« Dognapped! | Main | French Presidential Election »

Medical Tourism

Because of the relatively cheap cost of transportation, and the high cost of some elective surgeries in the U.S. that are not covered by insurance, it is actually cheaper to fly to India to get eye surgery than to have it here. The quality is supposedly just as good. I'd like to find out how big this phenomenon is, whether it's true, what the actual costs are, and how safe it is, whether this is beneficial or detrimental to consumers.

Minnesota Eye Consultants
Richard L. Lindstrom, M.D., founder of Minnesota Eye Consultants
provide with information about who could speak with me about this issue, long list of available doctors
Minneapolis Office
710 E. 24th Street
Suite 106
Minneapolis, MN 55404
Phone: (612) 813-3600
Toll Free: (800) 526-7632
FAX: (612) 813-3636

Apollo Hospital in India--actively advertising "medical tourism," in eye surgery
posted costs
Dr. Prathap C Reddy, Founder and Chariman of Apollo Hospitals Group
011 91 011 24646272, 011 91 011 24648409, ext. 1067, 1068

Gordon Smith, senator of Oregon, Chairman of last year's Special Committee on Aging, which performed an inquiry on medical tourism last June, Phone Washington office: 202.224.3753

WOW!
Fly to India for eye surgery?
That's NOVEL. And has an impact for eye-docs and their patients. I'm sold.

Your first source organization shows you would find a local tie-in -- great. Please list a specific person that you would talk to -- someone that it's reasonable to think would be informed; you don't have to actually talk to them and verify it.

I'm very impressed that you got a number in India. Sorry to say that you have to name someone you'd ask to talk to -- hope you can find that via the Internet.

Let me know when you add the source names and I'll award your points.

(I will assume the headline was a typo)

This is an excellent story idea, so I will ask you two questions that I'm asking everybody who submits a great story idea. Answer based on your actual wishes:

1. Are you interested in pursuing this as the topic of your final news feature?

2. Are you willing to share this idea (but not the sources) (although if they're smart, they'll read your blog) with the class for the benefit of those who have not yet chosen their final news-feature topic?

Here in the UK there has been considerable interest in 'Medical Tourism' with many people travelling to India for a variety of operations and to Eastern Europe for dentistry, (there is a serious shortage of NHS dentists). In recent years even the NHS itself has been offering to finance treatment of orthopaedic patients in French Hospitals and teams of Swedish Orthopaedic Surgeons have been working in portable buildings alongside one UK hospital - with predictable anguish from local medical practitioners!