« The Market | Main | A Realm of Contrasts »

book report

Hey everyone, this is Shannon using Bryn's blog. I haven't been able to get it to work so I'm starting from the beginning. For out trip I read One Billion Customers. It is about doing business in China, how to present yourself and what to do to be successful in a country of over one billion people. To do this you have to understand China's history. One of the reasons they have been able to modernize so quickly is becasue they integrate the past and the present. I thought it was interesting because the author uses companies strategies and talks about why they failed or succeeded. At the end of each chapter is a section called "The Little Red Book of Business," which summarizes key points in a truthful but witty tone. Here are some of my favorites. 1. To be truly powerful in China is to be able to aviod responsibility for your decisions. 2. China is modernizing, not westernizing. The country's goal is to modernize but retain their "essence," which they are still struggling to define. 3. Chinese negotiators are masters of making you feel you need them more than they need you. They will ask you for anything because you may be stupid enough to agree to it. Many are. 4. if you decide to sell your soul and succumb to China's coruption, get a good price and focus on charity work in your old age. 5. Senior party members in China seldom engage in direct coruption, preferring nepotism as the means to building family wealth. For the ruling elite, gathering family assets quietly is quietly accepted. 6. If you don't trust your CFO like your mother, give your mother the job. 7. Stress respect and equality with your Chinese partners and employees. Insults are never forgotten, and retribution is a certainty. Employees are looking for leaders. Choose capable strong minded mentors, not dictators or risk-averse bureaucrats, to run your business. 8. Persistence pays, patience pays, and understnad the fact that most Chinese gov't officials live in fear of being criticized for not upholding China's interests. 9. Relations beween the U.S. and China is somewhere between the Cold War and hot competition, they see each other as a future enemy. 10. The four most important - and troubling- words in a Chinese company are "Up to you, boss!"