Slow Learning

snow moon.jpg
Photo credit Dan Bush

I couldn't see what I see right now from our house in St. Paul. The nearly full moon is setting about 40 degrees above the horizon. I've noticed that the trajectory of the moon changes-- where it rises and falls on the horizon. In September the full moon set at the end of the driveway as I put my kids on the bus. This morning's haunting moon setting into our dark NW grove with flimsy subzero clouds racing in front of it. In November the hunters moon rose to the NE over our bonfire.

There is a pattern here that I wasn't privy to before living on the wide open prairie. Now I see the point where the moon rises burning orange over the horizon and see it set yellow over the sloughs and fields in the west. There is a cycle to the moon-- but don't tell me. It is my mystery to discover.

Now I know I could Google it and know in an instant the lunar cycle. But instead I'm going to learn it the slow way-- as if I have all the time in the world. I will learn by being attentive to the moon and the land every day. To discern the pattern of its coming and going.

It will take me months and years to learn where and when the moon rises-- is it the same year in and year out? A slow and patient learning. The lesson is in the way I learn, as much as the what I learn.

I hope you are watching the lunar eclipse tonight. It is 8:16 and we are keeping a close eye on the change. Syd is getting a thrill from it, but I don't quite know if she grasps the concept. I also don't know how long I will let her stay up to watch it. Oh well, tomorrow's Thursday. She can sleep in another day!

If you haven't noticed by now, I am sure you will. The sun will do the same thing for you, as it rises and sets in the western sky.....more northernly in the winter, more southernly in the summer. I could really notice this when we lived in Waseca with the patio/deck windows on the west side of our home, miss those beautiful sunsets from our home back there. Here?, too much blocking my view.
My day was made today as I carried my garbage out for pick up with -14 degrees. A Cardinal singing his spring song.. what a wonderful sound!

What a wonderful concept.. a slow and patient learning! I realize that is how I love to learn about many things, too ...especially concerning nature! And believe me, the discoveries I make at age 75 are more exciting than many I made earlier in life! Love to all, from your auntie.