« The Stillness of Motherhood | Main | Deconstruction- building sweat equity »

Appetite Fatigue

graceville grocery store.jpg
A View inside the Graceville, MN Grocery Store

It's important to me that my kids can comfortably eat a really wide variety of foods. You never know in life when you will be called upon to eat something that you are unfamiliar with for a long period of time. Without a wide repertoire of food familiar to your palate, you simply may not be able to force yourself to eat. That is called appetite fatigue.

Part of preparing my kids for an uncertain future is to make sure they are exposed to many and varied foods! For example, I'm prepping the fam (and myself) to start eating rabbit, because it would be pushing the "meat" envelope for our family. Plus, it is considered one of the "sustainable" meats of the futures.

But I realized I may be taking the appetite fatigue thing too far, as evidenced by this morning's children sermon. Today's Gospel lesson was the familiar:

"So I say to you, Ask, and it will be given you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Is there anyone among you who, if your child asks for a fish, will give a snake instead of a fish? Or if the child asks for an egg, will give a scorpion?

The Minister called the kids up to the front for the children's sermon and held out a plate with a toy snake coiled up on it. She asked the kids "if you came down for breakfast and asked for eggs and your mommy gave you a plate with a snake on it- what would you do?" Jens replied for all to hear "My mom would say you have to eat it or you'll get appetite fatigue!"

One of the things about eating local foods is that our menu is based on what is available, when it is available. After living this way for a couple of years, it surprises me that some people don't change their meals based on what is fresh and local. For example- eggs. First, there are some people who only want to eat "industrial" eggs. I had a woman at the farmers market tell me she cannot eat farm fresh eggs because they go "straight from the pooper to the pie." Imagine if that woman was stuck in a farm for some period of time and the most abundant food was farm fresh eggs. With that level of aversion, she could starve before she could eat them. Seriously. But some folks simply don't think about meal planning with what is before them- here's a dozen eggs. Hey I could make egg salad sandwiches, a quiche, devilled eggs, etc... No, they work it the other way. I'm hungry for custard, better find some eggs.

It's going to take some "reverse engineering" to get many of us to change what we eat from what we want to what can we make with what we have.

Some may ask why we should even consider appetite fatigue with all the variety and abundance of our current global food system. I mean- I just bought some Labneh (Middle Eastern sheep's milk cheese) from an Asian market in Fargo, North Dakota no less. I can think of many reasons for concern- and that is why I have a category for these blog entries called "Inner Apocolypt."

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cgi-bin/mt-tb.cgi/121627

Kathy, how coincidental that you wrote about that passage - Rick was the reader in church yesterday so I heard that passage a few times over the weekend as he practiced it.
It does make sense to expose kids to many types of food, when we go out to eat, both kids will ask if they can order a salad if the entree they are having does not include one. They are very used to eating fresh greens on a regular basis, and many kids their ages refuse to touch veggies except for corn, peas, carrots, the basics.
Would love to see you guys soon, not sure when it will work. We are going to SD August 12-19, but I believe you are gone then.
Let's re-connect soon!

A timely and thought provoking post, Kathy. Chuck and I have been going for creative ways to eat up all the zukes and greens I planted this season. He's come up with many variations on what he calls "beanie greenie" And since Milan won't allow us to have chickens, I have thought of rabbit as a possible alternative. I do think I'll pass on the snake meat for now, though. I'm sure the resident garter snakes will be relieved.

Jens comment had me laughing! What a smart boy! LOL
I kinda stay strictly with beef , chicken and salmon - I really don't vary too much with the meat, I tried once to cook lamb and chuck was not really happy about it. Which is funny because my mom actually grew up eating rabbit, and racoon...yes people do eat 'coon. When you are poor and grow up with nothing, and live in rural mississippi - you get what you get and you don't throw a fit. And I have to say, my mom loved those years growing up. Didn't know any difference. But I am thankful she moved to the big city, and didn't feed us that! LOL

hey...it skipped my comment that said "Jens comment made me laugh! what a smart boy!"

Hey -Good post about "different foods".To some folks out ther "different" is simply foods raised different than they have been used to. I think I can say that eggs or chicken raised on the open range is truly "different foods".We've been buying chickens, beef, pork from anyone who can do it that way, and I'll tell you I'm at a point that I don't care that much about the price anymore, it's that much better! I can recall eating almost every form of wild game when I was a child. Mom was not all that wild about fixing "wild" game but she did it. (Who could resist a great white hunter coming home with the days kill) Can't say I really liked any of it all that much! Did like pheasant pretty good tho.
Had a meal tonight of fresh garden- potatoes, green &yellow beans, home made bread & YES Lobster from Equador. (our Anniversary)topped it of with Ice Cream (french Silk)from EDY's. Are we diverse!! Best to all ES

Ooh, not the bunnies! Oh, ok, I guess it would be alright. Yes, I also "laughed out loud", did the congregation ask you what that was all about? (Notice the time, just a little prednisone insomnia)
Love, Mama

What a great story! I just read it to my daughter (23), who said, " That's the kind of mom I want to be." She just arranged all the details for the slaughtering of our 2 steers, and had the option of keeping the heart, tail, liver, etc. or not. She kept them because she doesn't want them to go to waste and wants to try making oxtail soup.

That was great story to be shared.:) I also want to shared about fatigue. I hope you find it useful. Chronic fatigue syndrome is a real and serious illness. It causes severe problems not only for the sufferers, but also for the families and friends, and for the health care services too. To “qualify” as a sufferer of CFS, you must display the symptoms for 6 month in the United States, but for only 4 months in the United Kingdom. Mangosteen is a tropical fruit which grows on Mangosteen trees in south Asia. The fruit is high in antioxidants and is rated as one of the super foods. Recent studies have reported that Mangosteen has returned successful results when used to treat CFS. In addition to antioxidants, the Mangosteen fruit is rich in xanthones. These have been linked with combating fatigue, tiredness and lethargy which is very significant in terms of helping to treat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Kind Regards,
Drew

I am totally guilty of not practicing what I preach. Tonight I made up fresh broccoli from the garden. It was full of green worms. I picked them off, then soaked to dislodge more worms. Then I steamed the broccoli. There were still worms in the bottom of the steamer. When we started eating- Jens found more worms in his. When I found one in mine- I couldn't eat another bite. Mike and all the kids ate theirs.

Wonderful to read!

It is important to note - ADHD is a typical disorder in children and is frequently identified in nearly 5% of kids in the United States. While medication have shown a lot of promise in helping treat the signs of ADHD, more and much more mother and father are turning to diet as a way to minimize signs, handle the dysfunction and hopefully, avoid medication altogether.

I have gardened for years and still working on building a sustainable lifestyle. It's a work in progress but I've found that raising rabbits is easier and more reliable than raising chickens for meat (for eggs I raise ducks). I have put together a free e-mail mini course on breeding and raising meat rabbits. It is backed by published research and is up-to-date as of October 2010... though the research continues. Check it out at www.naturalrabbitfood.com and feel free to e-mail me comments or questions on rabbit nutrition.