Oliver Film Festival 2007

For Oliver's second birthday party, I put together a series of three short videos, each with its own focus. The party overall was a blast. Mamie baked and decorated a beautiful Thomas the tank engine cake, while Auntie Jen put together a delicious spread of breakfast goodies. Thanks to all of their help, I was able to focus on getting the mini films ready for showtime.

Selection #1: "The Great Pumpkin Hunt 2007"

This film was pulled together from a bunch of footage I took when we went out looking for pumpkins in our neighborhood.

pumpkin humt.png

Selection #2: "Papie, Pizza & Poop"

This shorty features some of Oliver's first words caught on tape. His real first word, not on tape, was "light." He started saying it when he was 13 months old. I remember being so excited for him that I wanted to bring him to some elaborated store full of lights so that he could just keep pointing above saying "light" "light" "light". While that never happened, I still enjoy hearing his new words. I hope this video below captures that joy.

words words.png

Selection #3: "Oliver's Adventures with Mindi Poppins"

This feature is in honor of Oliver's nanny Mindi, who for a year and a half took care of Oliver. She added so much to his life and mine. I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to get to know her in this way. She just recently got a new job and will no longer be Oliver's nanny, but will remain part of our family.

mindi poppins.png

Birthday Greetings for Auntie Jen

hbauntiejen.png

november 2007

putting out fires with "bumpa"

October 28th, 2007

1oliver looking up.JPG

Once Oliver figured out how the fire extinguisher worked, he had so much fun playing with the it. He just kept spraying and spraying. I think my dad equally enjoyed himself. He was always identifying a new target for Oliver to spray. "Oliver look at that woman's hair (a girl with a red wig). It's on fire, spray it." Luckily Oliver's aim isn't so good.

2littlehouses.JPG

The highlight of the night for me was hearing Oliver say "Look Bumpa, Look." It was the first time I'd heard him call my dad, grandpa, or as Oliver prefers, "Bumpa."

4pam.JPG5dad.JPG |

In search of "punkins"

pumpkin stoop.png
October 2007

Excited about fall and its round bursts of orange sitting on every doorstep, Oliver and I roamed the neighborhood in search of "punkins." Click here to see a slide-show of our great pumpkin adventure.

I look forward to doing this again in years to come. We made it a game in which Oliver had to find the pumpkins and then introduce them to our domestic pumpkin, "Mr. Pumpkin" (the Tim Burton'esk looking pumpkin figurine). Walking around the neighborhood in search of pumpkins was a fun occasion to slow down and notice all the changing colors in our neighborhood.

oliver and papi

Picture 1 16-21-34.png
july 2007

Olivers first words and papi's big smile make me watch this video over and over.

new playmates

Oliver just started daycare last month. While the adjustment period has been difficult, Oliver is starting to enjoy his new playmates. I have no pictures from daycare, but the short parent notes below, written by his teachers, present an imagery of their own.

9.13.2007
"Oliver was so helpful today!!! He held the dustpan while I swept, then he helped wipe off the batles with other friends. In the foyer he drove some vehicles on the road...also liked the magnet blocks!! We played with stickers today. The time period right after nap seems to be toughest."

9.24.2007
"Oliver was in a fabulous mood today. He continues to love the trains. We got a few more trains and a train carpet over the weekend, and Oliver spent a lot of time with them. Outside, we heard lots of sirens. Oliver walked around to tell us "Whee-ooh! Whee-ooh!" After lunch, he was in a silly mood he did lots of pillow wrestling and giggling."

9.27.2007
"Oliver played with puzzles and listened to stories before nap. He was in a great mood again today--sometimes I think he is very affected by the mood of his peers. A friend was crying and Oliver started crying--very age appropriate though. He's been telling us that mom drives a school and dad drives a fire truck!"

10.2.2007
"Oliver was in a great mood again today. During breakfast he squatted on his char and "danced" to some music. He made a long line with the waffle block and even let Elle Join him. when he was done with the line, he practiced jumping over it. In the foyer, he named colors on the pop-up toys. He wore an apron, walked around with a camera to his face saying "cheese!"

10.3.2007
"Oliver painted with leaf stamps! Outside he rode a tricycle and a red motorcycle! He sat next to Birka at lunch--they leaned their faces close to each other and would laugh... did this over and over again! Used the kitchen area and played with small vehicles."

california pics

Picture 1.png
june 2007