The People and Traffic of China

China Day 12 (Tianjin)

Traffic in China is much different than that of America. Either they don't have many traffic laws, or people simply don't care to oblige by such laws. Crossing traffic here kind of resembles the game Frogger. People will move up to lets say the middle of an intersection, wait for a few cars to turn, and then continue onwards if the coast is clear, even if it's still a red light. They say that patience is a virtue for the Chinese, but the traffic seems to tell a different story. I think I've heard a car honk their horn at least every five seconds I walk the streets. There also seems to be a ripple effect with that. If one person honks, the next person will do the same. This can get quite annoying, but it's probably necessary given how many people are in Tianjin. Another thing that I've noticed here in China is that there are at least as many bikes on the road as there are motor vehicles. There are even parking lots for people's bikes at many of the businesses such as the supermarkets and restaurants. The people of China are very hospitable as well. It's pretty comparable to "Minnesota Nice", really. In most parts of the United States, you wouldn't be treated with anywhere near the kindness that the Chinese have extended to us. I've meet people from around the world here as well. They have come from places such as Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Australia, Korea, UK, Norway, Ukraine, and more. I feel like China is becoming the new "melting pot" of the world. The bars, and the clubbing, here are so much more fun and I honestly feel much more comfortable around complete strangers here than I do in the United States. At Helen's, one of the bars our groups has grown fond of, I meet a few Aussie's that were telling me about a program called TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language). It's a two month course that dives you into the basic logistics of the english language and prepares you to teach it across the world. I've always wanted to travel the world so I may look more into this program. Needless to say, China has been an amazing experience and I am so glad (and so lucky) that I am here.