The Journalistic Mission and Future

I think journalism’s mission of providing information to the public is very noble and important. I learned how important it is to provide information to the public when I wrote my very first story. I had just joined the newspaper staff my junior year in high school and I was assigned to cover the teacher’s contract negotiations. It was a little daunting having to interview the school board president, the superintendent, mediators, and teachers about this sensitive issue and the superintendent didn’t even want to talk to me, but I thought it was really neat that I could inform the whole school about this issue because the teachers ended up going on strike for three weeks. The strike had a huge impact on all of us and the students deserved to know what was going on so I was really pleased that my article helped the students at my school to understand how the contracts were set up, why the teachers went on strike, what their demands were, and how the process of mediation works.

I really like that journalists can combine their love of writing with other interests that a journalist finds important. For instance, I love animals so I enjoy writing about any issue related to them, and I’m minoring in film studies because I love studying film, television, and cultural studies. Obviously hard news stories are very important, but I think a journalist can ask tough questions and uncover important information with any topic. Also, people should be able to get information on anything they find interesting and important to them. For instance, I want to be a film critic and/ or an entertainment reporter. I’m not talking about Britney shaving her head, but I think that there are important issues like payola, Don Imus and the issue of freedom of speech, and how social and cultural issues like 9/11 and the war in Iraq are reflected in film to name a few. Also, I think interpreting films and discovering how filmmakers visually convey a message or begin a dialogue on issues in society are very important to address because films and the entertainment industry are such a huge part of American culture and people are greatly affected by them. Also, I do just find it enjoyable to read profiles on my favorite actors and directors and to read about films and television because it’s interesting and important to me.

Also, I think it’s important for journalists to provide the public with information that they may not even know about. For instance, most of my friends did not even know what a puppy mill even is, so I was pleased that my final feature explained something very important and brought awareness to puppy mills. I have my bias with puppy mills because personally I think they are awful and incredibly inhumane, but I think journalism’s mission to be objective is very noble and fair because a lot of people may not think puppy mills are bad and I wouldn’t want to expect people to agree with me. However, I respect the mission of giving the public information because that way at least the issue of puppy mills for instance is made known and the information is out there so people can take that information and make their own decisions.

I really agree with what Pat Kessler said about how journalists shouldn’t just simply report both sides of the issue, but they should also try to find the truth in the issue and report who’s not telling the truth. I think that’s really important because even though it’s obviously fair to be balanced, people shouldn’t be misled by someone who’s outright lying or misrepresenting something. However, I think that’s actually kind of risky for the journalist because some issues may be hard to uncover the truth or to find a neutral institution that can provide numbers or statistics, and I wouldn’t want to accidentally mislead the public.

I think that in the future journalism will change because I think people are going to read and watch the news online a lot more than they do now. Just like how people watch tv shows online, I think news stations are going to start posting their entire show online (maybe they already do, but I think they just have certain clips online right now…). I also think people are going to be reading the news online a lot more than they read an actual paper. Therefore, I think journalists are going to become more well-known and famous because people all across the country can be reading journalists’ articles and columns. I also think bloggers will become more popular. I think that some bloggers can find important information that professional news outlets aren’t getting, but for the most part I don’t really like bloggers because I wouldn’t want the public to get confused and think blogs are actually real articles. Therefore, I think there should be some sort of ethical guidelines for bloggers where they should make it very clear that they are not professional journalists and they should cite their sources.

Minnesota Sapphire Sells for Millions

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1150984.html

http://www.twincities.com/searchresults/ci_5774538

The Star Tribune article, “Sapphire’s sale leaves Minnesotans in shock,? is about how the Minnesota Historical Society sold a 22.66 carat sapphire necklace that belonged to the wife of Minnesota industrialist, James J. Hill, for $3.064 million at a New York City auction.

The writer of this article had the challenge of writing a good lead. The writer chose to write a delayed lead because he started off with an anecdote that set the theme of the story. The lead said that historians can only speculate if the wife gasped when she first saw the necklace. The writer waited to say the important news of the sapphire selling for a record high at a New York City auction in the nut graph, which is in the second sentence. The delayed lead set the theme of the story because the writer moves from speculating if the wife was shocked when she received the necklace to saying how shocked the officials at the historical society were when the sapphire sold at the record high of $3.064 million.

