« Why China? | Main | Feelings about the trip, book summary »

Why I want to go to China and a brief summary of book.

I want to go to China to experience another country and culture. I don't think I could have picked a better location to truly experience a very different culture than our own. I will admit, I am scared, excited, and nervous all at the same time. I'm scared because I don't know what to expect, excited because this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and it makes me nervous and excited because I have never traveled outside of the country. Overall, I am very thrilled to have and share this opportunity with all of you!
Ashley

The book I chose was titled, Illustrated History: China, written by Patricia Buckley Ebrey. I wish I would have had more time to get familiar with this book to give a better synopsis and opinion on this reading. However, this book begins by expressing how a westerner might feel when they visit China for the first time. It mentions that westerners are likely to find many things that intrigues, surprises, confuses, inspires, or dismays them about China. The book then goes on to discuss more aspects westerners might wonder and follows with the history of China.