Texas Senator Austin

Howdy! I am Jim Austin, your trusted senator from Texas. Most of you know me as the guy who always wears the cowboy hat, even during the Senate meetings. I am from San Jacinto, Texas, which as y'all know is where Texas gained it's independence from Mexico. I attended the community college there (San Jacinto Community College for Immigrants) where I double majored in political science and English as a second language. No, I didn't attend Harvard or any of your fancy schools, but I have made up for it with all of my experience. After college, I decided to run for office and my campaign was very successful. (Probably because of my hat) This is my fourth term in the Senate now and I am a strong leader for the Republican Party in Texas. I consider myself only a moderate conservative, but I know what I believe in and don't go back and forth on an issue. I voted for Iraq, but now see that something must be done to change that situation. On North Korea, we must take careful steps so nothing like this happens again. We also must take action now in some form because it would be an even bigger problem if North Korea possesses nuclear weapons. I will work with you on this sensitive issue and most importantly, listen to the voice of the people and represent them well.

Senator Toki Wartooth of Alaska

Hello, my name is Toki Wartooth and I am a senator from the great state of Alaska. I was born in Barrow, Alaska to my mother Anja and my father Aslaug. I attended the Lillehammer University College in Lillehammer, Norway where I received my bachelors degree in physics. I then received my masters degree in physics at Stockholm University in Stockholm, Sweden. I then completed my academic career in Lillehammer where I earned a Ph.D. in theoretical physics, writing my dissertation on M theory.

I moved back to my home state of Alaska in 1988. I posted up in Anchorage and began teaching at the University of Alaska in 1989. After a few major years of putting in some serious work I began becoming interested in politics around 1997. When a senatorial seat became open in 2000 I decided to run with no party affiliation, but i did receive major support from Boogie Down Productions and GWAR. I won the race with 100% of the vote with a 100% margin of error. I won reelection just this past week with again 100% of the vote, and this time with only 99% margin of error!!!

Since my election to the senate I have put in some work on reforming education and the sciences, but for the most part, I have just been layin in the cut and lookin way loc'd out. Recently, my work as a senator was interrupted by the news that North Korea had successfully tested a nuclear weapon. I got some peeps in NK so this came as a dramatic shock to all of us. I am committed to full democratic, peaceful, and honest negotiations with North Korea because no one wants to see a nuclear holocaust, well maybe your boy Dick Cheney.

Minranda Donahue, Constituent

My name is Miranda Donahue. I'm from Washinton D.C. I was born and raised in upstate New York. I graduated from New York University with a major in International Studies. I work in a Think Tank for the U.S. government and greatly enjoy my job even though it is so time consuming. I'm 25 and single, mostly because of my job. I hope to one day be married and have kids but for now my new foundland, Sophie, is my family.

Japanese Ambassador Hattori Hanzo

Hello, I'm your Japanese Ambassador Hattori Honzo. I used to live in Okinawa, but now I work through relations in Tokyo. As a result of this whole North Korea Missle and Nuclear testing, our people have started to lose our stance of pacifism. It was bad enough in July with the missle testing headed our way, but with the nuclear testing in October, NK has chosen to strain our courteous relations to another. Not only are we very open to strikes from missles and nuclear weapons, the massive army could trample right into our borders on any given day, if they so chose. We have retaliated by baning all NK imports from entering our waters. As a further initiative, we may also begin to develop our own nuclear weapons, strictly as a defensive tactic. Though this could be useful, we really don't want to further develop our weapons program. I feel it would be best if we cooperated with Chinese for support. With Chinese support, we could rely on their military faction and not have to develop our own nuclear program. We truly do not want to develop for state gain like NK has shown. Perhaps we need to have new relations to discuss a possible new KEDO II program, but unless Kim Jun-Il is taken out, any preventative measures and agreements betwen us and NK will prove futile. Kim Jun-Il is a poopy and and we should make him wear a diaper out in the streets in his own country and watch the public executions and make him do slave labor. Anyway, konichi wa and adios.

Diane Galatowitsch: The proud Chief Administrator of European Union

Greetings from the European Union,

I understand that my role as the Chief Administrator for the E.U. may be unclear to many readers. Throughout the years I have emerged to be the prime spokesperson for the E.U. Although I am committed to the E.U., I have grown up as a world citizen, living and being educated in a variety of nations. When I was younger I lived abroad with my parents, travelling from continent to continent. After graduating from high school in South Africa, I moved to America to earn a quality education at Harvard University. Although the experience of world living was beneficial, the constant moving taught me to appreciate a place called home. To me, home was where I was born, home was Poland. This sense of home has driven me to make all of Europe my home and accessible to others at ease. I am proud to speak on the behalf of the European Union. It is an honor to represent my home and my home away from home: Europe. If anyone has any questions for me, feel free to post a response to my bio, or e-mail me at diane.galatowitsch@gmail.com.

