dislocate: a community reading

dislocate literary journal is happy to announce its end-of-semester community reading taking place this Thursday, May 19, from 7-10PM at The Carleton Artist Lofts' Community Room in St. Paul. Find out who'll be there and what embarrassing things our staff will be doing after the jump.

Continue reading "dislocate: a community reading" »

Past Contributors: We'd Love to Hear from You!

Minneapolis is thawing, thank-apolis. Now that our editors can feel their faces again, we'd love to hear what our former contributors have been up to since being published in dislocate for a new online feature. Learn more after the jump.

Continue reading "Past Contributors: We'd Love to Hear from You!" »

AWP, Here We Come! (And by We, I Mean Weeeeeee!)

The new *dislocate* staff is stoked to be traveling to Washington DC in a couple of days to represent our journal at the 2011 AWP Conference. We don't have a table, but we will be roaming the halls (and the streets) passing out FREE copies of our journal! This economy won't stop us from spreading the words! So, keep your eyes out for the following cast of characters:

Aaron Apps--Poetry Editor
Mary Feng Chen--Art Director
Kristin Fitzsimmons--Fiction Editor
Chrissy Friedlander--Web Editor
Kate Johnston--Nonfiction Editor
Kerry Voigt--Editor

If you'd like to keep up with our shenanigans, follow us on Twitter @dislocatemag.

Pardon Our Dust, Folks.

disloc capture.JPGThere have been a lot of changes going on at dislocate, hence our slight "dislocation" from the web. Do know, however, that our reading period is currently closed, that we are carefully sifting through your submissions, and that you are bound to hear from us in the next month or so. In the meantime, be sure to follow us on Twitter for your daily dose of dislocate: @dislocatemag.

Thanks for your readership and patience during this time of transition! Write on.

Review: Walks with Men, by Ann Beattie

Review by Kate Petersen

I heard Ann Beattie read once, years ago, at the New York State Summer Writers Institute in Saratoga Springs. I was new to writing as craft, and to the short story, and what stories I knew had sky in them.

Continue reading "Review: Walks with Men, by Ann Beattie" »

Air Conditioning, dislocated // David LeGault

I write this while sitting underneath a small, window air conditioner, one that barely cools the space around me, not to mention the entire room. Outside, the temperature clocks in at 91 degrees with humidity somewhere between 70 and 80 percent, the heat index somewhere in the triple digits, completely obscene.

Continue reading "Air Conditioning, dislocated // David LeGault" »

Justin Cronin's The Passage: A Review, of Sorts

passage1.jpg784 pp., Ballatine, $27

Reviewed by Sara Joy Culver

1.
The important thing to understand before you read this review is that I am not a snob.

Continue reading "Justin Cronin's The Passage: A Review, of Sorts" »

Macondos // J. Lee Morsell

I'm visiting my hometown in rural northern California, and as I write this I'm sitting on an ocean bluff in fog so thick I can't see the water. I am told that this particular bluff is home to the southernmost individual Sitka spruce on the west coast, but the tree is allegedly nestled in a hidden rocky crevice and I haven't located it yet. The fog doesn't help, of course.

Continue reading "Macondos // J. Lee Morsell" »

Literary Lessons from Across the Pond

This excerpt from the diary of Eric Murphy, dated 24 June 2010, is currently on loan to dislocate.org from the British National Museum for Literature.

24 June 2010
As I find myself in the middle of an extended stay on a peculiar, far-flung Island which has no access to Taco Bell and whose barbaric entertainment systems are incompatible with my 30 Rock digital versatile discks, I need something to occupy me throughout the evening and night.

Continue reading "Literary Lessons from Across the Pond" »

Mean Girls // Liana Liu

Up until six months ago, I had never read anything by Muriel Spark. I had heard of her, of course, and thought I knew a couple of things about her. For example, I knew she was from Australia (wrong). And I knew she was a historical romance novelist (wrong, wrong). Where did I get these ideas from? I cannot remember. Probably from guessing. I am an inveterate guesser which might be why I get lost ALL THE TIME. But that is beside the point. Let us talk about Muriel Spark!

Continue reading "Mean Girls // Liana Liu" »

Mister Green: Internalizing Environmentalism

by Amir Hussain

In the digital sci-fi short Mister Green (2009), a discouraged undersecretary for the U.S. Department of Global Warming, Mason Park (Tim Kang), is biochemically transformed to take in energy directly from the sun just like a plant. The fifteen-minute film is director Greg Pak's insightful visualization of a near future where the environment as we know it has buckled under the strain of global climate change.

Continue reading "Mister Green: Internalizing Environmentalism" »

Is the government getting ready to give us all space stations? // Landrew Kentmore

Here's a story: a guy is looking for a place to sit down and hang out. There are a bunch of empty chairs all over the place, but they're not peaceful enough because there are loud people sitting in other chairs nearby.

Continue reading "Is the government getting ready to give us all space stations? // Landrew Kentmore" »

Space Baby, Is the Future Getting Closer? // J. Lee Morsell

(Space Baby hasn't learned to talk.)
1984: Oceania, Every Thought 'Tis for Thee
George Orwell's 1949 novel envisioned a distant dystopian future (or a veiled present?) in 1984 (1948?) when the only permissible pleasure is "a boot stamping on a human face," and the government promotes Newspeak, a new version of English devoid of words to express freedom and rebellion.

Continue reading "Space Baby, Is the Future Getting Closer? // J. Lee Morsell" »

Issue 7 Reading Period Open

Attention writers and readers: We are now accepting poetry, fiction, and nonfiction submissions for our Issue 7 reading period, July 15 to November 15, 2010. This year we have transitioned to an online-only submission policy: submit your work via Submishmash. This will streamline our reading process and expedite responses to our prospective contributors.

Continue reading "Issue 7 Reading Period Open" »

Review: The Invisible Bridge, by Julie Orringer

bridge_cover_235.jpg602 pp., Knopf, $26.95

by Sally Franson
A lot of fuss has been made about the length of Julie Orringer's debut novel, The Invisible Bridge. Coming in at a whopping 602 pages, this sweeping historical epic, which has earned itself references to Tolstoy and Eliot, isn't exactly the stuff that summer vacations are made of.

Continue reading "Review: The Invisible Bridge, by Julie Orringer" »