The AP story, “Sapphire fetches big bucks for state Historical Society,? is also about the sapphire selling at a record high, and this writer also had the challenge of writing a good lead. This writer chose to write a summary news lead. This lead summarized the newsworthy information that a sapphire bought over a hundred years ago by the railroad magnate, James J. Hill, sold for $3 million for the Minnesota Historical Society. Since this was a summary lead, the writer didn’t need a nut graph so he or she just continued to tell more details about the sapphire, the auction, and its history.

In my opinion, I think the AP writer did a better job at writing an effective lead. This story is not a hard news story so the delayed lead that the Star Tribune writer chose could have been effective. However, I think his delayed lead was too obvious because it’s obvious that the historians can only speculate how the wife reacted when she got the necklace because no one really does know. Therefore, I liked the summary news lead in the AP story better because even though this is a soft news story and the lead could have been more interesting, it was at least effective in telling the newsworthy information.

10,000 Year Old Camel Bones Found

http://www.startribune.com/484/story/1150524.html

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/88637

The AP article, “Bones of prehistoric camel found in Arizona,? is about how the bones of a 10,000 year old camel were found last Wednesday in a construction site in Mesa, Arizona. This discovery is very rare, and the bones will be displayed at Arizona State University.

Since this is a light-hearted story and the description of the bones, its discovery site, and how they were discovered is very pertinent information, the writer had the challenge of using description. The lead reads like a hard news story because they stated the essential information of the 10,000 year-old bones being found in a construction site in Mesa, but the writer did not make the lead descriptive or unique. The writer said that the bones were found at the construction site of a future Wal-Mart in suburban Mesa, Arizona; but, otherwise the writer did not include a specific location. This writer was vague in simply saying that workers at the construction site unearthed the bones but did not specify what the workers were doing when they found the bones. Also, the writer did not describe the bones at all or say what types of bones were found.

The East Valley Tribune in Phoenix also covered the news of the camel bones discovery in the article, “Prehistoric camel bones found in Mesa.? This writer also had the challenge of using description to tell the reader what the bones looked like and where and how they were found. This writer had a detailed lead by saying that the nursery owner is used to digging up river rock and caliche when digging holes for citrus trees. The writer mentioned the street names of where the bones were discovered. This is a recognizable place for local readers, but even though national readers don’t know these street names it does give some reinforcement that these bones were actually discovered. This writer was also very specific and used vivid verbs in describing how the bones were discovered. He said that “a backhoe plunged into earth and dumped bones onto the ground.? He also explained that the workers were digging a trench and a hole when they unearthed the bones. This writer was also very descriptive because he listed the exact bones found such as teeth, a hoof, and a scapula among a few others.

In my opinion, I think the East Valley Tribune writer used description better in their story while describing the bones and how and where the bones were discovered. I liked that the writer used vivid verbs, detailed descriptions of how and where the bones were found, and listed the exact types of bones that were found. These descriptions made the story more enjoyable and interesting, but these are facts that provide further proof that these bones actually were discovered. I think that the AP writer was a little vague in describing the location of the discovery and how the bones were discovered. Also, the article and its lead read like a hard news story, but personally I think this story was effective being descriptive and more light-hearted.

Threats may prevent Prince Harry from going to Iraq

http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/articles/2007/04/26/report_army_may_bar_harry_from_combat/

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/article2489447.ece

The AP article, “Report: Army may bar Harry from combat,? is about how Prince Harry may not be sent to Iraq on military duty anymore as a result of getting threats of him being kidnapped or killed.

The writer of this story had the challenge of updating the information. It was reported a couple of months ago that Prince Harry would most likely be sent to Iraq. There were questions of his safety back then and Harry was quoted then as saying, “There’s no way I’m going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country.? However, now since there have been explicit threats made to his safety, the writer had the challenge of getting Harry’s new feelings on being sent to Iraq. The writer said Harry wants to be an ordinary solider, but it is not clear if he said that before or after the threats. Also, the writer said another source reported that Harry’s friends said he would be disappointed if he couldn’t go to Iraq, and the writer said another source reported that he would quit the army if he isn’t deployed.

