College of Design Student Blogs

Recently in Apparel Design Category

Congratulations Class of 2015

I hope you all survived your finals and are enjoying the beautiful day today. Many of you will be packing up and moving back home for the summer. Others will be enjoying having nothing to do and no deadlines to be concerned with. For some, today was your commencement for the College of Design Class of 2015. I've had the honor of working at commencement for the past three years, so I get to see all my friends walk across the stage. The class of 2015 is pretty special to me because I spent the majority of my college career with them. I couldn't be prouder of them and I will truly miss seeing them next year. All their hard work over the past four years has finally paid off.

My plans for the summer will be in the great state of New York. I recently accepted an internship with J. Mendel as a pattern maker. I'll be leaving in less than two weeks, so the next time you hear from me, I'll be in New York!

To end my post, I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS TO THE CLASS OF 2015!

Here is a photo of the ADes Class of 2015 and some of the speakers during commencement.

IMG_2398.jpg
IMG_2405.jpg IMG_2408.jpg IMG_2413.jpg IMG_2416.jpg

Visit http://blog.lib.umn.edu/design/studentblogs/ to view my blog and follow my journey. Also, be sure to check out the UMNDesign Instagram to see more of my photos.

Lee
Apparel Design

Proud Mama

Hi everyone!

The semester is coming to an end, which means everyone is finishing up their final projects and getting ready for finals week. Finals season brings on a lot of stress, but with that stress comes much needed relief when you're finally done with the semester. My advice to everyone is to prioritize your time, get enough sleep, and try to study in advance rather than the the night before your exams.

The last two weeks of the semester should go smoothly for me. For my final project in my photography class, I wanted to take a series of pictures and portraits in a fashion spread style. Luckily for me, FAB had its annual fashion show, RISE, on Sunday, so I decided to attend the show and take some pictures. The show presented work from many of our apparel design students at the U of M, as well as collections from local stores and designers.

The show went really well overall, and the student collections were very high quality. I was extremely impressed by everyone. The show was also a competition for the students where three freshman and sophomore students won for the best collections. I felt like a proud mama seeing them up there. I couldn't have been more impressed and proud of the caliber of work they submitted, especially for being so early in the apparel design program. Seeing talent like that from the freshman and sophomore class makes me excited for the program's future.

Here are the winners from the RISE fashion show:

Evan Ihde, Ka Ying Lee, and Sinéad Kelly

DSC_0212.jpg

Here are pieces from each of their collections:

DSC_0117.jpg DSC_0940.jpg DSC_0994.jpg

Follow my blog to keep up with what's happening in my life and follow my apparel design journey. Also, make sure to check out the UMNDesign Instagram to see more of my photos.

Lee
Apparel Design

Houston, We Don't Have a Problem

Man, this week flew by so fast and was jammed packed with stuff to do! Last Sunday, my fellow classmates and I flew down to Houston to finally present our hard work at the Wearable Technology Symposium for NASA!

Overall, the trip was a great success and we all had so much fun! Our flights down there went smoothly and we arrived in Houston with amazing weather. We went to Rocket Park to see this massive rocket, where all of us had a field day taking selfies. If you're presented with a massive rocket, what else are you going to? Of course you have to take tons of selfies.

That first night we all regrouped to put the final touches on our presentations and rehearsed to make sure our presentations were perfect. No matter how much we rehearsed, I don't think that there was any possible way we would have been able to overcome our nervousness. Presenting to NASA, a room full of engineer students and industrial design students, creates some pressure. All of our presentations went well, and we were well received by everyone. It was so amazing to see everyone else's designs, especially the other teams that did the same project as ours.

After the symposium, we got to take a tour of the training center for the astronauts, the current mission control, as well as the mission control used for the Apollo missions. Seeing that historic room was truly amazing. Everything was preserved to how it was originally. After that we went to Kemah Boardwalk and got to spend some real fun, quality time with each other, without having to worry about any projects. It was a great time, and it really brought us closer as a class. The perfect way to wind down our junior year and take us into our senior year as we prepare our senior collections.

Here some photos of the fun!
DSC_0425.jpg DSC_0472.jpg DSC_0490.jpg DSC_0502.jpg DSC_0530.jpg DSC_0542.jpg

Go to http://blog.lib.umn.edu/design/studentblogs/ to follow my blog and keep up with what's going on with me. Also, make sure to check out the UMNDesign Instagram to see more of my pics.

Lee
Apparel Design

Almost Time for Lift Off!

There is never a dull moment in the world of apparel design. I'm always busy, busy, busy. I have been working hard with my group on our NASA project. We were able to present our preliminary designs and experiment findings to our NASA mentors. Sadly, we were only able to have a conference call rather than doing a video conference. I would have loved to see who our mentors are so I could put faces to the names. Our presentation went really well, and I'm really proud of my group and the progress we made with it.

I think our mentors were impressed as well, especially with the direction we took on our project. Haptics usually deals with training people how to interpret vibrations, and that's what they usually see. Our project focuses on seeing what people intuitively interpret and what they think the vibrations are telling them to do, without training. Although our experiments were inconclusive, our mentors liked the idea because it was different from what they usually see. It's definitely something that designers can learn from and apply to their designs. As a designer, you should strive to be as innovative as possible and take risks. You'll be happy with the results in the end.

Now that we have completed our preliminary design and research, we can begin working on our final designs, evaluations, and presentations for the symposium when we go down to NASA in a couple of weeks. I'm excited to go, but I am also feeling nervous because we will be presenting to NASA! It's kind of a big deal.

Here is a photo of one of the other groups working on their project.

DSC_0487.jpg

Go to http://blog.lib.umn.edu/design/studentblogs/ to follow my blog and keep up with my life. Also, make sure to check out the UMNDesign Instagram to see more of my pictures.

Lee
Apparel Design

And We're Back

Welcome back from Spring Break, everyone!! This year, I wasn't able to do anything wild and crazy like go to Mexico, but the weather here was a lot better than the typical March in Minnesota, so that was a plus. The time off was nice, and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say it wasn't long enough to get everything done that I would have liked to.

I was able to do some experimentation with my NASA project for my Apparel Design studio class. If you don't remember, the project I was assigned to is Wearable Haptics for Directing. My group and I created a prototype to house all of our vibrating tactors, which we then tested on people to see how they reacted to the various stimuli we gave them. So far, we've got some interesting results. We'll be presenting our project to our NASA mentors this Wednesday, so I'm hoping that goes well. Wish me luck!

Here are some pics from our testing.
DSC_0135.jpg DSC_0151.jpg
DSC_0153.jpg DSC_0168.jpg

Lee
Apparel Design

About Halfway There

Spring break is almost here! Hope everyone has been studying and prepping for your midterms, good luck!

My studio class, where I'm working on the Wearable Haptics for Directing project for NASA, is coming along very nicely. We are in the experiment stage where we are building prototypes of our designs and will be doing experiments with human subjects. This means that I have a lot of soldering and wire work to do before break comes.

