World Expo

Before the China trip I had no idea what the World Expo even was. Everyone kept talking about how exciting it was going to be that we were going to it, so I did some research online. Once I found out what it actually was, I was quite excited myself. We left the hotel at 7:00 AM to make sure we missed all the traffic so we could get there at a decent time. We got there and a ton of people were already waiting to get in. We stood in line for a good hour because the gates didn't actually open until 9:30 AM. Once we all got in we went straight to the USA building. It was really the only building I cared to go in. The line was very, very long, but it was moving quickly. Once we got up front there was an American woman who greeted us. We got inside and she started speaking in Mandarin while a Chinese lady was speaking English. It was quite funny and all the Chinese people would laugh when the American woman would speak. They told us we would be going through four different parts in the building; three of them would be watching movies. The movies were just people talking about America and our plans for the future. Barack Obama gave a little speech as well. The last part of the building was a display of all the large American companies. Wal-Mart was displayed, Dell, and Microsoft among many others. We got out of the building and it was already extremely hot and muggy out. It was going to be a long day at the Expo where 500,000 people visit each day! Sarah and I walked around all day and I took pictures of each building we passed. I couldn't believe how amazing some of the buildings were. So much time and planning must have gone into each one of them. They were absolutely stunning and now I understood why more money was spent on the Expo than on the Olympics. Overall it was a very exciting day, although I anticipated leaving early and to head back to the hotel. When it was time to go I didn't want to leave because there was so much to do and so much to see. I'm very happy I got to see the World Expo as it doesn't happen that often and I'll probably never get the opportunity to go to one ever again.

This page contains a single entry by herma244 published on June 28, 2010 12:17 AM.

First day in Shanghai!!! was the previous entry in this blog.

Homesick is the next entry in this blog.