Another article, “Doubts raised over Prince Harry’s war-zone posting deployment to Iraq,? from the Belfast Telegraph also reported on the news of the threats on Prince Harry’s safety. This writer also had the challenge of updating new information on how Harry now feels about going to Iraq since getting the threats. This writer also said that another source reported that Harry’s friends said he’d quit the army if he can’t go to Iraq. The AP writer at least said the name of the source, and this writer just said “according to one report.? However, this writer, unlike the AP writer, included that the BBC’s royal correspondent dismissed this claim and said that Harry won’t quit. Also, this writer and the AP writer both used that quote from 2005 where Harry said he doesn’t want to sit at home on his “arse? while his boys are out fighting.

In my opinion, I don’t think either of the writers did a very good job at the challenge of updating the information. Both articles used that quote from 2005 when he said he wanted to go to Iraq, but I was interested to know how he feels now since he has gotten a lot of threats. Both writers just used other sources that made claims about how Harry supposedly would be disappointed and he might quit if he isn’t deployed. I did think it was good though that the Belfast Telegraph writer got another opinion on the rumor that Harry might quit by including that the royal correspondent said that his friends denied saying he would quit.

New French President Will Bring Changes to France

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/22/europe/EU-POL-Frances-Choice.php?page=1

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Sarkozy-just-ahead-in-France-vote/2007/04/22/1177180455490.html

The AP article, “Change is on France’s presidential menu, but which kind will voters choose?? is about the French presidential elections on Sunday. There are many candidates that all have very different ideals and they all promise a great change for the country. The article examines the candidates and tells the political viewpoints and backgrounds of the candidates while focusing on the top two contenders, Nicolas Sarkozy and Segolene Royal.

Since this is a story about France written by the AP and for a wide audience, the writer had the challenge of making the story relatable and understandable for its readers. This writer overcame that challenge by focusing on the human element by interviewing average French citizens and describing their feelings on the candidates and how they are deciding who to vote for. For example, the writer concluded the article by including a quote from an average citizen saying that the French people want change, but he doesn’t know exactly how the candidates plan to change France. Also, the article began with a descriptive anecdote about two voters looking at campaign posters who are perplexed in trying to make a decision that will change France.

The Reuters article, “Sarkozy just ahead in France vote,? (I found it in The Sydney Morning Herald) also was about the upcoming presidential election in France and the changes it will bring. This writer also had the challenge of making the article relatable to a wide audience that is outside of France. This writer did not include any quotes or mention of average French voters like the AP writer did; but, this writer made the story relatable and understandable by using numbers. For example, the writer says that a third of the 44.5 million voters have not decided who they are going to vote for yet in Sunday’s election, which tells the reader that many French people are not sure about the candidates. Also, the writer says that voter registration has increased by 4.2 percent and that is the sharpest rise since 1981, which tells the reader that perhaps this election is very important to the French because it holds the potential for so much change for the country.

In my opinion, I like the AP story better because that writer included a human element. This made the story more relatable to me because I learned that the French citizens are very perplexed in this election. The anecdote lead about the two voters looking at the campaign posters and being perplexed drew me into the story more than just starting the story rattling off the names of the French candidates I’ve never heard of before like the Reuters writer did. I also liked that the AP story was very descriptive and used vivid and strong verbs like “rumbling? and “wafting.? If this story was hard news and was covering the election results, the details would have been unnecessary; however, since this story was just describing the upcoming election and the potential candidates, I thought the details were effective in setting the scene and emotions of the voters.

Pipe Bombs found on New Ulm Campus

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1134418.html

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/breakingnews/local_story_110182313.html

The Star Tribune article, “Pipe bombs found on New Ulm campus,? is about how two pipe bombs were found in a student’s car on the Martin Luther College. The student’s roommate found it and alerted police, and the bombs were deactivated without any one being harmed.