It's so interesting to see the reaction on people's faces when I tell them I'm an apparel design major and I'm doing a project for NASA. The reaction is usually the same, a disbelief that an apparel major would be doing something that's usually geared toward engineers. It just goes to show everything that we design isn't just about looking good, we are about making practical things that people can and want to wear. Apparel designers are a pretty amazing type of person -- I might have a bias, but I definitely believe it. We are hardworking and our training allows us to look at things in a different way with the ability to appreciate the details and construction of how things are made.

Here are some pictures of one of my project partners and I working on soldering tactors to wires for our prototype.

IMG_2086.JPG IMG_2085.JPG IMG_2091.JPG

Lee
Apparel Design

Research, Research, Research

Hope everyone's semester is going smoothly and that you all are staying warm! Right now I'm neck deep in research for all my classes.

In my studio classes, our projects for NASA are wrapping the background research phase. This is where we research the current state of knowledge of the topic matter in our projects, which helps us determine what direction we wish to take the project for further research. The project that my group is working on is called Wearable Haptics for Directing. Sounds rather complicated, and it is exactly how it sounds--complicated. The project revolves around being able to direct someone by only using vibrations. There is a little more to it, but that's the general idea. It's definitely outside the normal realm of my research of trends, target markets, and inspirations, but the information that I'm learning is still fascinating.

For my other classes, it's back to researching information about target markets, trends, inspirations, and conducting tons of interviews and surveys. I'm currently in the midst of researching the target market for my senior line. Right now, I imagine my target market is the creative and innovative type of person. They enjoy beautiful things and prefer quality over quantity. After my research, I'm hoping to get a better insight on who these people are, how they think, what they value, and so on.

I don't want to bore you with pictures of me doing research, so I'll give you a look at some of the work that I'm doing in my photography class.
IMG1_2.24.15.jpg IMG2_2.24.15.jpg
IMG3_2.24.15.jpg IMG4_2.24.15.jpg

Lee
Apparel Design

REVEL Senior Fashion Show

This past Saturday was the REVEL Senior Fashion Show! Revel-1.jpg If you attended the show, I hope you enjoyed it, and if you missed it, well you missed a really great show. It's always exciting to see the final collections from the seniors in the program. I find it inspiring to see what they think of and how they make their concepts come to life.

To the seniors, I'm so proud of the work you guys put into your collections, and congrats for completing your collections and putting on a great show! The senior show is a great example of how the Apparel Design program at the U of M prepares you to develop your style and aesthetic as a designer. For example, this year's show included pieces ranging from clothing for a rock band, to go-go dancers, to bridal.

The fashion show is mostly for the seniors, but I want to give a shout out to the juniors and sophomores who also Revel-2.jpgshowed a piece. Great work! There are definitely some amazing emerging talents in these groups of students. I can't wait until next year's show! I know it's going to be amazing, not just because it will be my senior collection showing, but because of the talent I've already previewed from this year's show. If you missed it this year, make sure you go next year. I guarantee it will be one to remember.

Great work to everyone!!

Lee
Apparel Design

So Far So Good

I hope everyone's first week of the new semester went well. It's crazy to be back at the U of M, getting back into the swing of things with classes, and seeing all the familiar faces again. It feels great to be with my College of Design family and especially my Apparel Design Class of 2016. NASA-logo.png

It's going to be busy, but there are some exciting things to come from this semester. In my Visual Merchandising class, we'll be working on window displays for the Weismann Art Museum and doing a competition for Target. The winner of the Target competition will actually get a monetary reward! Money is always exciting! In my Apparel Design studio class, we'll be working on projects from NASA, which will culminate in a trip to NASA in Houston to present our projects! Yay!! A trip to NASA!!

Then there is the fast approaching Revel Senior Fashion Show. The show will be on February 7th, 2015, so if you haven't gotten your tickets, get them fast! I'll be showing my tailored jacket, and from what I've already seen from the seniors, it should be a great show.
banner_revel1.jpg

Here's a link to get the show information and how to get tickets:

http://fashionshow.design.umn.edu/

I'm so glad that there are great opportunities like these, provided by the College of Design to its students. It's going to be a great semester, so until next time. Hope to see you at the show!

Lee
Apparel Design

Here We Go Again

Hope everyone had a great New Year's celebration and are sticking to their New Year's resolutions. I didn't make any resolutions this year. Mainly because I usually don't start one until two weeks into the new year, and then it only lasts about two more weeks after that. Plus, I've just been busy concentrating on putting myself back into the working mode at all my jobs.

Student jobs at the U of M are definitely a lifesaver, because they will usually have your position waiting for you when you come back from a long period of leave. I'm definitely grateful for having them; so if you are in need of work during the school year, definitely look into jobs at the University. For the rest of the break, I'll continue to work and try to replenish the money that I spent in London. Then in little over a week, the new semester begins again!

It's exciting and scary at the same time. I'm excited to see all my fellow classmates and to catch up with everything they've been up to in the past semester while I've been gone. I'll be showing one last piece for the senior Fashion Show before it becomes my senior Fashion Show. I begin research for my senior line this semester (a scary and exciting topic of its own). Then on top of that, I've accepted a position to be a TA for this semester's Fashion Illustration class. I can't even begin to express how honored I feel that they think my illustration skills are strong to offer me this position. I guess I better enjoy as much of this break as I can, because it looks like next semester is going to be a busy one.

A great view of downtown Minneapolis from the Minneapolis Institute of Arts.
IMG_1993.JPG

How to dress for Minnesota winters.
IMG_1976.JPG

Lee
Apparel Design

Goodbye London, Hello Minneapolis

I hope everyone had a great holiday! I'm back home in Minneapolis. It's been a little bit of an adjustment coming back home, but it feels great to be here. I miss London and all the people that I've grown so close to there. My body is still adjusting to being back in this time zone and my pocket book is a lot emptier, but the experience I had there was worth it all, and then some.

I'm excited to be coming back with all these new skills I've learned, and bring them into the new semester and the new year! After this, I promise I won't go on and on about my study abroad trip and how wonderful it was. I just want to recommend one more time, that if anyone is considering going abroad to study, do it! You'll make lasting friendships from people around the world. It will push you outside of your comfort zone, and make you a stronger person. You'll learn things and have experiences that you may not learn or have otherwise. You'll also create memories and stories that will stick with you for a lifetime.

If I've convinced you to go abroad, and you want to go to London, let me give you some tips. The first couple of days may be hard, you may get homesick and you may be a little scared, but don't worry, that's normal and it will pass. Don't be afraid to ask for assistance with directions or interact with people. They say that the majority of Londoners aren't even from London, so most people should be willing to help. You may not get any help the first couple of times, but don't give up--persistence will usually lead you in the right direction. If you aren't from a big city, you're going to have to learn not to take things personally and to toughen up a little. Don't be afraid to be a little aggressive when walking through the crowd. A smile and being polite will also usually be returned with a smile as well. Definitely save money. London is an expensive city, so you want to make sure your experience isn't hindered with the worry of financial issues. While you're abroad, I would also recommend having someone help you take care of any issues that you might still have at home, because it's hard juggling a life abroad as well as your life back home. Make sure to make your time there the best experience it can be by making new friends and making memories.

