World Languages Day (WLD) 2013 saw many new developments and changes this time around. This year WLD attracted approximately 1,000 high school students, came home to the East Bank, and featured smaller, more personal Welcoming Remarks.
WLD began gradually and humbly as energetic volunteers directed students from school buses and instructors checked in to teach their classes. For breakfast, croissants were served with beverages in the indoor courtyard of Rapson Hall.
To acquaint high school students with the University of Minnesota's vast campus, Admissions Guides took the students on a short tour the Knoll area, so they could see their classroom buildings.
Several schools attended, comprising a variety of studied languages:
- Avalon (Spanish)
- Apple Valley (French)
- Augsburg Fairview Academy (Spanish)
- Cannon Falls (Spanish)
- Coon Rapids (French and Spanish)
- Melrose Area High School (Spanish
- Milaca (Chinese)
- Park High School (ASL, French, German, Spanish)
- Robbinsdale Cooper (French, Spanish)
- South High School (Spanish)
- St. Louis Park (French, German, Hebrew, Spanish)
- St. Anthony Village High School (Spanish)
- Washburn (English)
- Zumbrota-Mazeppa (Chinese)