This writer had the challenge of finding a structure to write the story in. This writer chose to write the story in an hourglass structure. The lead and the next two paragraphs have the most important information about the bombs being found and deactivated without any one being harmed, and that the student may be arrested depending on the investigation. Then the writer begins to tell the story from the beginning starting with how the student’s roommate took him to a hospital for erratic behavior that morning, then found the bombs and alerted police, and then the writer told the sequence of events of how the school alerted the students and how the bombs were deactivated.

The Mankato Free Press article, “Pipe bombs found at New Ulm college,? is also about the pipe bombs being discovered and deactivated. This writer also had the challenge of finding an efficient structure for which to write the story. This writer also did tell the important facts first and then the same story of how the roommate took the student to the hospital that morning and then found the bombs. However, instead of telling the rest of the story in a chronological order like the first writer, this writer finished telling the story with less important details. Thus, this writer wrote the story in the inverted pyramid style.

In my opinion, I like the Star Tribune article better because I think the hourglass structure gave this story more detail and emotion by giving the step by step progress of how the bomb was found and then deactivated throughout the day. Although, I did like the lead much better in the Mankato Free Press because this writer was more specific by saying which college campus and also the writer said that the student was an Iraq war vet, which is a prominent and novel fact that would be important to include right away. I thought the lead in The Star Tribune story was vague by not specifying what college campus the bombs were found because as a reader I would want to know right away what college campus. Also, this writer did not include the prominent and novel fact of the student being an Iraq war vet until towards the end of the story.

Possible Theory on Pet Food Contamination

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/la-na-petfood20apr20,0,525430.story?coll=chi-bizfront-hed

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/350579,CST-NWS-pet20.article

The article, “Spiking theorized in pet deaths,? by two Los Angeles Times writers ( I found it published in the Chicago Tribune) is about how the recent pet food contaminations could have been caused by Chinese manufacturers adding the chemical melamine to make it look as though the food had more rice protein so they could charge more for an insufficient product.

Since the Chinese manufacturers are being accused of intentionally contaminating pet food, the writers especially had the challenge of being balanced and avoiding libel since this accusation could be damaging. The writers included the side of the FDA and the organization’s chief veterinarian stating that they think the food was intentionally contaminated and why they think that. The writers also included the side of the Chinese manufacturers. There was an indirect quote from the Chinese government saying that the contaminated ingredients weren’t meant for the food. The FDA said that they traced the contaminated food to a specific manufacturer and the writers gave the company’s general manager a chance to talk. Even though the manager just said they are investigating and had no other comment, the writers at least said he was contacted and “declined to answer questions.?

The AP story,?Pet food spiked for protein: theory? (I found it in the Chicago Sun-Times) also covered this news event. The writer had the same challenge of being balanced and avoiding libel by perhaps falsely saying the Chinese manufacturers deliberately contaminated the pet food, which would be damaging. This writer, unlike the LA Times writers, only included the side of the FDA. Upon first glance it looks like the writer included the Chinese manufacturers’ side by saying, “Chinese authorities have said….?. However, this statement is attributed to Stephen Sundlof – who is the chief FDA vet. So an FDA vet spoke for the Chinese authorities, and the statements of the Chinese authorities/manufacturers/ government were not included. Also, in the next sentence, the writer starts off by saying, “Still,? which seems to undermine the validity of what the Chinese authorities supposedly said. Finally, the paragraph is concluded by saying, “That raises the possibility the contamination was deliberate,? without any attribution and seems to be based on the writers’ opinion.

I think the LA Times writers did a much better job at informing readers of the alleged contamination by the Chinese manufacturers. These writers gave both sides an opportunity to speak and attributed all their statements. The AP writer, on the other hand, did not give the Chinese manufacturers or government a chance to respond, and I thought it was inappropriate that the writer let the FDA vet speak for the Chinese authorities.