I'll leave you with those tips for now. Until next time, have a happy New Year! Be safe and make good choices!

This is a picture of the illustration of my final line up for the collection I designed.
DSC_0412.JPG

Here are some pictures of the final exhibition we did of our work in the semester.
DSC_0414.JPG DSC_0422.JPG

And now here is a picture of some of the best people in the world, my classmates and our tutor.
DSC_0419.JPG

Lee
Apparel Design

There's No Place Like Home

This is the final week for the program at Central Saint Martins in London. This week, we are doing our finishing touches on our final projects, as well as setting up an exhibition of all the work we have done while we've been here. The exhibition is in collaboration with the studio art students and the graphic design students who are also studying abroad. The task is to be able to curate all of our work into a cohesive exhibition, which means that we have to look at the space available to us, and decide what works we want to display and how we are going to display them. Turns out, putting up and curating an exhibition is a lot harder than you might think, especially when you have to make a cohesive show with so many different styles and pieces from everyone.

I'm excited and sad at the same time that my time here is almost done. I've learned a lot of things, had some amazing experiences, and have made some amazing new friends while I've been here. I'm excited to bring back the new knowledge I've learned here into the work I'll be doing when I get home. There will definitely be things I'll miss about London, but I'm definitely ready to go home.

Big Ben.jpg Church.jpg London Eye.jpg London Tower Bridge.jpg

Lee
Apparel Design

Au Revoir Paris! Hello London!

Our break is over and I'm back from Paris. Paris was an amazing trip! Such a beautiful city, with so much to see, experience, and of course, taste!! I went on top of the Arc de Triomphe and the Eiffel Tower, went down into The Catacombs of Paris, saw Notre Dame, and tasted amazing croissants and macarons! Definitely go to Paris if you get a chance, and if you do, it will definitely help if you learn some French phrases and words.

Now it's back to work. It's crazy to think that I only have three weeks left in this program at Central Saint Martins in London. I still feel like I just got here, but at the same time, like I've lived here for years. All of the electives are done for the program, and now we are on to our next module, Fashion Design 2. This is where we will be using all the skills that we learned from the previous 11 weeks in our final project. The project will be to create a collection, but a huge concentration will be on the process to make it into a portfolio-worthy piece to showcase our design process skills. Now to dive into research and to get some inspiration--wish me luck!

More pics from Paris!
Looking Down Eiffel Tower.JPG
Looking up Eiffel Tower.JPG
Arc De Triomphe.JPG
Paris Catacombs.JPG

Go to http://blog.lib.umn.edu/design/studentblogs/ to follow my blog and keep up with my life studying here in London. Also, make sure to check out the UMNDesign Instagram to see some more of my experiences abroad.

Lee
Apparel Design

Bonjour!

Bonjour! I'm writing this blog in Paris right now. I'm currently on break from school for a week, so I decided to take a trip to Paris for a couple of days. London is so close, so might as well. This last week my classmates and I handed in three major projects, so this break is much needed. Hopefully after this break, I'll be refreshed and ready to take on my last major class for the semester.

From my experience studying abroad so far, I have learned so much. The information and way of learning that they teach here has definitely elevated me as a designer. If you have a slight thought that you would like to study abroad, I would highly recommend it! Not only do you learn skills in your major to supplement your home university's teaching, but you also learn to become much more independent and self sufficient as a person. I can already tell that I've grown so much as person. I've attained new life skills that will definitely benefit me in the future. You'll learn problem solving skills and social skills, which you can take with you as you enter the workforce, and it also gives you interesting things to talk about when you interview for jobs.

Here are some pictures of Paris in my first day so far.

Paris 1.JPG
Paris 2.JPG
Paris 3.JPG
Paris 4.JPG

Go to http://blog.lib.umn.edu/design/studentblogs/ to follow my blog and keep up with my life studying here in London. Also, make sure to check out the UMNDesign Instagram to see more of my pics from Paris.

Until next time, I'll bid you adieu!

Lee
Apparel Design

Don't Watch Life, Live It

I hope that everyone had a great Halloween weekend! I celebrated it here in London with some of my classmates. It was a fun experience to see how Londoners celebrate Halloween. It is not the same as in the states, but was still fun. Halloween here is apparently not that big, but the people who do celebrate it definitely get dressed up.

I also went to the city of Bath. It was such a beautiful city for a day trip destination. The buildings and scenery in Bath were gorgeous and somehow created a warm filter that felt like a sunset the whole time. It definitely had a much more relaxed vibe than London.

I'm not going to lie, but I did sacrifice getting work done in order to take the day trip to Bath. I do think the experience was worth the upcoming late nights that I'll be having to catch up though. I'm not encouraging putting off your homework and enduring sleep deprivation, but I do encourage you to take every opportunity to try and experience new things. College is definitely about learning through classes and homework, but it is also learning through experiences as well. This is the time where most people have their greatest growth as a person, so if an opportunity comes, don't let it pass you by. The study abroad program here demands a lot and has high expectations, but I knew that if I solely concentrated on my homework, I would be missing out on the amazing things here in England. How often am I going to get this opportunity to be able to travel so easily to places I've never been?

Here are some pictures from Bath.
DSC_0200.jpg DSC_0213.jpg DSC_0221.jpg DSC_0254.jpg

Remember, I'm not encouraging you to put off your homework, but I'm merely saying don't let the world and life pass you by.

Go to http://blog.lib.umn.edu/design/studentblogs/ to follow my blog and keep up with my life studying here in London. Also, make sure to check out the UMNDesign Instagram to see more of my pics.

Lee
Apparel Design

A Designer in London

Well I'm in my sixth week of this 14-week program at Central Saint Martins. The work I'm doing here is definitely different compared to back home at the University of Minnesota, and it has made me appreciate the knowledge that that the College of Design has given me. Both of the schools have amazing qualities and I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to experience them both. That said, I guess no matter where you go, as long as you are in a fashion design program, you are in for a lot of work. So if you are thinking about doing fashion as a career, be prepared.

Studying here requires a lot of independent work, self-motivation, and being comfortable with ambiguity. These are qualities that a good designer should be comfortable with. Along with those qualities, a good designer also knows the importance of research and development to really give their designs creativity and uniqueness.

One of my teachers here said something that really stuck with me: "If you design from your head, without any research and development, you may come up with great designs in the beginning, but it will eventually run out, because you only design things that you already know." That's some knowledge I learned here, that I'm giving to you. Research can be tedious, especially if you already have ideas that you are set on. But research, if done correctly, can take your designs and ideas to the next level.

Here are some things that I've been working on here:

Learning to use the knitting machine.
Knitting Machine.jpg

Jewelry class experimentation.
Jewellery Class.jpg

Go to http://blog.lib.umn.edu/design/studentblogs/ to follow my blog and keep up with my life studying here in London. Also, make sure to check out the UMNDesign Instagram to see some of my pics.