Goodnight, and always remember: We are united in diversity,

Diane Galatowtsch

UN Chief Administrator Jared Siegel

My fellow citizens of the world,

Greetings from New York City! My name is Jared Siegel and I am the newly-elected/self-elected/all powerful Chief Administrator of the United Nations. You may be asking, "What is the Chief Administrator?" To be frank, my position was created after much consideration regarding the actual impact of UN decisions. The nations in power decided a higher, authoritarian head would be the proper solution to motivate debate and results. Though Secretary-General Kofi Annan gets all of the glory and TV time, his puppet strings lead to my office. He also brings me coffee when I am thirsty, and grilled cheese sandwiches when I am hungry...only in four triangular, bite-sized pieces.

I was born in the Soviet Union and spent my childhood along the River Volga on the outskirts of Stalingrad (now Volgagrad). My English is perfect because I am awesome like that, and because I moved to the United States at a very young age to escape Communist oppression. I studied culinary arts at Finlandia University and soon rose to Assistant Manager at White Castle of Kenosha. I felt my wages were inadequate, so I started a crusade against the upper and upper-middle classes, one without violence, and became a renowned model of peaceful revolution, and became very wealthy by becoming an advertising icon for the likes of Air Jordan, Windex, and the George Foreman Grill. I received the UN request for employment/duty/international service while cutting the grass at my tropical estate (how ironic) in Romania, and since then have devoted my life to worldwide service.

As Chief Administrator of the United Nations, I hope to uphold the original intentions of the organization (international law, security, economic development, yadda yadda yadda), as well as rule all 192 member states with an iron fist...at least when the time is right. However, it is my hope to keep all nations in check with global standards, and prevention of unecessary violence ranks high on my list of stuff to speak about. I like podiums. The end.

Happy times!

Kim Jong-Il

I am Kim Jong-Il, leader of the Democratic Republic of North Korea. I graduated from Kim Il-sung University in 1964. For years I modeled my political career after my father. After Kim Il-sung, my father, passed away, I stepped in to continue his philosophy of Juche, a practice of self-reliance that has shaped out great nation. Under my leadership this nation has risen to become the sole power in Southeast Asia. It has become neccessary under my rule to pursue a nuclear power to better oppose the oppresive regimes of the West and even the East. We Koreans are a sturdy people, a people that will hold out against the tyranny of the West and their ambitions for world domination. We will not faulter in our goal; it is the United States that must understand our destiny is to become a world power--a world power with nuclear arms and the largest, finest and most well trained army in the world. These acts will not be infringed.

http://www.myspace.com/nucleardomination

Senator Jon Martin of Virginia

My name is Jon Martin and I’m currently the senior Senator from The Commonwealth of Virginia and the first African American Senator from the south since Reconstruction. I graduated with a bachelors degree in political science and later got my law degree at Harvard Law. I practiced law in the state of Virginia for over ten years, until I ran for the Senate and unseated the six term Republican senator in a major upset. Running as a conservative Democratic I’m in my third term and in 2002 I was elected Senate majority leader. I’m pro-choice, pro-death penalty, anti-immigration and oppose gay marriage. In both the Bosnian and Iraq war I’ve voted for use of force. However, the Korean conflict in my opinion must be settle at the bargaining table not the battlefield. I look forward to working with the President and Secretaries of State and Defense in finding a solution that will have the best outcome for the country and the world.

United States Secretary of State, Mark Dille

My name is Mark Dille and I am the current United States Secretary of State. I graduated from the University of Minnesota as a weapons engineer where after I served in the United States Marine Corps with the reconaissance unit. Subsequently to an honorable discharge, I studied law and got my degree from Stanford University while working at ATK, a private defense contracting firm. I ran for senate [republican] and served two terms after five years as team manager at ATK. After my second term, I was appointed as Secretary of State by President Jack Daniels. My job right now is to analyze current foreign affairs as well as our current military potentials along side with the rising instability and hostility of North Korea to decide if a preemptive first strike followed by invasion is necessary.

