Final Response

i thought this class was done very well. The independent/ structured learning techqnique is one in which many people can learn by. I really enjoyed learning things on my own and discussing them without the anxiety felt of having to cram for an exam or test. taking tests and exams i feel do hurt the learning process. it brings out the anxiety in all of us and we don't retain the information needed. Discussions are key and getting the class involved is very important. The class excerses were in tune with the discussions and the concepts. Aimee don't change your teaching strategy I really enjoyed the structure and i know a lot of others did also. It was a calmly structured open environment where we all felt wanted and comfortable and that opened up our listening skills. WEll thanks for everything..keep in touch. if you every need any landscape work down or if you are looking at buying property up in the breezy point area we have a couple lots and are always looking for more. i'll give you some contact info incase you need NLD's assistance. take care have a great summer and rest of the year. happy holidays

Jason Dressel 612-812-2647
Scott nelson 218-831-7289
nldservices@yahoo.com

Posted by at at 2:04 PM

The Breeze

Well as we all know technology can be absolutely rediculous sometimes, it can be your best friend until you really are counting on it then bam boom done C YA leaves your side. I think breeze is an excellent concept, but Breeze along with other virtual communication techniques, I pods, internet, is taking our communication skills and people skills away, sure its easy to act like a tough guy and go through with what you say over the phone, yeah but try that in person tough guy. communication is very important in all aspects of life, one on one communication that is so yes this technology can be useful however we can't ever depend fully on bill gates and his zillion dollar enterprize. we are only human

Posted by at at 2:00 PM

In a rut

Everyone has times where they think there is no way out of any situation. I seem to have been in a lot of these lately, with the lawnservice and financial problems, school problems, depression problems, it just seems that the list is never ending. In my case lately, concerning the depression and GAD i always thought that i was the only one feeling this way. What helped me was to talk be open and communicate to people. use your friends and family, swallow hard and get out of bed and force yourself to read and stay busy. I also found that if i take a half hour a day to just sit back and develope your own form of meditation. This really helps to clear the mind and detach from the stressors of everyday life. I personally put some jack johnson on or some beach music and close my eyes and think of the good warm things in my life for roughly a half hour. i'm not totally out of the clear yet but I think by setting goals and sticking with ideas it helps to control some feelings and helps get out of rut like situations.

Posted by at at 1:52 PM

Tipping point favorites

Now this is a very interesting book. Some of the ideas hit close to home and my business. For example about two years ago we started to use large bolders as retaining walls ( 3'-5' height) instead of using the smaller basket ball size bolders. over that year and the following we noticed that the price of these large bolders were increasing and a lot of the competition was starting to use these large bolders for retaining walls. Now we would like to think that we started this trend. but clearly we didn't or did we. Our first job was on pelican lake, in a very high traffic channel. the owner said that he had a lot of people stop by and ask who did the rocks and a lot of compliments. so maybe word of mouth starting with our work got aroud town and tipped this fasination with larger boulders. I liked how the tipping point would look at all the different possiblilities of how an item might have tipped. Was it a natural phenomonen or was it tipped by one particular person who was willing to be the first. The actual turning point or tipping point is a very interesting subject, such as were did it all begin. but i think there might be more to it than just one specific incident. I think just a combination of different incidents may in general cause one thing to tip.

Posted by at at 2:58 PM

Creative Strategies

Have my company for the past 8 or nine years now, we have seen a lot of ups and quite a few down times. The line of work seems very monotonous especially the book work section of it.. Also working in partnerships are very difficult just ask any wise adult what they think about partnerships and they'll just laugh and say they never work...well guess what they can work. however it is very difficult, and the biggest thing is for muy communicion between partners and a common respect for change. We all lose motivation over time..it is just a natural thing. The boys and i have learned a couple of skills that we use to stay motivated. You may hear advice on how to stay motivated or give advice but the thing to remember is motivation is individualized and you have to find the key ingredients that work for you. In our case we set different challenges among ourselves...ie we will take turns with new clients and have a competition as to who can actually get a client and pursue with his or her goals..this is done in a months period and due to us all being college students the winner gets to have two days off and the tab at the bar picked up for him for two nights. Also during the day we always take time to play a game or we bring things to break, sometimes we bring shotguns and go to a range during lunch and shoot away our stress...trust me this works. What we do now and in our company obviously is not oppropriet for future jobs or even future prospects, but the point is you have to adapt and find out what works best for your situation and time to stay motivated.

