Four Seasons-- an update

002.JPG

I was stopped on mainstreet Ortonville the other day and someone asked me "what exactly did you end up doing with those eggs of yours?"

It has been one year since we moved here.
One years since we put in the order for those chickens.
I thought that I should revist some past posts and give some updates

~I've found a market for our eggs (Chicken Confidential) selling them to colleagues and friends at some of the meetings I attend in the Cities for $2.50/doz. My artist neighbor, Liz, is also a regular customer and it is nice to have a reason to visit with her on a regular basis.

~Artist Mark Mustful moved to Big Stone County despite the 15 inches of snow the day of his visit last April. It occurs to me that this lovely pottery has an integral connection to local foods as we will need stunning and inspiring butter crocks, bread bowls, grain keepers, and pitchers. James Kunstler says in his book "A World Made by Hand" that as our world became simpler we could no longer fail to incorporate beauty into the fabric of our everyday lives.

~The flash flood through our farm permanently destroyed about 30 acres of soybeans. We moved the bees to higher ground and they seem to be doing well. I opened the hives last week to check on them. The bottom box held dark amber honey, the upper box was pure, clear honey-like thick water. I stuck my hive tool into the honey comb, lifted my veil and tasted the wonderful sweetness of our farm's and the prairie's pollen and flowers.

~ We spent a month at the Ortonville Farmers market (Saturday mornings 8:30 to noon in front of the Columbian Hotel). Since this was our first year we are learning as we go. We've run out of vegetables except for tomatoes and our squash are not quite ripe. We'll spend a few more Saturdays there this year-- maybe selling coffee along with our veggies.

Here's a close up of less than 10 minutes of harvest time. That translates into 10 hours of processing to sauces and canning. This is exactly how I want to spend my Labor Day.

004.JPG

looks good. I should have taken pics of my stuff my watermelon is ready and is good. My tomatoes i am sick of, my ruttabagas are ready but no one likes them here but kayla and me.peppers are good as long as a pic them before they get to red or my lovley chickens peck them I gave them a cayan pepper on day and that took care of them for a day pecking red things. squash and more squash. should have mom take some to church and sell them out of the trunk of her car. Some one suggested the food shelf for the squash and cuccumbers. Next year will have stand at end of driveway and sell my goods.

I've spent the last hour reading your blog--some of which I had not read before. Love it!!! Makes me doubly thankful for the years we had on the farm. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and sometimes we are blinded to it. The pictures of thebeautiful sunsets, sunrise, clouds, toads and most of all our precious grandchildren filled my heart with thankfulness!