A Letter From the Editor

An Editorial from Editor-in-Chief Jack Ragner

An Open Letter to Sen. Haukos,

In two letters sent to The Global Press headquarters, you have reaffirmed your support of the "Increased Alcohol Rights for Americans Act." While the letters gave minimal explanation on your position other then that the Act will increase sales of Alcohol which can be taxed and controlled through taxation. The question that these letters raise is who will buy more alcohol other then teenagers? In reality, no one will increase consumption except teenagers. If teen binge drinking is a national problem, and the Act will increase alcohol consumption which will logically only be picked up by teenagers, then how will this Act help Americans? Isn't it simply going remove the stigma attached to irresponsible teen drinking? This stigma is the last defense against all of our children going out to drink themselves to death. We already are going to have future problems with Social Security and Medicare, how will killing the newest source of tax revenue and the only people paying Social Security help our nation? It seems that this new bill seems short sighted, and ignorant.

While we're on the topic of ignorance, your ignorance of today's media is astonishing. It seems to me that anyone seeking to retain office would memorize at least a few key members of today's media. While I have great respect for The Global Press's founder and his son who succeeded him, I am not a member of the Saratom family. At the end of the letters that I have sent you, I signed my name. And even as you substituted my name for our great founder, you didn't even have the courtesy to spell his name right. As the protégé of Mr. Saratom's son, it offends me greatly to see my mentors name misspelled not once, but twice. It seems wise to me that a senator such as yourself review both your history, and the names of current media personnel.

These letters raise an important question, one that no citizen should have to ask about a senator while s/he is in office. Your advocacy of the deaths of our nations future business persons, soldiers, leaders, doctors, scientists, and other important citizens, and inability to remember simple history nor the name of today's editor-in-chief of a paper read by more then 750 million people worldwide worries me greatly. So greatly in fact, that I must ask the questions on the mind of the nation. Do you really know what's best for the nation? Do you really represent your constituents? If you truly do represent your constituents' wishes then God help us all.

The Global Press
Editor-in-Chief Jack Ragner

The views expressed on this page are solely the views of their owner, and do not necessarily represent those of The Global Press.

Senator VonGratskin Retires

Minneapolis, MN-11:30AM
By Richard Stone

Late Sunday morning Senator Laurence VonGratskin (R-MN) announced among family and friends that he will retire from the Senate Monday morning. Citing difficulties in his fight with Coronary Artery Disease, Sen. VonGratskin announced that he wished to spend the rest of his final days with his wife, children, and grandchildren.

Minnesotan Governor Tim Pawlenty (R-MN) will have two weeks, starting Monday, to fill Sen. VonGratskin's seat. After the death of President Starner's daughter, Laura, the Increased Alcohol Rights for Americans Act has exploded into the nation spotlight. Bitterly dividing the Senate, Capital Hill Analysts say that the bill may very well pass or fail by one vote. With the bill up for debate Tuesday and a final vote coming sometime next week, whoever fills Sen. VonGratskin's seat may decide the bill's outcome.

The Governor’s office stated that it will begin the search process to fill Sen. VonGratskin's seat Monday, and may have a list ready by the end of the week. The list is expected to include the names of several prominent Minnesotans, and the Governor has decided to extend the search to ordinary citizens.

The Global Press
Editor-in-Chief Jack Ragner
"Fair Coverage of an Unfair World"

Senators Use Death of President's Daughter to Further Political Stances

Washington D.C.-8:54PM
By Terri O'Connell, D.C. Correspondent

After a day that included both the death of President Starner's daughter, and the movement of the "Increased Alcohol Rights for Americas Act" from committee to a spot on the calendar, Senator Rothgard (D-IL) made the following announcement.

"My heart goes out to President Samuel Starner, and his family. I would like to make a statement about my bill in the Senate. While this incident is horribly tragic, I'm afraid that there will be an irrational backlash against the progress we've made to guarantee the same rights to everyone of the age of majority. This, however, might have been prevented by working to curb the notion that binge drinking is required of today's youth. Hopefully the pending legislation will fulfill this goal; and though nothing will bring this great woman back, hopefully future tragedies can be prevented. I ask for calm from American people as the nation grieves. Thank you."

This statement followed by a statement by senator Roger Glasman (R-AZ). The most outspoken critic of Sen. Rothgard's proposed "Increased Alcohol Rights for Americas Act" that may see a vote within the month.

"My prayers are with the President and his family. This tragedy speaks to the very core of the problem. It’s a simple fact that these young people make worse choices about consuming alcohol then older member's of society. I hope that this tragedy wakes the nation and opens the people's eyes so that we can see that those under 21 are still too young to make good decisions about the use of alcohol."

As the legislation progresses through the Senate, and has already passed the House, the nation waits for the up coming Senate vote on the measure. Though the President gave his support to the bill as recently as yesterday morning, the White House has refused to issue a statement yet as to whether or not he will continue to do so. While little is clear tonight, one question is quickly being answered inside the Beltway: Is anything sacred anymore?

The Global Press
Editor-in-Chief Jack Ragner
"Fair Coverage of an Unfair World"

Hot of the Wire-President's Daughter Killed by Drunk Driver

Washington D.C-4:52PM
By Terri O’Connell, D.C. Correspondent

While being escorted to the White House, Laura Starner's car was struck in the side by another vehicle after the driver had run a red light. Laura was rushed to Georgetown University Hospital where she was pronounced Dead on Arrival. The driver of the other vehicle suffered only a broken leg. The driver has been identified as 18 year-old John Tallow. Tallow's blood alcohol level registered at .12, well above the legal limits for those 21 and older. The White House released a statement saying, "Everyone on staff here grieves with president Starner tonight. The President, his wife Jennifer, and his son Jake will be all of our prayers."

This will undoubtedly impact the Senate measure to allow 18 year olds to legally drink, and it is unknown whether or not the president will continue his support for the bill in the coming weeks. Committee members have already approved the bill for debate on the Senate, after the measure passed the House early last month.

The Global Press
Editor-in-Chief Jack Ragner
"Fair Coverage of an Unfair World"

BREAKING NEWS.....

UN TO HOST CONFERENCE ON EAST ASIA NEXT WEEK.

Next week will mark the first time in 50 years that more than 25 world leaders will be present at UN headquarters to discuss the opportunities for advancement in East Asia. Among those in attendance include, Chinese Ambassador Bell, Japenese Ambassador Hanzon, EU Administrator Galatowitsch, UN Administrator Siegel, Secretary of State Dille, and believe it or not, Kim Jon-Il himself. What exactly these individuals plan to discuss is still unknown, however the presence of Jon-Il suggests nuclear negotiations. Then again, souces say that Secretary of State Dille, who takes after his uncle former Secretary of State Donald Rumsfield, is not one known for negotiation. Let's hope these individuals use their time wisely, as the senate is soon to vote on how the US will engage with North Korea.

Stay tuned for more details...

Olivia Borgess-Nunez--Freelance Journalist

My career as a journalist has brought me around the world reporting on the exchange of ideas between various groups large and small. Not wanting to be chained down to the editorial demands of one publication, I work mostly as a freelance writer for a variety of outlets. Some of my recent work has been published in The New York Times, London Globe, and most recently The Pioneer Press.

The issues that catch my eye often involve the interaction of smaller groups forging an identity when in confrontation with larger groups. Fashioning myself after the original muckrakers of the early twentieth century, I often position myself as the voice of the underdog.

For more information about me and my work, check out my webpage and blog at myspace.
http://www.myspace.com/125296103