Lee
Apparel Design

Hello London, it's me Lee

Hello everyone!! I hope everyone had a great summer and that you all are getting into the groove of the new semester. I have the fortunate opportunity to be studying abroad at Central Saint Martins in London this semester, so I'll be giving you the scoop of what life is like as a Londoner and as a student at the famous Central Saint Martins!

I've been in London for a little over three weeks now and I've been fortunate to have experienced unseasonably nice weather here. My first week was a whirlwind of glamour and fashion. I had the fortunate opportunity to intern for Marchesa during London Fashion Week, to help them debut their first show outside of New York. I was able to touch and work on some amazing dresses, dress models, give my input on designs, and also meet some amazing and talented people. Oh, and yeah, I may have been around some pretty famous people.... Anna Wintour... just for an example. That experience created a great start to my London semester.

Me working on a skirt for Marchesa
Marchesa Dress.jpg

Right after London Fashion Week, the semester began for me at Central Saint Martins. It was scary and exciting all at the same time. What are the other students going to be like? Will I like them? How many of them will there be? Is this semester going to be hard? So many thoughts and questions were running through my head, but here's tip from me to you; don't let those thoughts hold you back. Dive feet first, take an adventure, and go passed your safety zone. I guarantee that you'll get an experience of a lifetime as well as stories to last a lifetime. I've already made some amazing friends from around the world as well as have some amazing stories! All within the three weeks that I've been here.

Me at Oxford Street
Oxford St 1.jpg

Follow my blog to keep up today with my adventure studying abroad. I'm sure that I'll have lots to say while I'm here.

Lee
Apparel Design

Summer Projects

Classes have ended for a couple of weeks now and we are in the full swing of summer break. Even though I don't have any classes anymore, it still seems like my projects are never ending. I guess this is what I can expect if I want to own my own business creating my own clothes and creating outfits for clients. One of the projects I just completed was for the lead singer of the local band, Little Band, which he needed for the Rebel, Rebel event at First Avenue. It was an awesome experience, because it really tested what I've learned so far in my education on how to pattern and doing adjustments while doing fittings with him. I am very happy to say that, yes, I actually learned things while here. I am also working on some shirts and a costume for other people, which is going to help me spread my name out there as a designer. Another great thing that has happened, is that I received notification that I have been accepted into the study abroad program at Central Saint Martins in London for the fall 2014 semester. This means I have a lot to prepare for that this summer as well. It may be summer break, but I sure know how to keep myself busy.

Here's a pic of the outfit I help create on stage at the Rebel, Rebel event.
Little Man.jpg

Make sure to follow my blog at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and also look for my pics on the UMNDesign Instagram!

Lee
Apparel Design

Congratulations ADes Class of 2014

I survived finals week and completed my 2nd year in the Apparel Design program. Summer break has now officially begun! The past couple of days have been filled with commencement ceremonies for all the different colleges within the U of M. Commencement for the College of Design was this last Saturday, which I was able to help out with, and it was held inside the newly renovated Northrop. I don't know what it looked like before, but I all I can say is that it is beautiful inside and the theater is amazing. It was great to see all the people graduating, especially the ADes class of 2014. Of course, the Apparel Design students have a special place in my heart, and being able to see them be rewarded for all their hard work by watching them walk across the stage felt great. Things like this keep my hard work going, because I know eventually that will be me walking across that stage. I'm halfway there and I know that the next 2 years will probably fly by quickly.

Congratulations class of 2014 and for the ADes Class of 2014, I know that you all will achieve greatness! I'm so proud of all of you!

17 ADes 2014.jpg

Lee
Apparel Design

My A-Game

It is officially the last week of classes before finals week. Am I panicking? Just a lot. The list of projects and papers that need to be completed before finals, is small, but the projects that are due, are big. I'm not going to lie, when I say that once finals week is over, I will be so relieved. On a more interesting and lighter note, I got a huge surprise this weekend. I walk into the building to see my image from the Align Senior Fashion show on a poster for the Fashion and Communication Symposium. I was shocked to see such a big poster of me. If I make it big, which I plan on, I guess I'll have to get use to seeing my image everywhere. It is also a lesson for everyone else out there. You never know who is watching and where your image will be used, so definitely have your A-game ready at all times.

Me on a poster.jpg

Lee
Apparel Design

Runways and Interviews

Three weeks left until finals week and still so much more to do. This Wednesday is the WAM Elements: Design Competition and Runway Show! The run through orientation for the show is this afternoon, and I'm getting pretty excited for everything to start coming together! Another amazing thing happened as well, 2 of my classmates and I were interviewed by the Minnesota Daily about the show! Minnesota Daily isn't a highly renowned international publication by any means, but it still does have a presence around the campus and community, so it felt amazing to be asked to be interviewed for the show. Having all these experiences, doing the interview and doing runway shows, continue to reaffirm to me that I made the right decision in choosing the Apparel Design major. These are definitely things I love and would love to continue doing as a career.

Look for my article in the Minnesota Daily online and in the paper this Tuesday and don't forget to get your tickets to WAM Elements Design Competition and Runway Show! You can get your tickets here http://z.umn.edu/elements.

Here is a pic from the interview.

WAM Interview.jpg

Lee
Apparel Design

WAM Student Design Competition

There is about 5 weeks left of classes before finals week. It' s kind of crazy to think that the semester only has that many weeks left! With the end of the semester just around the corner, this definitely means that extra work and motivation is needed to get there. Here's some exciting news; everyone in my studio class was accepted into the Weisman Art Museum, Elements: Student Design Competition! The show is inspired by the Weisman's exhibition, Siberia: Imagined and Reimagined, which is what my non-traditional materials project for my studio class was created for. The show is in 2 weeks and I still have to put on some finishing touches to my piece, on top of the other projects and homework for the my other classes. 5 weeks, till the end of the semester, seems like so little time, and then it sometimes it seems like forever.

The competition is on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 and you can go to the www.weisman.umn.edu site to find more information about the show.

Facebook-Cover-photo-1024x379.jpg
Siberia_invite-251x324.jpg

Lee
Apparel Design

SPRING BREAK!

Spring Break!! I bet you all are wondering what magical and exotic destination I chose to spend my spring break. This year, I decided to spend my spring break here, in the Twin Cities, working and getting ahead on some of my projects. Yes, I'm a little jealous to hear all the different places that my classmates are going to, but I feel like staying put is just as relaxing and fun as going somewhere. I don't have to deal with travel and I can sleep in the comfort of my own bed. Plus, this city is still filled with fun things to do, which is definitely a bonus when living here. So, if you think that you are required to go somewhere for spring break and be crazy, believe me, you don't. Staying home in the Twin Cities, is just as fantastic!

Minneapolis.JPG

Make sure to follow my blog at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and also look for more of my pics on the UMNDesign instagram!

Lee
Apparel Design

Halfway There and Feeling Good

The semester is now almost halfway through, which means new projects and midterms. The life of an apparel designer is definitely never boring, there is always something to do. For the career and internship class, I was required to do an informational interview with a professional in the industry. I found a tailor and Men's Warehouse and a designer for Target to do an interview with. I learned some really great information through the interview and it was really inspiring to hear their stories of how they go to where they are now. I also got to meet alum of the apparel design program at the Dean's Reception this last weekend, who is now a designer for Target as well. The informational interviews and meeting the alum, really confirmed that this program and this career is something that I want to do. It also confirmed that there are jobs out there for us apparel designers, which definitely takes a lot worry away from what to expect in the future. If you guys ever get a chance, contact an employer that you think you might want to work or intern at and do an informational interview, it's definitely worth it to get insider knowledge about the industry.