Experience of Finding a Public Document

For an average citizen, I think finding an agenda packet from the Minnesota Legislature is pretty difficult. I tried to find the agenda packet for The Dog and Cat Breeders Act because I’m writing about that in my article. I started by calling the Public Information Office. That number was easy to find on the Minnesota Legislature website. However, then I got transferred or was given the numbers for calling other offices. I ended up talking to someone from the House Index and the Senate Committee. The woman from the House Index told me there was no public information on that bill, but she told me how I can go to the House website, and search by topics to find bills. She even did it for me and found all the bills listed under the Animals and Pets topic, but there was either no public information or the bill or it wasn’t relevant to my article. The man from the Senate Committee told me that there was no public information on that bill, but he was very helpful in telling me how I could go about finding public information on a bill. He walked me through the steps while I followed along on my computer. He told me to go to www.senate.mn, then Orders of Business, then the Fifth Order of Business. He said that if there was any public information it would be listed here, and if there wasn’t anything available I would then call the committee, go to the library at the Capitol and listen to the tape, or talk to the author of the bill. I actually did already ask the author of the bill when I interviewed him earlier this week, but he referred me to the senate committee I was just talking to! I searched for any other bills relating to my article by using this process and again there was no information available or nothing related to my article. Both these people were helpful in telling me all of this information and how the process works, but having to be transferred numerous times, going to the library, or tracking down the author of the bill would be way too time-consuming and complicated for the average citizen.

Since there weren’t any agenda packets on The Dog and Cat Breeders Act or anything relating to dogs or animal welfare in the Legislature, I tried to get the agenda packet for a recent public meeting in Morrison County that approved a mega-kennel. This experience was much easier. First, I went to the Morrison County government website, and then to the County Commissioners site. On that page the written minutes and video for the public meetings were listed, and I was able to download them. In order to find out how one could get the agenda packet, I called the number that was listed to call for more information and she transferred me to the county administrator. He said the agenda packet was a foot thick and would cost $150 to photocopy, but anyone can come in and make the photocopies without an appointment. He said one woman did just come in and made the photocopies. However, he offered to email me the “findings of fact? that have the legal basis for the decisions, the special conditions made for the mega-kennel, and the exhibits (items/ documents that were looked at) that were used during the meeting. He was really nice and helpful and emailed me the Findings of Fact immediately. Therefore, I think it would be really easy for an average citizen to find the public information because the minutes were readily available on the website, I only got transferred once, and he was very helpful in providing me the findings of fact and telling me all you have to do is go in to the office anytime during their hours to photocopy the documents for 25 cents a page.

Famous Polar Bear Causes Merchandise Frenzy

http://news.bostonherald.com/international/europe/view.bg?articleid=193321

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/06/europe/web-0406bear.php?page=1

The AP article, “Knut, Berlin’s famous polar bear cub, creates merchandizing frenzy in Germany,? is about how the zoo’s attendance and stock have dramatically increased because of the popularity of Knut the polar bear club, who became famous after a debate ensued over whether or not to keep him alive since he was rejected by his mother.

Since Knut’s story began a few weeks ago, this writer had the challenge of recapping the previous newsworthiness of Knut while providing the new information. Knut is famous because of the debate over whether or not to keep him alive. The writer did mention that he was rejected by his mother and hand-raised by zookeepers; however, the writer said that he “rose to fame last month thanks to television and newspaper pictures.? Otherwise, the writer did not mention anything else about the debate that made Knut famous.

The International Herald Tribune article, “Knut, the abandoned bear cub, is now a star,? also covers the event of the polar bear causing a media frenzy and the zoo’s attendance and stock to dramatically rise. This writer did give a more detailed recap of why Knut is famous in the first place. The writer said that Knut became “a national cause célèbre? when a debate ensued over whether he should be killed since his mother rejected him and he would be raised by humans. The writer also includes the background of why certain animal-rights advocates and zookeepers thought the bear should not be raised by humans, and the writer included that the bear was able to live because of German schoolchildren’s petition and the publicity.