Embassy Representative Bell (China)

Good Day,
I'm the Embassy Representative for China, Mr. Dustin Jack Bell. I'm here to relate China's happenings and personal opinions on the North Korean nuclear program. I attended Yail as an undergraduate and got a degree in journalism and attended Havard for my graduate degree in communications. Shortly after I marrried and went on to have 3 children, two boys and one girl. I worked for the state of California until being offered a postion in Foreign Affairs at the White House. I reached my current position in 2001 after several paper pushing positions through out various divisions of Foreign Affairs. My family currently lives in San Diego. I do my best to see them as much as possible. I enjoy sailing, fine wines, and tennis.

PASCUAL DOLORES MEJIA, CONSTITUENT

My name is Pascual and I am an entrepreneur. I own the textile company, Rubén, LLC, in San Rafael, California. I started the company after I graduated from the School of Business from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee with a Bachelor’s degree in International Business and Finance. I opened a textile manufacturing company in South Korea a couple of years ago. My original intention was to open the business in China but I was not given the permission from the state government so I had to settle with South Korea. My business is successful, generating large profits. I now I live in San Francisco. I am 35-years old, married to Luisa San Gaspar de Lomas, a CEO, and a father of two. My daughter is Gisela, 8 years old, and my son is Gabel, who is 6 years old. I was born in Uruguay and came to the United States when I was 15 years old. Next year, I hope to open other manufacturing companies in China, if given permission this time, and in India.

Candy Crawford, Constituent

Hi y'all! My name is Candy Crawford. I am 42 years old but my friends say I don't look a day over 32. I live in Plano, Texa$, a large suburb of Dallas. I am married to a wonderful man and my high school sweetheart, Dennis, who's the Chairman and CEO of his own million dollar start-up. Together we have three kids, Dennis Jr, Amber and Jamie Lynn. For the past four years I have served on the local PTA, where I run the annual bake sale. I guess you could say my life revolves around my kids -- taking them from soccer practice to band lessons to tutoring sessions. Sure, they're only 10, 7 and 5 years old, but the nice man at the tutoring center said it would be best for them, and I want them to have every advantage they can have. Plus, if I can spend thousands of dollars a year on botox, I can spend the same on my children's future -- it's really the least I could do. As if I didn't already have enough to do, as a born-again Christian, I attend church twice a week. When I'm not with my kids, at school or at church, which is not that often at all, I try to get today's news with a fair and balanced look courtesy of the fine folks at Fox News.

North Korea Debate -- the roles and players

Should the US get involved in with North Korea ?

ROLES:

representative #1 -- Nick
representative #2 -- Alex
representative #3 -- Jon

media -- Elliot

Embassy representative for Japan-- Brandon
United Nation's Chief Administrator-- Jared
European Union Chief Administrator -- Diane
Secretary of State for U.S. Administration -- Mark
Embassy representative for China -- Dustin
Kim Jon Ill -- Joseph
U.S. Voter #1 (representing a specific group of the US population) -- Katherine
U.S. Voter #2 (representing another group of the US population) -- Mike
U.S. Voter #3 (representing another group of the US population) Vanessa

FOR WEDNESDAY -- Bring in an article, perhaps from your role's viewpoint, about this issue.
FOR FRIDAY -- Post a short biography on your role. (Remember to post under specific category: "Debate #2 --The Players)

*****
Katherine, Mike, and Vanessa, you will have to think of a specific subgroup of the US population that you will represent. This will give you more power as constituents. For example, do you represent a group of middle-aged pacifists, construction companies, Korean-Americans? Identifying a subgroup identity, will also help when it comes to writing up your short bios.

Olivia Borgess-Nunez--Freelance Journalist

My career as a journalist has brought me around the world reporting on the exchange of ideas between various groups large and small. Not wanting to be chained down to the editorial demands of one publication, I work mostly as a freelance writer for a variety of outlets. Some of my recent work has been published in The New York Times, London Globe, and most recently The Pioneer Press.

The issues that catch my eye often involve the interaction of smaller groups forging an identity when in confrontation with larger groups. Fashioning myself after the original muckrakers of the early twentieth century, I often position myself as the voice of the underdog.

For more information about me and my work, check out my webpage and blog at myspace.
http://www.myspace.com/125296103

The Players

Who has the power? Who doesn't? Who has power in ways unseen?

As we prepare to begin the debates, write a short biography describing who you are and how you are involved in the debate. Feel free to add links to myspace.com, facebook.com, etc. Consider this public information since it will be viewed by those who will be writing memos to you.

Feel free to click on my bio as a sample for some ideas.
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/doer0026/engc1015/the_media/

***REMEMBER to select the correct debate category when posting your entries!!! This will help to keep all this organized.