Below is a picture of my completed studio project.

Siberia Front.JPG

Make sure to follow my blog at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and also look for pics on the UMNDesign instagram for Align pics!

Lee
Apparel Design

Align Senior Fashion Show

This last Saturday the apparel design seniors had their fashion show, Align. This was a culmination of all the years of learning and hard work. As each collection went down the runway, you could tell the seniors put a great deal of work and thought into their pieces. Even the main event were the collections from the seniors, the juniors and sophomores also were able to put a piece into the show, and they need to be acknowledged for their hard work as well. From the beginning of the day to the very last thank you to the attendees of the show, a lot of work went to making Align come together. What an experience! It was definitely exhausting helping rounding up my sophomore class and getting them ready along with making sure everything for the show was prepared for showtime. Even though the day was hectic and exhausting, it also supplied a lot of inspiration and energy. The show was a complete success and I couldn't be prouder of everyone involved! If you missed it this year, definitely keep an eye for next years show; you don't want to miss this amazing event.

Here are some pictures from the Align Fashion Show.

Stayce Petraborg.JPG Crystal Compton.JPG Kayna Hobbs.JPG Align Seniors.JPG

Make sure to follow my blog at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and also look for pics on the UMNDesign Instagram for more of my pics!

Lee
Apparel Design

Back in the Groove

The semester is now in full swing, which means projects and assignments are back in full force. Right now in my apparel design studio we are working on a project in collaboration with the Weismann Art Museum's third annual design competition. The competition is Siberia: Imagined and Reimagined. The goal of the project is to basically portray Siberia using non-traditional materials, innovative textures, and/or structural shaping with an emphasis on sustainable best practices. The sustainable part is what makes the project challenging, so this weekend I went thrift shopping and got some great stuff from Savers and I think I have pretty good plan set. Below you can see the bags of stuff I came home with, and luckily since it was from Savers it wasn't too much of a cost and it'll fit the sustainability concept.

Savers Loot.JPG

Also at the same time, the senior fashion show, Align, is coming up which I will be modeling my pants from last semester and creating a top to go with it. I should probably stop blogging now and get to work.

Align_banner.jpg

Make sure to follow my blog at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and make sure to visit http://fashionshow.design.umn.edu to get more information about the Align Apparel Design Fashion show. Also look for pics on the UMNDesign instagram for updates on my projects!

Lee
Apparel Design

Life Goes On

Welcome back students!! For the past four days I was at a leadership retreat with my fraternity, Delta Lambda Phi. I was secluded from civilization somewhere in Ohio and all technology linking me to the outside world was eliminated, which means my cellphone and laptops were not available to me. Our ability to connect to basically anything through the use of technology is fantastic, but this past weekend has reminded me that my life doesn't necessarily have to revolve around it. The removal of technology was actually refreshing and allowed me to really engage in the leadership retreat. Life still happens, even without technology. I'm definitely going to periodically take this concept into the new semester to allow me to fully concentrate on my work, especially since the Align Fashion show is coming up on February 15th, so I'll need to make sure I put out quality work. Everyone try a day without your cellphone and see what happens.

A picture of Ohio from the plane.
2014-01-17 11.45.13.jpg

Make sure to follow my blog at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and make sure to visit http://fashionshow.design.umn.edu to get more information about the Align Apparel Design Fashion show!

Breaks Up! Back to Work!

Happy New Year!! Hope 2014 is going well for everyone! Winter break is now halfway over, which means that I need to start getting those winter break projects started and completed! The past couple of weeks of no deadlines and assignments have been fantastic, but as a designer, I've gotten bored rather quickly! I can feel my mind screaming for stimulation, so with this crazy temperatures plunging, I think it's a good time to stay inside and warm and keep busy working on some personal projects, one of them being the dress for the Hearts for Fashion, fashion show coming up this February. It'll at the Mall of America, which lots of exposure. Here's a sketch of what I'm proposing to make. My inspiration comes from the heart being a muscle, and mimicking the musculature of the body.

RED Dress_Page_1.jpg RED Dress_Page_2.jpg

Follow my blog and see how the dress comes out at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs!

Lee
Apparel Design

Finals Week!!

Finals week! The light at the end of the tunnel is finally coming into sight. Final projects are wrapping up for everyone, which means the studios are occupied 24/7 with people making their final touches. You start to meet new people in your program that are in different years and make new friends really quickly. You're there in the studio with them for hours on end, so you begin to recognize each other. That's what is so great about the studio life in the Apparel Design program, you're all working, you also are having fun at the same time. You have to, in order to remain sane through this hectic time for everyone. Here are some pictures of the studio life during finals week. For those of you taking finals and finish up projects, GOOD LUCK!!

Studio Life 1.JPG Studio Life 2.JPG

Go to z.umn.edu/cdesblog and follow my blog!

Lee
Apparel Design

Don't Forget About You

Thanksgiving break is over. Here's a picture of me and the meal that I made for my friends for Thanksgiving.

1461831_10202491277303641_2079014010_n.jpg

I look at the calendar and see that there is only a week and a half left in the semester. Yikes!! I have so much to do! All my final projects are going to be due very quickly, which means I need to kick it into high gear. It's hard during breaks, like this Thanksgiving break that we had, to motivate yourself to try to stay on top of things still. This passed week, I received the unfortunate news that one of my best friends had passed away, so it was especially hard to motivate myself. In college, and with the demanding work the College of Design requires, I think people need a reminder sometimes that they still need to take care of themselves in situations such as these. Of course, you still want to be preemptive with these things as well by communicating to all your instructors, which I did, and of course they were all understanding and advised to take care of myself. So to remind everyone, classes are important, but so are you, take care of yourself.

Follow my blog to continue to get updates about my projects and to see what I'm working on next at z.umn.edu/cdesblogs!

Lee
Apparel Design

Projects, Project, Projects

The 2nd project for my Apparel Design studio, the pants project, is now complete. Below is a picture of my class wearing our projects. I always love seeing the ideas and work of my fellow classmates. They fuel the competitive side of me to be better and they also inspire me with great ideas. The talent in this program never ceases to amaze me. I'm the one on the far right, with my punk rock inspired pants.

Pants Project.jpg

Our next project will be our Line Project, where we have to expand on either our dress project or pants project to create a line from the original idea. On top of that, I'm also going to try to prepare for the RED runway show at the Mall of America in February. The work of an apparel design major never ends.