In my opinion, I think the International Herald Tribune writer did a better job at reporting the news of the media frenzy over Knut. I think this article was effective partly because the writer included the recap of why Knut is famous in the first place. I think the recap is good for readers who are not familiar with Knut’s story, but also this writer is accurate in explaining why he is famous. The AP story, on the other hand, didn’t give a detailed recap to inform or remind readers, and I don’t think the writer is completely accurate in saying Knut is famous for television and newspaper photos because the controversy is what brought Knut to the media’s attention. However, I did like that the AP writer was very thorough in listing all the merchandise that has been created for Knut, as well as being very thorough in giving the exact dollar amounts that the zoo’s stock has increased.

Coyote goes from Downtown Chicago Quiznos to the Wild

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0704041007apr05,1,2969761.story?coll=chi-news-hed

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/328366,CST-NWS-coyote05.article

The Chicago Tribune article, “Urban coyote gets his space,? is about how the coyote that wandering into a downtown Chicago Quiznos on Tuesday was released into the wild on Wednesday.

This writer had the challenge of using an array of sources and giving complete information. This writer used many sources for this story that included the owner of the property where the coyote was released, the manager of the Quiznos the coyote wandered into, the founder and director of the Flint Creek refuge where the coyote was originally placed, and the director of Animal Care and Control. Also, the writer gave complete information on the news event including that the employees of Quiznos visited the coyote, now named Adrian, before he was released and offered him a warm prime-rib sandwich on garlic bread (the vets didn’t let the coyote eat it though) and Quiznos donated $1,000 to Animal Care and Control for taking care of the coyote, and that Adrian was the third coyote captured in Chicago in the past three weeks and that 10 to 15 coyotes are annually captured in Chicago.

The Chicago Sun Times article, “Downtown dog to country coyote,? also covered the news of Adrian the coyote being released into the wild. This writer did not use as many sources as the Tribune writer. This writer included a quote from the owner of the property where Adrian was released. The writer also included the kennel manager and the founder of the Flint Creek refuge, but the writer only attributed the minor facts of how old the coyote is and that he ate and rested at an animal shelter the night before he was released. Also, this writer did not include any additional information like the Tribune writer did because the Tribune writer included the sandwich and money they donated, as well as the statistics on coyotes in Chicago.

In my opinion, the Chicago Tribune writer did a better job at telling the story of Adrian the coyote being released. I liked this article because the writer included so many sources and quotes to give the full picture. Also, I really liked that this writer included the extra information about how Quiznos reacted because it is interesting to know that the manager was so nice about the situation and gave Adrian a sandwich and donated money. It was also interesting to know the statistics on coyotes being captured in downtown Chicago because coyotes in a city seem so unexpected. However, the Sun Times writer was also successful in communicating the main information of the release, and I think the hourglass structures used in both articles were effective because the updated information of the release was announced first and then the whole story beginning with Adrian going into the Quiznos was told chronologically. Also, I liked that both articles included photo galleries of Adrian, and the Tribune website even had a video of Adrian being released.

Story Idea No. 5: Puppy Mills

The recent intense media exposure of Retrieve a Golden of Minnesota’s (RAGOM) removal of 83 dogs from a puppy mill in Bismarck, N.D. has brought puppy mills to the attention of the Twin Cities people. Therefore, what is a puppy mill and are they legal? There are few regulations or laws on puppy mills, but The Dog and Cat Breeders Act is currently going through the Minnesota House albeit it is stalled. Therefore, what regulations do puppy mills currently have, why is the bill being introduced, and will the intense media exposure from RAGOM’s removal help move the bill forward?

1. Nikki Rydel, member and volunteer coordinator, RAGOM, (612) 865-2431
2. Darby Holladay, spokesman, United States Department of Agriculture, (301) 734-3265
(The USDA inspected the puppy mill in N.D. and is in charge of inspecting puppy mills.)
3. Paul Koering, senator, R-12 Crow Wing and Morrison, (651) 296-4875
(He is one of the senators introducing The Dog and Cat Breeders Act.)

Aftermath of Plymouth Robbery

http://www.startribune.com/467/story/1092524.html

http://www.twincities.com/searchresults/ci_5567025

The Star Tribune article, “Police identify bank robbery suspect as Oak Grove man,? is an updated article about the man who robbed a bank in Plymouth and was in a standoff with police for five fours on Friday. This updated article tells the most recent news of the man’s identity, that the autopsy results concluded that his death was a suicide, and that he had previously been in federal prison for robbing a bank in California.

