« St. Thomas student missing near river | Main | Zamlen still missing one week later »

Lemaire steps down as Wild's coach

Jacques Lemaire, the only coach in Minnesota Wild history, resigned on Saturday following the team’s 6-3 win over Columbus in the season finale.
Lemaire, 63, helped build Minnesota’s expansion team and coached the team through eight years and three playoff appearances including one trip to the Western Conference finals in 2002-03, according the the Pioneer Press.
"I think it's time for the players to get a new coach and myself to look for other stuff," Lemaire said to the Star Tribune. "I always said there'll be a time. There comes a time that you know it's the right time to go, and I know this. I had a great time, man. I had eight great years."
As a player with Montreal, Lemaire won eight Stanley Cup championships and added another two when he served as the Canadians general manager. His only Cup win as a coach came in 1995 with the New Jersey Devils.
Wild general manager Doug Risebrough did not comment on who would replace Lemaire although both local news outlets singled out Kevin Constantine, who currently coaches the Wild’s American Hockey League affiliate team in Houston and has previous NHL coaching experience, as well as Lemaire’s assistants Mario Tremblay and Mike Ramsey.