Grasp the Nettle

frosted nettle.jpg
Grasp the Nettle= means to face up to or take on a problem that has been ignored or deferred

At first light on Sunday morning I'm sitting in a patch of frosty nettles watching Jens running across the backyard to find me. He's in his footy pajamas with bright blue puddle-jumper boots and wearing a huge red sweatshirt that hangs a foot beyond his hands and down to his knees. He has just turned five and is up early to ride the bike he got for his birthday the night before. In the chill of the morning he rides and I run up and down the driveway.

That is the image of my life I want imprinted in my mind forever...

The reason I was sitting in the nettles on Sunday morning is that Audrey (Moonstone Farms) introduced me (and Alma) to a new world of local foods on Saturday. I joined a group of folks to take her class "Grasp the Nettle" on eating native foods that grow all around us. This was another of those eye and world-opening experiences. We walked her farm and grove picking and eating all kinds of spring greens.

Then we prepared those greens into one of the finest meals I've ever had...
Nettle pasta with basil pesto (out of this world delicious!)
Steamed, buttered nettles with wine vinegar
Spezzati- spring onions, dandelion greens, Virginia Waterleaf and eggs
Ham and dandelion greens
Dandelion flower fritters
Burdock root sauted and mixed with wild rice and hazelnuts
Apple leather and dried elderberries

All that food grows around our farmstead without having to plant, weed, or water it. And it's free for the taking.

So we had nettles and eggs for breakfast and I even harvested enough to freeze some for next winter. Here's Jens eating the nettles- the thumb is pointed up, but his face says something different.

grasping the nettle.JPG

Forgot to mention that I still have that book that Carolyn and I found a few years ago..."Abundantly Wild"-"Collecting and Cooking Wild Edibles in the Upper Midwest" by Teresa Marrone. I'll bring it with me the next time I come out there. I should go down to the stream and see what's growing down there..think it's garlic mustard...did they mention that?..probably isn't edible.
Can't wait to see the boys learning to ride bike. Have a good week! Love, mama

jens pic made me chuckle!

Well, well, Now the rotten nettle that makes you swell up and itchs is good to eat. I will never starve, for we have at least enough to supple the county of Dodge. So sista come on over and pick all you want. Jens and Lake be careful when Dad helps you riding the bike.Ask counsin Trixie what happened to her. (She is still sporting a scare on her knee.)Complements of your Dad.

Good grief! My child won't eat oatmeal much less nettles. You have brave children Kathy!

Now and then I'll stumble across a post like this and I'll recall that there really are still interesting pages on the web. ^_^. Thanks.

Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a great start, but it is currently hampered by the inability to store locally on your iPod, and has a dismal 64kbps bit rate. If this changes, then it will somewhat negate this advantage for the Zune, but the 10 songs per month will still be a big plus in Zune Pass' favor.

Thanks for your visiting this www.watchau.com online store.

Just a suggestion try to replace the ham by cured sapanish ham and you will see how delicious is the combination with hazelnuts

Being a new blogger, I would like to tell you that you have given me much knowledge about it. Thanks for everything.

It definitely seems so. Great stuff by the way!

The clicking sound is often caused by a electro magnet trying to close a set of points that actually activates the starter (starter solenoid). Now this part can be replaced by itself. However the price that I find for this part is 109 dollars (napa), but a rebuild starter can be bought for 76 dollars (napa).

I felt the following quote from the study summed things up rather nicely: “The increasing prevalence of chronic conditions and an aging population is driving a more holistic approach that contemplates the whole person and not one specific disease state or acute episode…”

It is important to note - ADHD is a typical disorder in children and is frequently identified in nearly 5% of kids in the United States. While medication have shown a lot of promise in helping treat the signs of ADHD, more and much more mother and father are turning to diet as a way to minimize signs, handle the dysfunction and hopefully, avoid medication altogether.

I am fairly generally on the lookout for good blogs locate right here. This wonderful write-up will get me thinking. check back for new data

I reckon I bit off over I might chew.

Thanks for the post. I've been on your blog for way longer than expected already, lol. Good stuff.