« Tour of Tianjin | Main | Arriving in China »

So far...

The culture is so different from our own that it's almost hard to function, at least for me. I am so used to ignorant, rambling, rude, and individualistic Americans that it's hard to get used to a culture that treats bikers the same as people in cars, and houses millions of people per square mile in apartment buildings that almost touch the sky. So far we have made some friends with business school students at Nankai University, but we have taken especially to a girl named Rena, and I do not know how to spell her name. She comes with us when we go shopping, eating out, and to our lectures. She is extremely helpful, and we appreciate her willingness. We also met some people from Cameroun and Ghana in a rose garden today, they spoke French and English, so that was fun to get pictures with them. We ate at TGI Fridays for dinner, which was a cultural experience even though they serve American food because they do not have staples like Ranch Dressing. The Chinese people do not like Cheese, which is just going to kill me because cheese is my favorite food. It's all part of learning the culture, though, and I will learn to cope through my cheese cravings.