The Underside of Local Foods

May 2010 misc 032.JPG
The last of last years harvest...

The farm is alive with all things fully leafed out -- the blooms have come and gone from the fruit trees. So what is a local meal in May in Minnesota? Well, I'm making a stew of dried edible beans and the very last of the carrots and onions from the pantry.

Those carrots are not the botique image of local foods that people think about. But to eat seasonally, some stuff comes up from the pantry in May- before the new crop is ready to harvest and last year's produce is barely recognizable.

One of my elders said to me that when I talked of "local foods" all she could envision was the flacid, black carrots that the family dug out of the sand box storage under the floor boards (Minnesota circa 1950). Those carrots, like mine, bear little resemblance to the lovely fresh carrots we pulled from the ground. Eating seasonally and storing food needs to be part of the local food scene.

But I make it look worse than it is. My herbs are up and I have fresh thyme (which will go into the stew), cilantro, parsely, and oregano. We've had our first rhubarb and asparagus. The stored food in the pantry also includes canned candy apples, hot pepper relish, and italian sauces. We still have lots of frozen beets, sweet corn, chicken and one small package of lamb. For dried foods we have wheat, beans (in the stew), dried raspberries and strawberries (an experiment with the dehyrdrator), and dried sweet corn that I grind for corn bread- delicious.

Out with the old and in with the new... next month.

Kathy:

We loved the chickens that we got from you last fall. If you will be selling again, I'd love 10 or 12 for my freezer. Would that be a possibility?

Sarah

you still inspire me...I have a small patio garden, because my normal garden area just does not get enough sun. I have cilantro, chives, mint, lettuce, snap peas, broccoli, cucumbers and I'm attempting a coupld stalks of corn...hopefully this year it will grow

We had some OLD beets that looked like that hiding in the way back of the fridge the other day. Note to self: Those green produce bags only work for so long. Pierre the bunny enjoyed the last of Fall 09's bounty. Can't wait for the CSA to start! -Melanie
BTW I have chicken & cow envy!

BTW I have chicken & cow envy!

Sarah,

Absolutely you can get another dozen chickens. I'll put you on the list.

Melanie- beets last an amazing long time-- but not forever. This is the scary stored vegetable time of year.

Don't forget those spring delicacies such as dandelion and other local wild foods available this time of year!
We love the way you are sharing your family and new farm experiences.
We'd like to stop by for a few days during our annual summer road trip vacation, are you setup for Agritourism? Any tent sites, RV hookups available?
Any fishing opportunities in local lakes?
Rick

Thanks for your visiting this www.watchau.com online store.

Thanks for your visiting this www.hello-free.com/freebies online store.