This writer had the challenge of writing an effective lead. In this lead, the writer first gave a short background of the standoff and his death, which could help readers remember the event or learn about it if they haven’t heard the news yet. After the short background, the writer included the man’s identity, which is the most recent information. This lead fit the background and recent news into one short sentence.

The Pioneer Press article, “Plymouth/ Robber called family, shot himself,? also covers this news event. This writer’s lead was different because this writer made the lead more dramatic and suspenseful by describing the scene, the robber’s feelings, and the details of his suicide while holding off on revealing his name until toward the end of the lead. The writer also holds off on making it clear who the man is specifically until the next paragraph, which was a nut graph that gave the background of the robbery. However, the writer still held off on mentioning the standoff in a woman’s house until the fourth paragraph when the writer began the chronological part of the hourglass format.

In my opinion, the Star Tribune writer did a better job at writing a more effective lead. I like that the writer gave the background in the lead because not only does it help readers remember or learn about it if it was the first time they heard of this event, the writer also makes it very clear what is the news in this story. Whereas, the Pioneer Press writer did not even make it clear to the reader what this story was about in the lead, and the writer included the name of the robber but did not say who this person was until the next paragraph. Also, I didn’t like the lead of the Pioneer Press article because the writer made it too suspenseful and dramatic for a straight news story, not to mention a serious crime story. The Star Tribune writer’s lead was more effective because the storytelling was more objective and straightforward. Also, I didn’t like that the Pioneer Press writer said the robber was stressed out “to a point only he could imagine,? because this was an editorial from the writer, and the words, stressed out, were in quotes without attribution and the quotes didn’t seem necessary.

Dog Saves Owner by Performing Heimlich Maneuver

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/lifestyle/bal-to.herodogs29mar29,0,3140367.story?page=2

http://charlotte.com/120/story/65032.html

The Baltimore Sun article, “Canine heroics: a doggone mystery,? tells the story of the golden retriever, Toby, who saved his owner by performing the Heimlich maneuver on her after she choked on a piece of an apple. After she began chocking, the dog knocked her down and started jumping up and down on her chest until the apple was dislodged.

This writer had to undergo the challenge of being objective and fair while writing this article. Instead of just reporting the facts surrounding the story of how the golden retriever performed the Heimlich maneuver, this writer had the angle of discussing whether or not the dog intentionally knew what he was doing when he performed the Heimlich maneuver or if he was just reacting to her stress. However, the writer was not objective and instead had an editorializing voice sometimes. For example, after the writer listed several high-profile dog rescue stories from earlier this year, the writer asked, “What’s next, a Chihuahua conducting a coronary bypass?? Also, the writer was not fair and balanced because the writer used four different sources and used quotes from them all stating various ways that Toby did not intentionally mean to help because he did not know what was going on and that humans tend to anthropomorphize animals. The writer used one neutral source who said that the rescue was amazing and people can speculate, but people do not know what really caused the dog to save her. However, the writer used no sources that thought that the dog really knew what he was doing and intentionally saved her life by jumping up and down on her chest.

The AP story, “Owner says dog saved her with ‘Heimlich,’? also covers the news of the dog performing the Heimlich maneuver on his owner. This writer maintains objectivity and is fair because this writer chose to just state the facts about what happened. The writer includes quotes from the woman that was saved explaining how the dog saved her and stating that her doctor said she would have died if it hadn’t been for what Toby did. Unlike the Baltimore Sun writer, this writer did not include any opinions from any other sources.

Overall, I think the AP writer communicated the news better because the writer was more objective and fair (probably because it’s an AP story that was sent to newspapers all over the country). I liked that the Baltimore Sun writer went more into depth about the event and explored the concept of whether or not the dog intentionally meant to save his owner since this is an interesting debate. However, I think the writer should have also included sources who could give their statements on why they think Toby did know his owner was in danger and did know exactly what he was doing when he jumped up and down on her chest. I for one believe that the dog knew what he was doing and the writer even acknowledged that many people anthropomorphize animals, so I think the writer should have found some sort of credible source who could defend this position so that the article would be more fairly balanced. Also, I didn’t like how the writer seemed to be mocking the story with his tone like when he sarcastically joked about the next animal rescue story being a Chihuahua doing a coronary bypass.

