« Day 4 | Main | Day 5 »

Beijing - Day 5 (5/23/09)

Today was the first day that not all of our group was with us on our regular class outing. We went to Wal-Mart which was quite interesting in China. The escalators there had some form of magnetism which allowed you to bring your carts up and down them and were also sloped instead of having actual stairs like back in the United States. Also Wal-Mart had multiple levels unlike in the U.S. which so far that I've seen only have a single level. Also here in China the Wal-Mart had multiple employees in a single aisle such as in the shampoo section. There were also many representatives here in China from different vendors such as Huggies, Nestle, etc advertising their products and offering samples. I had my picture taken with one of the Huggies girls, which was quite fun. Another thing I noticed about some of the products here in China is that they will package them with a free item, but unlike the United States that item can be completely unrelated to the product itself. For example I saw batteries which came with a free spoon; usually in the United States the product will have some relationship with the free item, but here it seems that it can be completely unrelated to the item in question. I can't wait until we take the high speed train to Tianjin!

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part :) I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.

Iˇ¦ve recently started a website, the info you offer on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.