Local Food- Lutheran style

potluck plate 2  trinity 1-2011.jpg
Trinity Lutheran Potluck plate- January 2011

Lutheran's get a bad rap for putting on bland, unhealthy, white food potlucks. So I'm going to take a minute to sing the praises of the foods I enjoyed at church yesterday. And, speaking of singing praises, our choir practiced and sang the Listen to Your Children Praying... The quintessential ELCA message: Send us Love, Grace. We rocked, if I say so myself. We have a world class music director- Wayne and pianist Bonnie. Wow! these people are talented to just saddle up to the piano and bring forth such great music.

Back to the food... take a look at that plate. Four kinds of legumes (black eyed peas, kidney, lima, and butter beans); three veggies from the cruciferous family- brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage; local squash prepared with walnuts and cranberries (I bragged this one up enough that the leftovers were sent home with me! score); farm fresh, free range deviled eggs; apple crisp;carrots and more that simply wouldn't fit on my plate.

I live in a county with no fast food restaurants. You can't go to the grocery store in Clinton and buy a deli dish to bring to the potluck. Every single thing on that table (except the M&M's) was made from whole ingredients in a home kitchen. Made by women who know how to cook. Made by people with food traditions that still draw upon farm and garden and whole ingredients.

potluck trinity 1=2011 Jens in line.jpg
Yes- that's my kid in the front of the line. An advantage of sitting in the first pew... first to be let out into the potluck line.

When Michael Pollen, noted author of the Omnivores Dilemma, spoke to a crowd of 2,500 in Seattle this month he probably wasn't thinking of rural Lutherans. But the food culture that he says is missing in America, is still around in some places. Not perfect, mind you. You can get a corn dog and fries at the gas station on the corner of mainstreet and Hwy 75. So we haven't been entirely passed over.

But maybe this little church, and others like it, have a head start in Pollen's "Omnivores Solution:" Quote..

We need to seek the source of the wisdom about our food through place-based culture, aphorisms, myths, and rules handed down from parent to child. We no longer have a food culture defined by the best use of local resources, artistically shaped over time. We no longer have a "mom" that understands and prepares good food.

Making a sustainable change in the way we eat and diversifying our diet will support a diversified agriculture. Farmers markets do not sell "edible food-like substances," there you will find whole, minimally processed, fresh foods.

It is through farmers markets we discover that food is not a product, food is a relationship. And the relationship is not just with the farmer or the producer of our food, but also a relationship with our community. The farmers market has become the new public square.

And one of the best things to bring to the table is gratitude. Which is why I remind myself and my kids at every meal that "for what we are about to receive, let us be truly grateful."

Good ole' bank napkins.Looks yummy. I told Jason at 8 a.m. that sunday moring that I was going to drive to Clinton to attend the potluck, he told me I better drive fast our allthe food will be gone (its a 5 hr. drive) I replied with "they will serve food till 1 I'm good". I didn't go. Sista, thanks for the pic, that's just what I was thinking would be on the table. Lake, way to get in the front of the line, a man after my own heart at a potluck.

Looked for a chicken drumstick, but spotted a meatball, didn't I? Remember in Silver Bay, anytime the guys were involved in planning a dinner, they wanted to designate who should bring what, the women always insisted that pot luck's always worked out OK. And they did, except for once when EVERYBODY, well, almost everyone, brought baked beans! Stay warm, love Mom

Hello, I have been reading through your blog for a few days and simply wanted to say that your writing style is excellent. Good luck.

Oh yes "mom"...reminds me of a time we had a potluck where everyone of 8 people except one brought dessert. Most were OK with that!! So nice talking to you, Kathy!!! Love, Carolyn

That plate and that line up look familiar. As a Luther Leaguer at Trinity about 1970 I had to help serve tables at one of those dinners. I carried some sort of macaroni casserole and one of the Steen boys asked me "Are those snails?" and I said "If you want them to be snails, they can be" and both Paul and Jim filled their plates with yummy snails. Great stuff.

This is nothing compared to Haggis! A wonderful Scottish dish! Those brave enough to find out can try Wikipedia to see what is contains!

Thank you, I've been looking for facts about this subject for ages and yours is the best I have discovered so far.

Eu sunt urmatoarele blog-ul dvs. în mod regulat si am mare de informatii. Îmi place foarte mult sfaturi pe care le-au dat. Multumesc mult pentru partajarea. Va fi referindu-o multime de prieteni despre acest lucru.

Great point of view you got, Thanks for sharing I will be back for more reading in ther future

Today I encountered several shingle symptoms on my back. I know, it can be very painful and I get pain. Can someone drop me some tip how to treat them?