Lee
Apparel Design

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Where does the weekend go? I always feel like the weekend goes by so quickly and Monday just sneaks right back up on you. That's definitely how I feel about this last weekend, which was definitely fun, since my weekend began with my favorite holiday, Halloween! I feel like Halloween is an apparel designers dream holiday, at least it is for me. Having the ability and knowledge of how to pattern and sew gives apparel designers a huge advantage when it comes to costumes. You can become more creative and the costumes are custom, so they fit so much better! Plus, it gives you amazing practice on utilizing the skills that you learn in the program. I've made my own costumes before, but after utilizing my new skills, they are so much better. I'm definitely not going to rule out costume design as a possible career option. Hope the rest of you had a great Halloween as well!

Halloween.JPG

To continue to get updates about me and my life as an apparel design major go to z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and follow my blog!
Lee
Apparel Design

So Much to Learn, So Little Time

One project down! Yay! My dress project is complete for my apparel design studio class and I got my grade back. I'm not going to disclose what I got, but I'm satisfied with the results. Here is the final dress.

ADes Studio II Dress Project.jpg ADes Studio II Dress Project 2.jpg

Now onto the next project, pants! Pants are definitely not going to be easy, especially since this will definitely be something that I've never done before. There's that, then all my other midterm projects and exams coming up. This includes my Illustration for Apparel Design class, which is proving to be a lot more work than expected. I have a background in art and drawing, so I thought that I would have the upper hand in doing figure drawings, but illustrating figures for apparel design takes on a different set of rules than I'm used to. More things to learn, which is exactly why joined this program, I always feel like I'm being challenged and I'm constantly learning. So if you're not learning anything when you're in college, you're probably doing it wrong.

To get updates about me and see how I'm using putting my new knowledge to work go to z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and follow my blog!

Lee
Apparel Design

The College of Design Family

Last Friday I was invited to be a part of Experience Minnesota, which is an open house event for multicultural students, to represent the apparel design program on the student and staff panel. The panel consisted of students and staff representing the architect, interior design, graph design and me, for apparel design. Going through the classes in your major, you grow a strong bond with other students in your major, since you all take the same classes together. You sometimes forget that there is still the rest of the College of Design out there. It's definitely an amazing feeling to rejoin the rest of the college and hearing about their projects or life in their fields. We all have our differences, but yet, still have many similarities in regards to design and our life in the College of Design. It's like we're a big family. This thought is definitely encouraging, knowing that you're not alone in College of Design and that there are other students who know exactly what you're going through and can be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Below you can see Dean Tom Fisher talking to the prospective students, the prospective students, and the student panel.

Tom Fisher.JPG
Propective Students.JPG
Student Panel.JPG

To hear more updates about me, Go to z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and follow my blog!

Lee
Apparel Design

Time Flies When You're Designing

Wow! I'm into my 4th week of the semester, but yet it still feels like the semester just started a week ago!

Right now in my apparel design studio class we've been working on draping, which is fantastic! It really gets you involved with the fabric and the dress forms and makes you feel like you're on Project Runway or something. Our dress project is coming due this Thursday, so the feeling of Project Runway's time crunch is definitely in the air. Below are pictures of what I've been working on. The garment itself is a test in muslin, and once I've decided the fit is perfect I'll create in in my final fabrics.

photo 1.JPG
Dress back.JPG

Time definitely flies fast in the apparel design program and you definitely won't be bored. At times, it can seem overwhelming to think about all the work that goes into my projects, but something about being in the studio and working with the fabrics and dress forms gives me energy. Then once I finish my projects and see the end result, the satisfaction of seeing it go from plain fabric to an actual dress is so gratifying and rejuvenating!

To see the final results of my dress and hear more updates about me, Go to z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and follow my blog!

Lee, Apparel Design major

Apparel Designer in the Making

Hey everyone! I'm Lee Tran. I'm the new blogger for the apparel design program at the University of Minnesota, and I'll be blogging about my experiences and myself as an apparel design major throughout the year. This will be an experience and adventure that we can share together!

I guess to get things started, let's talk about me. I'm a second year in the apparel design program. I'm originally from Sioux City, IA and lived in South Dakota for about 8 years. I was previously a marketing major at a different university, but I always had a passion for fashion design, so I did my research and found the program here that U of M. Of course, I looked into other schools when I did my research, but the location, the price, and the city sold the U of M for me.

My life here at the U of M doesn't just end with my academics. I am also an active member of the Delta Lambda Phi fraternity, which keeps me very active with various things in the community, with emphasis on the GLBTQ community. I also have many other interests like shopping for both designer and bargain gems, but you'll definitely get more insight on me as my blog progresses. You'll basically find out that I like to have fun with everything!

Here you can see me with my fraternity at the Pride Parade and below is a closer shot of me in my red toga! I made and dyed the togas myself!

IMG_6801.jpg

IMG_6803.jpg

Go to z.umn.edu/cdesblogs and follow my blog to read more about my experiences and me as an apparel designer major!

Graduation!

Hello everyone! This will be my final blog entry, as I am officially done with college and have graduated with my degree! This past Saturday I participated in commencement with my entire graduating class of 2013, with the rest of the College of Design. It was a fun day, full of emotions and activities. The ceremony itself was split into sections by major, which meant that I was in line and graduated with my fellow apparel design majors, which was a great treat. It was a fun time to celebrate and share the experience with the girls that I have been with for the past 4 years and bonded with. Our graduation and commencement was also a great treat, because our college and graduating class is one of the smallest at the University of Minnesota. Our ceremony was more intimate than others and we got to share the experience with professors that we knew well, including faculty and others like the Dean of the college. We even got to hug all of our professors! This is something that I truly enjoyed in my time at the University and within the College of Design, the tight knit group of staff, professors and students that you become over the years. The college is small enough that you really get to share experiences with close friends and classmates, as well as professors, that you really feel care about you, as a student and as a person.

Below is a fun photo of my graduating class of apparel designers!
468663_10151581928934455_872413424_o.jpg

What's next for me, you may ask? Well, I have officially accepted a position as an assistnat designer for a small local swimwear company. I am very excited about the opportunity and can't wait to start! I will be working with a very small team (head designer, sample maker, manufacturing team, etc) to create and relaunch their current brand. The brand is one that I admire and has become near and dear to my heart and I can't wait to see where I can go with the company. The company is located here in Minnesota, so I will be staying around the cities for a while, although I will be relocated from St Paul to Minneapolis. I won't be blogging here anymore, but I will be around, so if you ever have any questions, feel free to post here, I'll be watching the blogs.

Thank you for reading!
Lucie, Apparel Design

MN Goes Green

Hello readers! As you may know, I am officially done with school and will be graduating this Saturday! Crazy how time flies! I wanted to let you know about a great event that is happening on Friday, that I will unfortunately (due to graduation) not be able to attend.

The event is called MN Goes Green, and is a fashion event dedicated to sustainable, responsible and eco-fashion. It is put on in collaboration with Sol-Inspirations which is a local organization that focuses on sustainable and responsible fashion within the Twin Cities. They regularly put on fashion shows, clothing swaps, and most recently a student scholarship competition. The competition was this past semester and had students from many local design colleges participate, including the University of Minnesota's College of Design. Crystal Compton, a current Junior in the program, actually won the competition and scholarship! Crystal and the other designer participants will be showing their creations and having them displayed at the MN Goes Green event this Saturday. There will also be energy displays and demonstrations on how to be more sustainable and eco-conscious in your own home. There also is a clothing swap, where you can trade gently used unwanted clothing for items from other donors that you perfer, as well as tailoring on the spot. Below is a photo of Crystal and her winning design and the link for more information about the event and tickets!