Posted by at at 2:48 PM

3 anti Goleman Views

When reading the articles on the internet that were against Goleman's Emotional intelligence, I found that they all were kind of centered around the argument that Goleman doesn't explain what to do and Goleman mainly mentions happiness and other aspects that are related the brain. I feel that these other sholars aren't looking at this book as a tool we could all use. They are expecting this book to tell them what we should do and how we should do it. If that is what this book was designed for then yes they would have a good reason to be asking these questions. Goleman i feel designed this book as a tool for us to use and base some of our thinking off of. I feel that the book for the most part was written very well. Another main argument which relates to the two above is...Scholars are complaining that there is no instruction on how we should change people or how we change the ghosts, the controler the yes person and so on in the group.. These people fail to recognize the simple fact that we ourselves can't change people it is up to them to change themselves and for us to change ourselves. I feel that Goleman was very sensitive towards this idea and he wrote the book for knowledge and not as an instruction manual for changing people..

Posted by at at 1:10 PM

Fujishin's five dysfunctional roles

When reflecting on the five dysfunctional roles..the Controler, Blamer, Pleaser, Distractor and the Ghost, I thought about which one i am most concerned with or cautious about falling into. Okay so after some deep thought here is my partial conclusion or answer to this question..I feel as human beings we are all controlling or we all have the urge to control others. Its a natural fault which we all share. I also feel that we all take the roll of the blamer in the fact that we always look at others and judge their flaws or take their inventory, when we should be taking our own. so that leave the Pleaser, the Distractor and the Ghost. These are rolls or words which label people with problems that probably go much deeper than being a distractor, ghost or pleaser. okay jason so finally getting to the point. We all have flaws in our persona, one of our biggest flaws is to judge other peoples flaws, or take their inventory for them in order to make us feel better or worse..my famous quote "ignorance of oneself is defeat for oneself" yeah so i don't know if that makes any sense, i just had to throw it in their. so basically I feel that all of us fall under these categories and have to realize this and once we do we can work better with others. However getting back to the point, we shouldn't judge others and try to fix them.."controlling aspect of us" and judge them in order to better understand them...we all need to do our own inventory and better understand ourselves...

Posted by at at 9:27 AM

personal mission statement

Personal mission statement: Be True to Yourself

This is a mission statement that was told to me about three years ago and i have followed it ever since, it is simple and very detailed. It has a broad meaning when relating to a team experience. It has a lot to do with emotional intelligence in how you have to like oneself before you can like others or accept others in a group. it also has to do with confidence and be strong and stand your ground. This statement in regards to my career would basically tell me to don't cut yourself short, do somethiing you like, stay honest, stay focused and be yourself.

Posted by at at 4:14 PM

Self Inventory

Well when i sat down to do my inventory checklist, i noticed that my book pages jumped from 20-27 so i do not have the checklist, so i am just going to go off on a wim here and try and decipher what the checklist was about. I believe the checklist would have been about personal aspects such as do you spend enough time for self discovery, Are you indeed open to self discovery. Do you spend time by yourself to reflect onn certain issues, or do you spend time by yourself detaching from everyday life and come back refreshed. So my answer to this. I have always been a person who puts others before him, I'm always there for my friends family and girlfriend. I have noticed, now becoming a super senior, that i have become stressed or worn out this past year, anxiety, slight depression and sleepless nights. I did go to my family physician and he recommended a couple of different options, of course pills were one of them and possibly some counceling. I am not one who wants to drink away his sorrows, not going to lie, I do have a degree in college drinking, however i can separate real feelings from chemical feelings. So I decided to try something different. I started reading more books, such as Tuesday's with morrie, just an outstanding book, and five people you meet in heaven. both written by mitch albom, Highly recommended. I also started buying more plants for my room such as a bonsai and other plants which require TLC. I have been taking time to do my own type of meditation and reflect on the good things in my life. I have noticed a big change in my attitude and more of a clear head, however, life is full of ups and downs and i still get down and foggy headed, but if we all accept that that is a part of life and something we can take in and become stronger. I feel that we all have our individual needs and I feel that the workplace and college need to address these individual needs and teach people to sit back relax and love eachother. a famous quote, Love eachother or perish. "autom" I don't really know if this is what this entry was suppose to be about but i hope i am close..

Posted by at at 1:50 PM

Effective teams

In the business world teams make up the majority of the strategic decision making process. An effective team in a small or even large business has a common goal or outcome in which they all want to achieve. A team in a corporation might be made up of a Chief financial officer, which may bring his or her input of the financial aspect of the companies decision. There may also be a Different levels from the corporate ladder which may bring there opinion, from the floor if you will and the other employees opinions. A successful team is also very structured and very open to others decision and not just the decision of one person, such as the chief executive officer. I feel that a well structured team with implicit and some explicit values, taking into consideration a comfortable relaxed atmosphere is an effective way to approach the decision goal. Openess and different opinions along with structure and goals will help make a team strive in the business world

Posted by at at 7:25 PM