« Laundry attempt...first and maybe the last | Main | Day 3 in Tianjin: Dan Korman »

Day 3=Chinese BBQ

A few of us enjoyed a delicious lunch with some of the Chinese students today. It was a very enjoyable experience for all involved. I think we were as excited to hear about them as they were us. It was intriguing to hear similarities and differences in our two cultures. For instance, we were explaining that Americans drink beer socially and they did not quite understand until Jun said “like we drink tea in China.” Yes Jun, as a matter of fact that is correct! We tried a variety of dishes from chicken heart to squid to German sausage. It was all quite good (I was too stuffed to try the cow tongue!!!). The experience was more than the food. I truly enjoyed the opportunity to get to know Jun, Tracy, and the tall, skinny gent (I didn’t catch his name). The students were very easy to communicate with-I was amazed at how good their English speaking abilities are. Tracy was the comedian among us. One of our group asked him if has eaten dog before. Not only did he tell us yes, he told us how to best prepare it! Eating dinner with them was an eye-opening experience for me. It helped me realize that we all have very much in common and the cultural differences are so minor, they hardly bear mentioning.

Great article. I was looking at constantly this blog site and I am amazed! Extremely helpful info specially the last part :) I care for such information a lot. I was looking for this certain info for a long time. Thanks a lot and best of luck, Emogene Rolen