« Dear Diary, (Kevin Daly) | Main | Brendan Harper »

Greg #18

Today was a day full of emotion. From the orphanage to the game in city stadium everything seemed to have more meaning and emphasis on it. No words can describe the emotion that was in the orphanage. From the tears running down Miguel’s face to the smiles upon the children it was hard not to feel a sense of compassion and appreciation for what we have. Though we were only there for a short period of time the affect on those kids hopefully is as long lasting for them as it will be on me. It puts things in perspective seeing how those kids lived and what they have gone through in their lives.

With that in mind it was a different game that I played at city stadium tonight. The ball and the field were the same but something was different. Stepping onto that field I felt a greater sense of appreciation for being able to play the game of soccer in a stadium against a Brazilian club but just being able to play. The victory only added to how great the day was as Miguel said that we were the first team that he’s seen come into Brazil and win which came as a shock to me but still I was flattered to be a part of it. But in retrospect a win didn’t necessarily mean everything to me at that point nor did the fact I didn’t play well. I stepped off that field thinking that life was more than soccer and more than a game but rather something entirely different. Something that I guess I still have to figure out and understand.