The Birds

flock of swallows.jpg
Photo credit: anonymous

A flock/swarm of Rough Swallows has descended upon the farm and prairie to the south. In the mornings on the way to the prairie preserve they are thick, flying low over the soybeans, playing "chicken" with me and happy. They seem playful as they dip close to my head and to each other. Like a game for them- who can get closest to the human.

Our "new" chickens are so cool- a grab bag of about 20 different heritage breed chickens. All colors, shapes, feather types. They're getting big enough to start cock-a-doodle-do at sun up-- 6:08 am. These chickens haven't graduated to the coop in the barn-- so they are still milling around the house. It's nice to hear them clucking and quacking outside the windows.

Thank you. Just reading about life out of the city makes my breathing slow down and I feel much more peaceful! Ahhhhh....

Oh yes... peaceful until you see the number of tomatoes on the vine waiting to be picked, processed and canned...

Will someone please explain WHY we planted and tended 135 tomato plants?

Dillusions of grandeur??? I have them sometimes, too!

Oh Yes,

The delusion of taste tests among the 35 varieties of heirloom tomatoes. The delusion of "varietal trials" so that I can tell which varieties of tomatoes grow best in our soils/climate. The delusion of selling lovely tomatoes at the farmers market. The delusion of dozens of canned jars of italian sauces.

The delusions...

Now you're making me hungry! I applaud your delusions! I did a test one year on muskmelons ... planted 5 or 6 varieties. I did find the one that I thought was the sweetest, most flavorful, yummiest ... but, guess what! I have now forgotten what it was! But you will be keeping better records than I did. Hope your flu is past!

Birdwatching: What a fun, easy and rewarding activity to share with your family and friends! It requires little in the way of advance preparation, and can be done so simply and spontaneously – right in the comfort of your own backyard. We are fortunate to have so many different birds here in North America. With a little patience and a few observational pointers, you will be able to identify a number of them right away.

I remember as a small boy on my Grandmothers ranch in Montana, we would ride our bicycles up and down the access road and the Swallows would dart down upon us like little dive bombers. At the time we would make a game out of it and ride our bikes head long into the swarm just to see if we could get them to swoop. It was great fun. However we did encounter being bombarded with bird poop. The fun was well worth it though.