860399_568023603207710_243516556_o.jpg

http://www.mngoesgreen.com/

Lucie, Apparel Design

Target Project Finale!

Hello all! Today I wanted to share with you the details of our final project in it's entirety! This project, that I have blogged about previously in my posts, was a design collaboration with Target Corporation's Design and Product Development team. The assignment was to find a "white space opportunity" within an assigned floor pad. A "floor pad" is a type of apparel and design we were given, for example women's ready to wear or intimates/performance. Our flood pad was "big girls" or girls sizes 4-16, which is basically elementary aged girls. A "white space opportunity" is defined by Target as an area of the market that Target currently isn't tapping into. This could be unique to Target, as in other competitors are designing it and marketing it to customers, but Target hasn't caught on yet, or something that no one in the industry currently is carrying. Our white space that we identified was girls apparel that was in between basics and very girly almost "teen" clothing. We wanted to design something that little girls would want to wear, but that was also appropriate and appealing to their parents and adults in their life. We decided to pair with STEM, which stands for Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics, and is an organization that aims to introduce these fields to girls and get them more involved through after school programs and summer camps. We took inspiration from technology and science imagery to create our color palette and many of the style lines and prints used in the line.

We presented our project to Target Corporation last Thursday, and overall it went well! We received good feedback and our group was very happy with how everything turned out. It is also going to be a great portfolio piece, as we took a product line from inspiration to concept to production, and on to merchandising and advertising plan. Below are some images from the project!

IMAG1276.jpg

IMAG1305.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

End of Semester

Hello all! It's finally spring in Minneapolis! It is a welcome change on campus, that is for sure!

As some of you may know, I am currently a senior and will be graduating in 3 weeks! That fact alone is crazy to me, as I feel like my 4 years at the University of Minnesota have really flown by. That being said, I am very very excited! The end of any semester means the wrap up of final papers, projects and exams, as well as the dreaded finals week! This semester, I have three final projects, two presentations, two final papers, and one final exam. This sounds like a lot, but realistically it is comparable to many of my seamsters, so I'm use to it. A nice thing about design majors, and the College of Design, is that most of your classes will have final projects and presentations rather than tests or exams. These can be studio classes with final garments and illustration projects, or something like what I am working on currently, with my Target collaboration which combines my major, apparel design, and minor, retail merchandising. This also means that most of these projects are due before finals week, or during the last week of class. This gives you more time for other classes, usually general education requirements, that typically have finals and exams during the week of finals. Having this kind of separation and timing allows you to prioritize and focus on what is most important at the time.

One of my big final projects if my Target collaboration that I am working on. This project is due and will be presented this Thursday! We have a lot to wrap up, but the project is coming together well and looks great! A part of the project was to create a "takeaway" item for our Target sponsors to keep after they view our project, to act as a remeinder of our group and project. I create a paper doll for our takeaway, and am currently working on finishing up all the details! Below is a pic!

paperdollpic.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Art Crank

Hello readers! This week I thought I would blog about the great art and design shows and opportunities here in the Twin Cities. Having a great design school in the heart of such a thriving art city is a wonderful opportunity. I have already blogged about MNFashion and Minneapolis St Paul Fashion Week, which happens twice a year, with other singular events occurring throughout the year.

Another great event that I just attended was the annual Art Crank event. Art Crank is a great Minneapolis event that combines the two loves of the Cities'; bicycling and art! Art Crank brings together graphic designers and screen printers to create bicycle inspired art, which then is displayed and sold during the night of Art Crank. It is a fun event to visit and meet other art and cycling enthusiasts. Below is a picture of one of the prints!

IMG_20130406_222912.jpg

Another great event coming up is Retro Rama. Retro Rama is an annual event put on by the Minnesota Historical society that revolves around vintage clothing and style. There is vintage clothing on display, historical food and crafts, and a fashion show featuring looks by local designers that were inspired by a historical period. This year the event is on May 17th, and I encourage any of you to come check it out!

Lucie, Apparel Design

Prototype fit tests

Hello all! This week I thought I would blog about my design collaboration with Target and how it is going. Last week, in my blog, I wrote about the print that my group designed and printed in the digital lab. This week I wil elaborate on what we did with that fabric!

We took the printed fabric and continued working on our prototype for Target. Our other two fabrics used in the design are coordinating teal and brown corduroy. We used the print fabric to accent the garment in pops, and unexpected areas. The print is being used on the inside of the cuffs, the underside of the collar, and the inside lining of the entire shirt. Below is an image of our garment!

IMAG1125.jpg

We met with our Target design team counterparts last week, and went over our designs and talked about potential issues with production. When a designer is designing something for their own line, like we have done so far, you only think about what the price is of the one product. When designing for a company like Target, you have to think about the entire production line and all that goes into it, as far as cost. Many of our potential issues were in regards to costing, which makes sense. Creating your own print and using three different fabrics in one garment can be costly!

More next week!
Lucie, Apparel Design

Fabric Printing

This past week I used the new fabric printer in McNeal to create some of my own fabric designs for my soft-lines class, and I thought it would be fun to show it to you!

The fabric printer is a new piece of equipment and is available to all College of Design students. Paying your student service fees gives you access to great equipment like the computer labs, plotters, and now this fabric printer.

The fabric printer prints on 100% cotton broadcloth that is 44 inches wide. When printing it is important to remember to format your image to be no bigger than 42 inches wide, to accomodate for the selvage edge. This ensures that your entire image will show up and won't fray. When you create your pattern or print, like I did, use photoshop and create your image with no higher than 150dpi. If you are printing more than one yard, decreasing your dpi may be necessary in order to print. Printing costs are by the foot and can be found at labs.design.umn.edu.

Here are some photos of my fabric! This is a print of an abstracted photo of plant cells under a microscope. We will be using this fabric to line and accent our shirt for our Target collaboration.

IMAG1068.jpg

IMAG1074.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Design Real Life

Hello all! Hope you had a great April Fool's day yesterday! :)

Lately I have been very busy perfecting my design portfolio, resume and website, to create my professional and creative design persona for the public eye. This is very important for any career, but in design, your portfolio can be more important as it shows what you can really do as a creative individual. In my experience in design and design related jobs, resumes are tools to get you noticed and brought in for interviews, while your website and portfolio will show you as a designer and what you can do, and in turn will get you the job. (Hopefully!)

In the College of Design, and in the apparel design major, you take two specific classes that focus on the professional and presentation side of you as a designer. In your sophomore year you will take one based specifically on internships and how to access positions and apply, as well as ways to stand out from the pack. You will start your resume and website process in this class, and continue it as you learn and grown through the years. The second class, which I am in currently but in the future will be in the sophomore or junior year of study, focuses on resumes and final portfolios, which will help in obtaining a full time design position after graduation.

