Meeting the students at Nankai

Today we went to the business school at Nankai University for our orientation. We got to meet the Chinese students that we would be studying with during our time at Nankai. At first I thought that the students would be very quiet and shy, I was definitely wrong. The girl that sat next to me told me that her American name was Sue. She was extremely friendly and spoke pretty good English. I was surprised at how well we were able to relate and understand each other. We talked about the many differences between Americans and Chinese. She told me that Chinese people are very obedient and that she thinks Americans aren't which is definitely true to some extent. Another major difference was that the Chinese have a much more collectivist culture and Americans seem to be more independent. I found that the most similar thing between the Chinese and Americans is that we are both very friendly.