Literary Lessons from Across the Pond

This excerpt from the diary of Eric Murphy, dated 24 June 2010, is currently on loan to dislocate.org from the British National Museum for Literature.

24 June 2010
As I find myself in the middle of an extended stay on a peculiar, far-flung Island which has no access to Taco Bell and whose barbaric entertainment systems are incompatible with my 30 Rock digital versatile discks, I need something to occupy me throughout the evening and night.

Continue reading "Literary Lessons from Across the Pond" »

Mister Green: Internalizing Environmentalism

by Amir Hussain

In the digital sci-fi short Mister Green (2009), a discouraged undersecretary for the U.S. Department of Global Warming, Mason Park (Tim Kang), is biochemically transformed to take in energy directly from the sun just like a plant. The fifteen-minute film is director Greg Pak's insightful visualization of a near future where the environment as we know it has buckled under the strain of global climate change.

Continue reading "Mister Green: Internalizing Environmentalism" »

You Can Be--or Already Are--An Award-Winning Writer

by Robyn Parnell

Calling all non-award-winning writers (you know who you are)--it's time to add a trophy title to your nom de plume. It imparts that certain je ne sais quoi, literary cachet; besides, with all the opportunities out there, what's your excuse for not having one?

Continue reading "You Can Be--or Already Are--An Award-Winning Writer" »

dislocate Launch Party: What You Missed

Didn't get a chance to attend dislocate's annual shindig, celebrating the new issue release and the launch of the website whose site tracker statistics you are at this very moment improving? We made a slideshow for you so that you would make sure to clear your calendar and book plane tickets to Minneapolis for next year.

Continue reading "dislocate Launch Party: What You Missed" »

Launch Party May 6, Minneapolis

dislocate Party Celebrates New Issue, Website Launch

What: The Contaminated Issue release & dislocate.org launch: Books, art, food, drinks, DJ!

When: Thursday, May 6, 2010, 8pm-Midnight

Where: West Bank Social Center: 501 Cedar Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55454, above Nomad World Pub

Continue reading "Launch Party May 6, Minneapolis" »

The Post-MFA Life: Illusions, Delusions, and Beer

by Liana Liu

Fiction writer Laura Owen is one of the funniest ladies I know, and this is reflected in her work. But the quirkiness of her characters--a magician who cuts off his own head, a suburban mom who wears grills--never overpowers the emotional impact of her work. Laura graduated from the University of Minnesota MFA program last May; here we talk about life after school, life during school, and the importance of commas.

Continue reading "The Post-MFA Life: Illusions, Delusions, and Beer " »

Mapping the Unseen: An Interview with Adriane Colburn

by J. Lee Morsell

Colburn_ArcticSuns-cap.jpgSan-Francisco-based artist Adriane Colburn is working on a series of installations and maps that seek to organize and chart changes in the natural and urban landscape. She recently attended the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen in the wake of research trips to the Arctic and the Amazon.

Colburn seeks through her artwork to visualize the unseen, to depict frontiers of geography, politics and history--to reveal. "Apocalypse" is Greek for "revelation," or "unveiling." Upon meeting her in California this January, I mentioned that her work qualifies as apocalyptic, which led to the following conversation.

Continue reading "Mapping the Unseen: An Interview with Adriane Colburn" »

Slurping on the Shoulders of Giants

By J.C. Sirott

coffeenovel-cap.jpgTo submit to dislocate you must, of course, write. But what if you find yourself creatively blocked? This is an age-old writer's affliction and a blog post on its existence would be of little use to anyone. But what are some tactics that writers use to escape the dreaded block? Oh there are many exercises, prompts, visualization techniques, sure, but one of history's least heralded is also its most simple: coffee.

Continue reading "Slurping on the Shoulders of Giants" »

Please, Mr. Tweedy, give me something to chew on.

by Jim Novak

I share a small desk in the dank T.A. office with one of my very good friends. Both of us are in our third and final year of this lovely M.F.A. program so we are trying to assemble manuscripts, meet with students from the classes we teach, and read for classes we're taking, all in the same space that's about as big as a bucket seat in a nice conversion van. Our similarities go beyond books and writing and teaching; we are both a little messy. Some of the stuff on our desk include four dirty coffee mugs, seven AWP magazines, and a box of Kosher instant Mashed Potatoes. I'm not trying to make any enemies here, but once I found a greasy receipt for Chinese food stuck between two books. Despite all of the clutter, I like living with some else's mess and giving someone my mess back. This by no means is a weird Minnesotan passive-aggressive attempt to zing my deskmate. I truly like being in her mess because each day I find something different.

Continue reading "Please, Mr. Tweedy, give me something to chew on." »