sure everything will work out well when you start sewing in the actual fabric. Muslin is also a very inexpensive fabric so if you do make mistakes or have issues with redoing patterns/fittings, you don't waste valuable fashion fabrics.

When your test garments are done, the next step is model fittings to make the end result garments will fit well. I am having my models come in this week and weekend to fit my test garments, or muslins as they are also called. Wish me luck!!

A big part of the test garment process, other than fittings, is to make design changes and solve problems that you may come across in the sewing and fitting process. This weeds out poor design choices that may cause big problems later down the line.

Here is a shot of my finished three test garments, ready for fittings!

IMG_1212.JPG

Lucie, Apparel Design

Senior Line Reality

Hello everyone, hope your week is starting off swimmingly. Mine has been going quite well and I'll tell you why! This past weekend and this week I am getting right into the midst of my senior line. I am no longer drawing or thinking about it, instead I am patterning, draping and working with my models. It is really exciting to see my pieces as more than just a sketch or some plain fabric, and more of a real thing!

In apparel design and fabrication there are many ways to create 3d shapes and real clothes, two of which, that you will learn about in depth at the University, are flat patterning and draping. Both have their places and as you learn and get more experienced you figure out when one method is better than the others.

Flat pattering is where you use measurements and physically draw out a pattern piece, with shaping darts, etc., on pattern paper and use it to cut fabric and sew. Draping is using fabric, usually inexpensive cotton like Muslin, and drape, pin and make shapes on the form or mannequin itself. Draping is great if your model is the same size as your mannequin, and/or if you're creating something with a lot of volume or draped fabric. For example, you might drape a beautifully flowing and organic looking evening dress. Flat patterning is better for structured pieces, and when working with models of different sizes/proportions than the mannequins. Personally, for my line, I am working with models of varying sizes, and my designs are more structured, so flat patterning works best. I will be draping certain aspects of my line, but the majority will be patterned flat.

I also got to meet with my models for the first time and I love all of them! Some of them are my friends or models I have worked with in the past, but some were new, and I am just so excited to work with all of them. My models range from a size 6 to a size 14, which is who I want to design for: the real woman!

Here is a sneak peak of my line!

imagejpeg_2_22.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Syndication