« Week 2 - Picking an organization | Main | Week 4 - First Tutor Time »

Week 3 - Application & CCLC Meeting

This week Emily and I met with the volunteer coordinator for Lincoln International High School. After signing in at a security desk we met with Chris in the bottom of what used to be an old bank. It was kind of interesting as the safe is now a small library. The meeting went as expected. We we're sure whether we'd be tutoring high school students or adults, but learned quickly that we would be tutoring Lincoln's high school students.

The meeting only lasted about half an hour which left us about an hour and a half to get back to the University by 3 for our 2-hour volunteering orientation meeting. We decided to satiate our hunger at Hell's Kitchen, an excellent restaurant specializing in not-so common cuisine. By the way, it's at 10th and Nicolet so make a point to stop in the next time you're downtown.

The CCLC meeting was just as I expected. I felt the topics covered were overbroad and seemingly inapplicable to my individual volunteering experience. The two issues that stuck in my mind were poverty and race demographics. Poverty would be more applicable to students going to a housing project of some sort, but as I work with high school students, I see them in that setting only and have no idea what home life for them is like.

In my opinion the race demongraphics portion was unecessary. Everyone knows we have higher minority populations in bigger cities, more specifically the inner city. That last sentence was a summary of their 20 minute presentation about race statistics and trends between St. Paul and Minneapolis. While I understand the purpose for an orientation meeting such as this, I found it lacking in any really useful information. Perhaps the 'what if?' situations, which asked you to determine how to deal with a bad situation, was the most valuable portion.

I agree with you about the race demongraphics portion being unecessary. It was the perfect fuel for a debate in the classroom and shows how age difference in a class can have alot of different perspectives. Like, the era in which you are born in can really influence the thoughts and ideas someone may have regarding a theme or perspective on everyday life in our society.

I also agree that most of the material covered in the workshop was too broad and couldn't be easily applied to anything we might come across while volunteering. Since I’m hoping to volunteer at a hospital, I will also be interacting with people outside of their homes, so for me the poverty activities seemed a bit pointless (at least in my case).