Yesh Mime: There is water

Picture 242.jpg
New hand pump on the farm

We had to deal with an abandoned well on the farm-- our choices were to fill it with cement or put it back into use. So we decided to put it into use by installing a hand pump. It's by the barn on the cement slab where a windmill stood 100 years ago. Jury is out on whether this was a good decision - financially. It just seemed worth a little more to make the well functional than to pay to have it filled with cement...

I drove home from my job in St. Paul last night. It was a nice drive- the closer to home, the more lovely the landscape. I listened to loud eclectitc music- sunroof open. As I was about to turn off the last paved road onto the gravel road to our farm, I noticed a black lump in the road. I pulled over and helped get a large old turtle over to the wetland on the south side of the road (which cuts the wetland in half). As I turned down our dirt road there were deer- regular white tail and a mile later I swear I saw a mule deer. A skunk ambled across the road. Early in the week we saw a fox.

There were also geese flying to the south in V formations. But I try not to look and I plug my ears "lalalalalala" to block out the honking. I am NOT ready for another winter. It is simply too early for the geese to fly south. I hope that is not an omen for early winter.

It's funny how I just have to turn off the black top to take in all this wildlife. How the turtle marks my turn in the road and the landscape comes alive for me after nearly 200 miles of driving. Nice to be home.

winter...thats the one thing that chuck throws at me whenever I mention moving to Minnesota...I will say it is a COLD winter!

Perhaps this winter will be a little shorter and less severe than the last one! But, Farmers' Almanac seems to be saying otherwise. Ah well...we are Minnesotans and will ENDURE! (Maybe a week in Arizona will help!)

200 miles of driving from work! I don't envy you that.

The well might turn out to be a good investment should your power fail.

What a lovely image, Kathy. We're enjoying the urban wildlife in Colorado Springs - our regulars are lots of deer all around us on a daily basis, foxes trotting down the street in broad daylight, coyotes howling from the open space across the street, and bears - lots of bears this year - mamas with cubs, and a big daddy crossed our street and disappeared into our next-door neighbor's yard this month.

Hands down, Apple's app store wins by a mile. It's a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I'm not sure I'd want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.