« A good start to a busy day | Main | Cho »

Suburbs

The other day we were discussing the social differences between Chinese and American culture. I talked to girl named Jennifer, who speaks perfect English. We went off on a tangent, talking about tv shows and bonded over Desperate Housewives. She had never seen a street like that before and wondered if all of us live like that in the states. I told her about a great place I live in Minnesota, called the suburbs, or suburbia. In the city we have mostly apartment buildings like they do here in Tianjin, but on the outskirts of the city, between the rural area, many of the towns somewhat resemble Wisteria Lane. Of course it’s not as pretty as it looks on tv, but we have the wide streets, big green lawns, and 1, 2, or three story houses in communities with about 50,000 to 60,000 people (in my area). Most of them have reputations, rich or poor, good or bad. But no matter what we joke with each other about which one is cooler, our own always being number one. Then we moved on and gossiped about the characters and all the drama that is happening, until the teacher came back and we had to sit down.
Shannon