Farmers Market 2009

farmers market 2009 3.jpg
Our stand at the Ortonville Farmers' Market

We shared some of our bounty at the farmers market again this year-- eggs, hand ground flour from Big Stone County, garlic, lots of veggys.

I was not a reliable vendor, but a happy and enthusiastic one when I was there. It's just that after working in St. Paul and then having to harvest, prep, and spend Saturday at the stand got to be a bit much. I'm glad my fellow farmers market folks were more consistant than me.

In reality- the economic don't really work out for us. It's not just that we don't earn much selling at the market, it's the opportunity cost. What else could we be doing on the farm to make it a productive enterprise? Is selling vegetables really our best way to have a successful local foods and farm venture?

Like Pooh Bear- I'm tapping my finger on my cheek going "think... think... think..."

What I treasure about those Saturday morning markets is the time with Alma, the faces of the community, the friends I made with folks in the stands around me. So we will see what 2010 brings.

Your veggies sure look nice! I have enjoyed the ones your mom brought back with her and shared with me! It does seem it would be a lot of work getting ready for the Farmers' Market, so don't blame you for wondering if you will continue with it. Hope your think, think, thinking will come up with something! Maybe something educational??? What's on the agenda for Thanksgiving?? Love from Auntie. PS...thanks for the name of that gorgeous purple tomato!!

looks good! especially that cute little boy in the pic.

Mike & Kathy; Have you ever had anything to do with a place called "International Ag Labs"? (Fairmont, Mn.) Apparently they do a lot of recomendations for organic growers?(and just biological soil farming?) shoot an opinion back if you have one. thanks- Evan

Evan,

I checked out International Ag Labs and signed up for their newsletter. Looks interesting-- can't say that I have an opinion yet.

But their emphasis on making soil healthy seems the be the fundamental thing we need. We've caused more extinctions in soil microbes that we will ever know. Anhyrous ammonia, pesticides, monoculture-- they've all decimated what once was a living soil.

Thanks for the tip Evan.

Kathy

your veggies do look tasty!

My bro told me about this site just today. Great blog you've got!