Big Stone Riches and Resources

Melissa and her book.jpg
Author and veterinarian Melissa Nelson with her book "Small Scale Farming"

There is a breadth and depth of talent and goodness out here on the prairie. And coming upon those folks is one of the riches of life. Meet Dr. Melissa Nelson, veterinarian, author and farmer. She lives just 10 miles from our farm and is an interesting and resourceful neighbor to have around. Melissa is the author of the The Complete Guide to Small Scale Farming: Everything You Need to Know About Raising Beef and Dairy Cattle, Rabbits, Ducks, and Other Small Animals

She also has a couple other books in the works- one on Financially Successful Small Farms and a work of "fiction" about the experiences of a vet in an industrial USDA slaughterhouse. I got a sneak peek at the novel- looks like something for which Michael Pollen should write "in advance praise." It's so great to have met Melissa, found a cool vet for our new little herd, and gained one more member in that thing we call "community."

I have been a reader for a long while, but this is my first time as a commenter. I just wanted to let you know that this has been / is my favorite update of yours! Keep up the great work and I’ll keep on coming back.