Recently in Reading Responses Category

Project 3 (Museum-sophisticated yet playful)

I will be doing an accordion fold brochure for my project, using the Museum prompt. For my project, my idea so far is to sell the idea of an art museum, and how when you look at a painting, you can actually feel like you are in the painting. I will have something different going on for each of the accordion panels. For the first one, there will be a man in a suit looking at a painting (the suit is in reference to the sophisticated aspect). There will be a different painting on each of the panels, so for the next panel/painting, the man will be climbing into the painting. The next panel will show him inside the painting. Then he will jump from panel to panel, painting to painting. This will reference the playful idea. There will be a velvet rope (going back to the poem) going across all of the panels, to tie everything together. I will be using the Fibonacci grid to place the paintings on each accordion panel, so that they don't all look like they are placed in the exact middle. I would place each painting on the top left area of the panel (the rule of thirds), but if I did that for each one it would get too repetitive, so I think it would be best to do it for the first one and for the last one place the painting on the upper right corner to tie it all together. Since my idea is all visually based (no text besides the front and back cover), I am going to use the 'K.I.S.S' approach and keep it simple. I will let the panels of the guy simply crawling into the paintings and experiencing them explain the idea of seeing how intellectually and visually stimulating art museums can be.

Analyzed poster

I found this poster on the UNESCO website. It is a runner up for the 'Languages Matter' competition. This poster says that it is based off of the Language Family Tree graphic and reflects some of the Millennium Development Goals and Education For All Goals. This piece definitely does reflect the 'family tree' aspect. It also looks like it has a retro style, which might make a reference to the Partridge Family (a family and bird reference).

Here is the link to the poster:
http://www.design21sdn.com/competitions/17/entries/4401/gallery

Anatomy 3, Designer Milton Glaser

I found it amazing how early tromp l`oil started (a.k.a. fooling the eye), dating back all the way to at least the Renaissance era when artists would paint insects over their portrait or other piece of artwork and tricking the audience into thinking it was real. In the graphic design age, it seems too easy with all of the technology to make a piece that 'fools the eye'. To me, it loses a bit of its value because of its easy access, even though there are many creative ways to play around with the idea. I definitely agree with the last statement of the article that states that design is largely a playful activity, and that when the audience falls for a design that is very intriguing and tricks the eye, it helps them pay attention to the message.

Contemporary Graphic Design of Iran

It was a little difficult for me to follow this article because there was so much information packed into it, but at the same time it was very interesting. In the article it states that Iran does not cherish a 'unified culture'- some parts are rural, whereas other parts are more city-like. This reminds me of the U.S. The U.S. is so diverse with it's inner cities, suburbs, rural areas, and wilderness that sometimes I'm sure it's difficult for graphic designers to capture a wide audience. I also agree that sometimes graphic designers have the power to make things look more important than other things, solely by designing it to look that way (like the newspaper advertisement example). To me, the most important concept to get out of this article is that communication has two parts, and that graphic design should convey these parts and bring them together as closely as possible: 1. Information/the message, and 2. The audience

The 'Charity Begins at Work' Problem

It's interesting that a lot of designers can actually do some really good work by having a limited sum of money to work with. Maybe it's because they can narrow down their choices of things to do, therefore narrowing their focus. I really like the fact that some organizations had to re-use their posters...it reflects on the idea of charities reusing things, such as clothes. "The charity appeal can only work if the message is as simple as possible." I definitely agree with this, in that charities are, in fact, simple. They don't have a lot of money to work with. You would want a poster to reflect upon this statement.

Chapter 2: Color Theory

It's interesting to note all of the color symbolism across cultures. I never realized how colors varied so much in terms of their symbolism. It's important for me to remember them, especially if I ever need to do an international piece of artwork. I agree with the information regarding Goethe and the fact that he believed that colors evoke emotions in humans, they are not merely scientific; for example, warm colors producing excitement, and darker colors producing more negative feelings.

The 'Astonish Me' Problem

I definitely agree with this reading, in that it is becoming increasingly difficult for designers to impress viewers when it comes advertising. I do not doubt that it is due to the internet, and it's ever increasing ease to look up anything and everything. As my Design Tech teacher told me, people have about a 3 second attention span when it comes to looking at most things online. I also agree, according to the reading, that one way to 'cope' with this problem is to make 2-D things look 3-D. It literally ads a whole new dimension to graphic design.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Reading Responses category.

Project Process is the previous category.

Visual Research is the next category.