Looking for an Echo

kids christmas program.jpg
photo credit- St. Paul Lutheran, Michigan

'Cause we were looking for an echo an answer to our sound. A place to be in harmony a place we almost found ooooh....' (lyrics by Ol' 55)

Last night was the elementary school holiday program. An original score and music by our very own music teacher Tammy Ragan. Do you realize what a gift she has and that she gives to these kids and our community? What's more the band teacher (James Pope) is a miracle worker. The 5th graders played Jingle Bells. Keep in mind that they've only had instruments in their hands for 10 weeks (at best).

We need the brightness of children and music in these short, cold days.

Because the news is not good. And it's not just bad "news" -- it is bad reality. Hard times are here for many and soon to be many more. I'll refer you to Sharon Astyk for a heartfelt and eloquent article on the seriousness of the times.

Musically, I've found the perfect echo. It is the best sound chamber I've ever entered in my life. The U of M St. Paul campus gym women's shower room. I know-- because I've been singing there. I've been singing this lilting, dark December songs that reflect the news of our times.

Let us pause in life's pleasures and count its many tears,
While we all sup sorrow with the poor;
There's a song that will linger forever in our ears;
Oh Hard times come again no more.

Tis the song, the sigh of the weary,
Hard Times, hard times, come again no more
Many days you have lingered around my cabin door;
Oh hard times come again no more.

While we seek mirth and beauty and music light and gay,
There are frail forms fainting at the door;
Though their voices are silent, their pleading looks will say
Oh hard times come again no more.

pretty heavy stuff-(this Gerald guy)! I've been looking up some of the stuff about him and it's got some real people listening to him, it appears. I can't help compare this thing about the whole country being in denial and the account of the people in the time of Noah

Evan-- I've been thinking there are a lot of biblical comparisons too. Like I think it is time to pay heed to Joseph from the Old Testament.

Joseph had the foresight to store up grain for the people. Perhaps it is time for us to start thinking of our wheat and grains as food for our people instead of commodities. What if we thought to "put by" enough grain for the people in our townships or counties (plus enough for those who would come to stay in hard times)?

Got grain bins?

Seriously-- is that a crazy idea?

first not so sad. i was in the play.