Story Idea #4: Diversity in the Suburbs

Thanh Truc is an authentic Vietnamese food restaurant located in a strip mall in the affluent suburb of Woodbury that has a population of 88.8 percent Caucasian people and 1.1 percent Asian people. Therefore, why did the owners choose a predominately Caucasian inhabited location for Vietnamese food, and does the strip mall location help the restaurant because it is accessible or does it hurt the restaurant since it is authentic Vietnamese food located in a strip mall? The owners say they live in the city so why didn’t they build the restaurant in Minneapolis where there is a greater mix of races? Finally since this is only one of two Vietnamese food restaurants in Woodbury (the other one being a chain) and there are predominately popular chain restaurants in Woodbury, does this restaurant help bring diversity to the area and what do the people of Woodbury think of this?

1. Hai Phan, owner, Thanh Truc, (651) 436-3431
2. Vince Markell, customer and Woodbury resident, (651) 436-1122
3. Nancy Ngo, restaurant writer, Pioneer Press, (651) 228-5172
(The Pioneer Press has written a few articles on Thanh Truc. I would not interview and quote Nancy Ngo since she is another journalist, but I could use her as a journalistic source to get ideas, find potential sources, and/or verify information.)

Cute and Popular Baby Polar Bear Makes Debut

http://www.startribune.com/722/story/1076442.html

http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/articles/2007/03/24/baby_polar_bear_delights_berlin_during_public_debut/

The McClatchy News Service article, “Kill Knut? He’s way too cute,? written by Matthew Schofield covers the public debut of the baby polar bear at the Berlin Zoo. There was controversy because many animal experts thought that Knut, the baby polar bear, should have been killed because he was raised by humans instead of his species after his mother rejected him.

Since this controversy of this story has been developing over the past week, this writer had the challenge of giving background information on all the newsworthy elements of the story. While this article focused on the public debut of Knut and gave many details on the event like how he played with teddy bears and how there were oohs and ahs from people, the writer also focused on recapping the controversy of whether or not Knut should be killed. The writer included information and quotes from sources from both sides of the controversy explaining their opinions. Also, this writer included the immense popularity of Knut because people made t-shirts, websites, songs, and a blog written from his perspective to protest to keep Knut alive. Also, the writer included how a Berlin newspaper is covering the story with 10 pages and photos devoted to Knut, and how Knut has turned into an icon for the fight to stop the climate change.

The AP story, “Baby polar bear delights Berlin during public debut,? also covers the public seeing the baby polar bear for the first time. However, this writer chose only to focus on the news of the public debut of Knut by giving details of what Knut did during the debut and how the crowed reacted including quotes from excited children. The writer only gave the background information of how his mother rejected him and how “he became famous through? his video podcast and television series and also that celebrity photographer Annie Leibovitz took his picture for an environmental campaign. Therefore, the writer made it seem that his podcast and tv show is why he’s famous and not that he was first newsworthy because of the controversy of killing him.

I think that Schofield did a better job communicating the news of the baby polar bear being debuted at the zoo because not only did the writer include details of the debut, I liked that the writer included the other newsworthy elements of the controversy and the immense popularity of Knut. I think it was important that the writer used the novelty element because it’s pretty unique that a polar bear would have his own podcast, tv show, and blog, and he is now an icon for the climate change debate. Even though the debut is the timeliest news, I also like that the writer included all this background information of the controversy to recap Knut’s amazing story for everyone who may not have heard about him yet. Also, I liked the Schofield story because it included more legitimate and serious sources like the animal experts and the zoo director instead of just the two children the AP article quoted. Finally, I liked that Schofield included the link to Knut’s blog so readers could easily check it out. By the way, check the blog out. His blog postings are cute, but there’s also a video to watch Knut! http://blog.rbb-online.de/roller/knut/