Air Conditioning, dislocated // David LeGault

I write this while sitting underneath a small, window air conditioner, one that barely cools the space around me, not to mention the entire room. Outside, the temperature clocks in at 91 degrees with humidity somewhere between 70 and 80 percent, the heat index somewhere in the triple digits, completely obscene.

Continue reading "Air Conditioning, dislocated // David LeGault" »

Puppies, dislocated // David LeGault

Here's a picture of my new puppy. Isn't she cute? Her name is Mackinac, as in Mackinac Bridge or Mackinac Island or Mackinac City, as in Michigan, as in a transitional point between upper and lower peninsulas.

Continue reading "Puppies, dislocated // David LeGault" »

Barbecues, dislocated // David LeGault

In the spirit of Memorial Day, one of those holidays whose true meaning is entirely lost on the three-day weekend and the unofficial start of summer, my wife and I bought and assembled a grill last weekend. The grill, on sale at a hardware store, probably had the worst set of instructions I've ever encountered: it took over three hours, a second trip to the hardware store for spare parts, and several stripped screws to get it all together.

Continue reading "Barbecues, dislocated // David LeGault" »

Delivery, dislocated // David LeGault

Well, as of tomorrow I'm officially unemployed. After applying for countless writing grants, a number of summer teaching jobs, as well as a series of on-campus jobs, I've come up without a job, without many future prospects.

Continue reading "Delivery, dislocated // David LeGault" »

Home Ownership, dislocated // David LeGault

The past several weeks have been somewhat overwhelming. Between applications for summer funding (which, when they didn't pan out, turned into crappy retail/restaurant applications) and the end-of-semester chaos, I've had little downtime.

Continue reading "Home Ownership, dislocated // David LeGault" »

Bathroom Wall Graffiti, dislocated // David LeGault

I've been thinking a lot about Latrinalia, the study of graffiti etched onto bathroom walls. The term was coined in 1966 by folklorist Allen Dundes because he felt the term shithouse poetry didn't encompass the content that isn't in verse or poetic form.

Continue reading "Bathroom Wall Graffiti, dislocated // David LeGault" »

The Artist Book, dislocated // David LeGault

I've spent the better part of the past week putting together a ten-page book. It's only a book in the traditional sense: it has two covers, a basic binding, a few pages.

Continue reading "The Artist Book, dislocated // David LeGault" »

AWP, dislocated // David LeGault

So I'm still recovering from the recent AWP Conference in Denver. It was a great opportunity to hear a lot of interesting talks on writing and shmooze with famous writers. Better yet, a few of the writers appearing in the upcoming issue of dislocate stopped by to say hello.

Continue reading "AWP, dislocated // David LeGault" »

Road Trips, dislocated // David LeGault

This morning, I was woken up to the sound of a vibrating phone, a message telling me "I'm downstairs, I'll see you in a minute." This week, I'm supposed to be heading to the AWP Conference in Denver, a 15-hour drive from the Twin Cities, and my ride has just shown up a day early.

Continue reading "Road Trips, dislocated // David LeGault" »

Marathon, dislocated // David LeGault

I write this mythology after just finishing a ten-mile run around two park lakes in Minneapolis. I'm in the midst of training for a marathon--what will be my sixth--but that doesn't make it any easier: both my feet are blistered to the point of absurdity; my calves are tight as piano wire; salt from dried sweat is caked around my eyes.

Continue reading "Marathon, dislocated // David LeGault" »

Psycho, dislocated // David LeGault

It's probably the nonfiction writer in me that keeps me looking backward, finding more excitement, more value, in works that have been critically examined, pulled apart and sucked of their meaning.

Continue reading "Psycho, dislocated // David LeGault" »

Richard Castle, dislocated // David LeGault

I've always been interested in fictional books, meaning works of literature that don't actually exist.

Continue reading "Richard Castle, dislocated // David LeGault" »

Texting, dislocated // David LeGault

text messaging--image by Alton/wikimediaI have a love/hate relationship with the text message. It's an interesting technology: it can contact several people at once, can leave reminders/dates/direction, can anticipate the word I'm most likely to write.

Continue reading "Texting, dislocated // David LeGault" »