An Unheard of Silence

farm pix 048.jpg

This morning I stopped and listened to a silence in the world that I have never heard before. It was about 10-15 degrees, windless, a light fog hung all around the edges of the world.

The silence was startling in its completeness. No birds, cars, planes, people, machines, or wind. It was complete, total, and utter silence. There was not a single sound except my own heartbeat.

The only sign of life this morning was death.

I found a dead mole in the middle of the road. His whiskers still full of the ice crystals he made with his last breathes. He was curled in a comfortable ball- his fur lovely and rich in the early morning sun. What was he doing out there?

Mike came in the other night astounded that it was so quiet he had heard the 6 pm whistle blow in Clinton- 10+ miles away. Imagine standing in Highland Park, St. Paul and being able to hear a noise made in Edina.

Imagine being so surprised by a quiet world, having lived in it for 40 years. After a bit I hollered “I am here!? My voice echoed back- but I’m not sure off of what on this prairie

The Big Two-Hearted River...

"The river made no sound. It was too fast and smooth."

Ernest Hemingway captures silence in a similar way. I am glad you get to hear the silence. I tried to the last time I went ice fishing late at night, on foot, but the coyotes kept breaking the peace (plus there were sled dogs and I believe wolves hollering as well). You ought to ask Mike about Paul Barfknecht, who faithfully blew that Clinton fire whistle for decades. To a Clinton kid that meant "get home."

Kayla and i heard the same silence in the mountains one morning. Sorta scary! We talk about if we had to choose deaf of blind? we both chose deaf. We would always want to see the beauty in the world. Hope you took the mole off the road. poor little fellar