fall assignment

I have posted my solution to the fall assignment. I have also posted notes from our discussion of the implied distribution from options prices.

I will organize a review session in December for the exam on December 22. Enjoy the other modules in the meantime!

assistance with the fall assignment

I have written the shell of a MATLAB script to get you started on the fall assignment.

MLE case

Here is the code for today's MLE case.

reading for Oct. 12

Please remember to read the paper before our next session on 10/12:

Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility, Robert F. Engle and Victor K. Ng, The Journal of Finance, Vol. 48, No. 5 (Dec., 1993) (pp. 1749-1778).

new posts; TA hours

I have posted the discussion of the "sqrt-rule" for scaling invariants.

I have also updated the syllabus to indicate Nick's new office hours 7-8:30 on Mondays.

Pareto tail

Below is more general Pareto characterization of the left tail of a random variable.

img

Two of the new parameters come from the affine transformation (shift and scale), while the theta represents the parameter of the Bernoulli mixing variable.

conditioning and regression

I posted my discussion notes from out case about conditional expectation, including the observation about the connection with OLS regression.

A different format of the link below

img

second try for embedded PDF...

The image from the link below

hint for demonstration on mixtures

fall1-21

Welcome to John's class blog

I will use this forum for annoncements, and you are welcome to use it for public feedback. I encourage you to check it often. You may want to add it to your RSS feed.