One Billion Customers by James McGregor

First off, I have to say the fact that this book is written by a very successful graduate of UMD is awesome. I truly enjoyed this book for several reasons. The first of which I just stated, it is written by a UMD graduate. The second reason is that it goes through a little bit of the history of China, explaining certain important events throughout China's history and the Dynasties during which they happened. It was interesting to see how events that happened so long ago could still have a major effect on doing business in China today. The first 30 or so pages are simply lists of all of the main characters and what they do/did that was so important to China. I will admit, the book was a slow start, but once it got rolling, I had a hard time putting it down. McGregor goes through different case studies to explain to the reader what to do and what not to do when attempting to bring your business to China. At the end of each chapter, he recaps the main points that he wanted to get across in the section, which was truly helpful to me because there was a lot of information in each chapter. The thing that I really liked about the book is that the reader can really tell that McGregor truly knows what he is talking about. He offers many warnings to the business man going into China, along with other humorous stories. He also explains how the higher officials in Chinese businesses and even the government obtain their positions. I found that part to be extremely interesting. It is almost as though he is trying to scare the reader out of doing any sort of business in China, but then he explains that most of the country is not operating the way that he describes. He explains that a lot of what he talks about is the more corrupt parts of China's past, so a lot of the things that he is saying does not apply to simple business transactions with the country. Although the book was published in 2005, it still is an excellent source of tips and tricks for doing business in China. I highly recommend that you all read this one. It is truly an eye-opener.