Farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization

Webster on farmers.JPG

Alma and I took a trip to Washington DC last month-- thanks to my birth Mom Leona. It was wonderful, relaxing, and inspiring. I find the quote above from the US House of Representative inspiring-- exactly why I want my kids to farm. Exactly what I want my husband to be doing while I'm writing the great American Agro-Eco Thriller in my 3rd story office overlooking the prairie. Teehee hee.

The picture below is my favorite sculpture in all of WDC-- it sits in front of the Supreme Court. I've kept a framed photo I took of this sculpture close by me for the past 10 year. A confident woman riding a seething horse/serpent while brushing back her hair. In this picture I can see the relaxation in my face-- it was so wonderful to be completely there.

WDC supreme court- alma.JPG

I'm hoping to get to DC with my kids sometime in the next couple years. What a great place to go! You both look happy and relaxed to be there!

The sign reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from John Adams, about education:

"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy.

My sons ought to study agriculture, commerce, mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, and navigation, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain."

Arts from agriculture. :)

Tiff--

You are amazing. What an incredible quote. I know a guy, Jerry Carrier, in SW Minnesota who says the next economic wave with be the arts economy. First agriculture, industrial, information and next arts. What a world that could be!