Below is a link and photo of my website/portfolio that I am working on.

http://www.luciejane.com/

blog.png

Lucie, Apparel Design

Target: Design Part 2

Hello everyone! I hope you all had a lovely spring break, and relaxed a bit. I did, but now its back to the grind, and the last 6 weeks of my college career before I graduate! I can't wait!

The biggest project that I am currently working on is our Product Development's collaboration with Target Corporation, to create a product and marketing plan for an assigned floor pad. The floor pads that Target had us focus on varied from infants and toddlers to menswear to intimates. Our assigned floor pad, and target market, was "Big girls", which means girls ready to wear fashion in sizes 4-16. Our assignment was to research the target market and what was being offered to them currently and pinpoint what was missing. Then to design a line of clothing and products to fit this missing section, and create a floor plan, marketing strategy and advertising campaign for the collection.

Our group decided to focus on clothing for girls that wasn't overly girly, or too grown up for their age group. We conducted surveys, and completed extensive research and discovered that there was a gap in this area, most of what is offered currently is either very girly with frills and sparkles, or was too basic for girls to be interested (plain tee shirts, etc). We are at the point now where we are sketching and deciding what the pieces in our line/collection will actually be. Below is an image of our mood board!

882286_10102953326506940_822274379_o.jpg

Lucie, Apparel design

Spring Break

Hello readers! I hope all of you are having a wonderful spring break, and relaxing a bit! Last week was my week of midterms so it was rather stressful. I had four papers, a portfolio class project, and a retail midterm exam all due! But, I got through it, and got to have some time to relax over the week of break. I first headed home to Iowa, to visit family and have some down time, but then it was off to Chicago for the weekend! While in Chicago, I had a great time visiting the Art Institute of Chicago. Having time off from school is great to relax, but I also try and take advantage of family trips to have the opportunity to see art and design exhibitions around the country. Last summer, I was able to see Jean Paul Gaultier's exhibit in the de Young Museum in San Francisco, and this week I was able to see the exhibit on Japanese fashion in the Art Institute of Chicago: "Material Translations". The exhibitions displays many fashions and designs from Japanese designers and showcases how Japanese fashion, and more broadly Eastern fashion, is different from the more commonplace (for us) Western fashion world. Eastern fashion is quickly spreading and it's influence is being seen on high fashion runways in New York, London, etc.

The exhibition shows designs, more specifically, from the 1980s through the early 2000s, and has pieces from more well known lines like Comme des Garçons, by designer Rei Kawakubo. While I wasn't sure if I could take photos in the gallery, I wanted to show you a piece from the exhibition. Below is an image from the gallery, which I found online. Enjoy!

Japan.png

Lucie, Apparel Design

Goldstein Exhibition

Hello all!

This week I thought I would talk about the current exhibition at the Goldstein Gallery of Art and Design. For those of you who aren't familiar with the gallery, this art and costume museum is housed within McNeal Hall on the St Paul campus and is home to a very extensive archive of historical costume and fashion items. Some of these items are on display during the year as part of the gallery's biannual exhibitions, but all of them are available to view and examine at any time by appointment with the gallery and collection staff.

The current exhibition is entitled Redefining, Redesigning Fashion and is all about sustainability within the fashion and design industries. The concept for the exhibition was to approach sustainable design and eco-conscious fashion in a unique and new perspective, within predetermined categories like unique construction, materials, concept, etc. There are over 50 pieces on display, ranging from those designed with reusable and responsibly obtained fabrics, to those created out of unconventional materials.

I have two of my own designs in the gallery, on display. One is categorized within the unconventional materials category, and one is a piece focused on versatility. Below is a picture of my versatile piece in the gallery!

IMAG0911.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Dean's Reception Part 2

Hello readers and viewers! I hope you all survived the crazy Minnesota weather this past week.

I wanted to post again about The Dean's Reception, because this week I can share pictures from the event! So, the Dean's Reception allows incoming freshmen, and their families, the unique opportunity to meet and interact with the large group of incoming freshmen in the entire College of Design, their individual discipline: graphic design, interior design, apparel design, etc, and the professors and staff that are within the college as well. It also allows upperclassmen, like myself, to meet new students who we will be interacting with. This semester, the Dean's Reception was slightly bittersweet, as I met students who will be at school next year, after I graduate! Imagining that I only have 2 months of school left, in my college career, is insane! I cannot believe how quickly the time has passed.

During the apparel design major specific time of the Dean's Reception, I had a chance to talk to incoming students about portfolio review. Portfolio review is most likely, for me at least, the scariest part of the first year during your time at the College of Design. Portfolio review takes place during finals week of your first spring semester, after your first studio class: studio one. I will write more about portfolio review next week! In the meantime, here is a photo of me and Lee, the other apparel design student who spoke at the Dean's Reception.

69211_10151491610091113_269280524_n.jpg

Lucie, Apparel Design

Dean's Reception

Hello all! It was wonderful to meet some of you at the Dean's Reception this past weekend! If any of you couldn't make it and have questions, feel free to leave them below and I will be in touch!

The event was a great one and I had a lot of fun. I got to have lunch with incoming freshman and their families, which was super fun to hear stories about how people got interested in design and how they chose the University of Minnesota. I also got to tell my story, and how I made my way to Minnesota and the College of Design, which was a fun trip down memory lane! I actually attended the Dean's Reception my senior year of high school back in 2009! I cannot believe that was 4 years ago, because my time at the U has gone so fast!

The past 4 years have been a blur, and I couldn't be happier. I loved sharing part of my last year with incoming freshmen who I hope have as great I time as I have in the College of Design. I thought that it would be fun to share a picture of one of my first projects ever with you! This is something that I did back in high school, before I had decided to pursue design as a career and college choice! I will be using this in my portfolio which I am working on right now in one of my classes. Enjoy!

_MG_0602.jpg

Lucie, Apparel design

Senior line!

Hello all!

This past Saturday was my senior fashion show FLUX! It was absolutely wonderful and it went off without a hitch! All my models looked beautiful and all the clothing fit perfectly and looked flawless on the runway. This show was the final finish line for us 17 senior designers, after 4 years in the program. I cannot begin to tell you how proud I am of our group and how far we've come. Each of us has a specific and unique aesthetic and design style, as well as target market, ranging from punk-inspired children's'-wear to menswear to plus size evening and bridal. We all held our own and showed collections true to us as designers. I showed my line of four evening looks on models ranging from a size 6/8 to a size 14/16. I was beyond pleased by how all my girls looked and with the way the audience responded. In fact, if you're interested in seeing my pieces, I will be bringing two of them to the Dean's Reception this weekend! Some of you will be there, I am sure, and I will be speaking about the Apparel Design program at the U of M and meeting with incoming students about the student life here on campus. Here is a shot of one of my pieces that i will be showing at the Dean's Reception, on the runway!

ElizabethCityPages.jpg

If you will be at the Dean's Reception, feel free to say Hi and ask me any questions! If you won't be there, go ahead and post any questions here and I will do my best of answer them!

Lucie, Apparel Design

Syndication