« Nixon's favorite restaurant | Main | Last Night in Tianjin »

Tattoos

There has been a lot of people getting tattoos lately and I never thought I would be one of them. I first went with Jen to when she got hers done and thought that would never be me, but after meeting the three people who worked at this tattoo parlor I decided if I were to get one this would be the place. It was wierd how comfortable I was with these people when two of them spoke no English and one of them spoke very little. They were so kind and I could tell they really cared about their customers. I have visited many tattoo parlors in the US where they speak my language and I have never felt this welcomed. Maybe it is because in China it is not such a big fad to get tattoos like it is in America, so any customer they get, they really appreciate. So to make a long story short Courtney and I ended up getting tattoos, just little ones. I got a little green shamrock. When I woke up the next morning I thought...what had I done, I don't even like it! It looks bad and why would I get a tattoo. The next day I went back to the tattoo parlor and the guy who did mine was there and was determined to make me happy when I left his shop. He added to my tattoo free of charge and made sure I liked what I had just permenantly added to my body. Once again I am just amazed how comfortable I felt with these people even though they don't speak the same language as me, granted Rena is always a big help when it comes to translating. The gap is truly starting to shrink regarding differences between China and America and I continue to see that the longer I stay here.