Using Facebook in Class

I'm planning my spring 2009 WRIT 5112 Information Design class in which we will partner with First Step Initiative, a non-profit microfinance organization working with women entrepreneurs in the Democratic Republic of Congo. You can learn more about this class and First Step Initiative by selecting this course link to see our video course description. You can also take a look at the First Step Initiative website for more information.

We have created a Facebook group for First Step Initiative and members are joining all the time. I would like to incorporate this group into my WRIT 5112 course as a place where we could meet and work with people from all over the world. I'm currently designing the course and would like some more ideas/suggestions for incorporating our Facebook group into the course.

So the purpose of my post is to ask you for your ideas about using Facebook in an information design class. Please post your suggestions here and THANKS!

To 3D or not to 3D?

That was the question we started asking last week when we met with Liz Wendland and Peter Moore, two developers of Croquet, a 3D immersive environment just starting to find a place at the University of Minnesota.

We had lots of BIG questions that we started to delve into, but we also had the opportunity to see Croquet in action and brainstorm some uses for it and other 3D immersive environments in teaching and learning.

Continue reading "To 3D or not to 3D?" »