Mister Green: Internalizing Environmentalism

by Amir Hussain

In the digital sci-fi short Mister Green (2009), a discouraged undersecretary for the U.S. Department of Global Warming, Mason Park (Tim Kang), is biochemically transformed to take in energy directly from the sun just like a plant. The fifteen-minute film is director Greg Pak's insightful visualization of a near future where the environment as we know it has buckled under the strain of global climate change.

Continue reading "Mister Green: Internalizing Environmentalism" »

Mapping the Unseen: An Interview with Adriane Colburn

by J. Lee Morsell

Colburn_ArcticSuns-cap.jpgSan-Francisco-based artist Adriane Colburn is working on a series of installations and maps that seek to organize and chart changes in the natural and urban landscape. She recently attended the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen in the wake of research trips to the Arctic and the Amazon.

Colburn seeks through her artwork to visualize the unseen, to depict frontiers of geography, politics and history--to reveal. "Apocalypse" is Greek for "revelation," or "unveiling." Upon meeting her in California this January, I mentioned that her work qualifies as apocalyptic, which led to the following conversation.

Continue reading "Mapping the Unseen: An Interview with Adriane Colburn" »

Please, Mr. Tweedy, give me something to chew on.

by Jim Novak

I share a small desk in the dank T.A. office with one of my very good friends. Both of us are in our third and final year of this lovely M.F.A. program so we are trying to assemble manuscripts, meet with students from the classes we teach, and read for classes we're taking, all in the same space that's about as big as a bucket seat in a nice conversion van. Our similarities go beyond books and writing and teaching; we are both a little messy. Some of the stuff on our desk include four dirty coffee mugs, seven AWP magazines, and a box of Kosher instant Mashed Potatoes. I'm not trying to make any enemies here, but once I found a greasy receipt for Chinese food stuck between two books. Despite all of the clutter, I like living with some else's mess and giving someone my mess back. This by no means is a weird Minnesotan passive-aggressive attempt to zing my deskmate. I truly like being in her mess because each day I find something different.

Continue reading "Please, Mr. Tweedy, give me something to chew on." »