Last Day in Tianjin & Overnight Train

These past two weeks have flown by.  I have made some amazing new friends in a very short period of time.  As a last big bash for everyone, we threw an awesome American style BBQ.  It was a hit and everybody I asked really liked the burgers.  Many of them said they were much better then McDonald's.  After we finished up, everyone got ready and then we exchanged gifts with the Chinese students.  I cannot believe at how stunned I was at all the cool gifts I was given.  Mine seemed minimal and petty compared to what I got.  While reading my notes and looking through at all the thought that went into everything, I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed at the flow of emotions I felt.  I really am going to miss Tianjin and everyone I've met.  The people here are truly one of a kind.

After getting to the train station, we waited outside because of the nice breeze.  It got very weird when people started gathering around us and kept getting closer.  Beggers would come by every so often and ask for money.  We decided it would be a good idea to just wait inside, despite how hot it might be.  We didn't have to wait that long and all I could think of was "wow" when I first laid my eyes on the grand scale of the railways.  The train we boarded was so nice and I honestly expected less.  The rooms were not as crowded and were luxurious in a way.  We even had our own TV.  This was my first overnight train (as it probably is with most of the students on this trip) and definitely an unforgettable one.  Even though I didn't get much sleep, it so worth it.

This page contains a single entry by Alex Lawhorn published on June 7, 2010 9:08 AM.

The Train Experience was the previous entry in this blog.

Day in Suzhou is the next entry in this blog.