3081 Iteration 1 Blog Post

| No Comments

Iteration 1 went really well with my partner Andrew Kirchman and I. We work together, and at work have experience using version control software, so SVN wasn't a huge issue for us at all. It's a little archaic compared to what's in the workforce these days (we use Microsoft's Team Foundation Server) across most areas, but we had little trouble with the commandline usage of SVN. Also, it seems like it will be quite easy to manage with a few shell scripts, similar to the tagit script, for other functionality. We had a little bit of issue with files not being recognized, some typical issues with files already under version control, and a little bit with a few of our merges, but overall it went fine.

As far as the actual programming is concerned, everything went well. We both did pieces in each part of testing and actual code creation, with a slight emphasis on coding for me and testing for Andrew. However, this was not exclusive at all. I wrote tests, and there was a particular instance in which both of us slaved away for several hours to try and resolve an issue with our array of regular expressions. Using the style, as much as I was not looking forward to it, helped with the readability quite a bit. My code has never really been messy, but holding to one style helped a lot in terms of figuring out where functions started and ended, keeping lines short, etc. It was somewhat of a pain when dealing with array creations, the long strings of regexes or strings were annoying to format correctly, but overall it wasn't an issue at all.
We also had one major coding issue as previously mentioned, but it just furthered out teamwork as we slaved away at it for 2 hours, and eventually just decided to go with a work around in order to keep scan working.

Working together went brilliantly. Andrew and I see each other almost every day, so communication wasn't an issue at all. We already work well together from being on the same team at work, so no real conflicts sprung up at all. We each got our parts done, and could rely on the other to do his work. We also worked jointly several times, and those were some of our most productive work times. Even working together though, it was still essential that we got each others phone numbers and emails for setting up the joint work times, and just to inform each other about what we were committing and when. For me, it was even more of an experience because I haven't really worked with a partner before on CSCI assignments, it was really nice knowing work could be split, and that I didn't have to get everything done myself.

Though it went really well, there are a few things that we could do better on this next iteration. Function layout and formatting was quite poor in our scanner.cpp file. We had long functions and wasted functions, poor ordering, and a few other issues. Our variables and functions were well named and clear though, and I feel we had good comments. Also, I think in the future iterations we should shoot for a complete middle of the road split on each aspect, as opposed to Andrew focusing more on testing and me more on coding. We did cross over plenty as mentioned before, but we could do a little better there. Finally, a little clearer game plan from the beginning. We roughly decided what would get done and in what order, but I think a more rigid structure there would have been more beneficial, especially as sprawl and waste code started to break out later on in the iteration.
Laying out exactly what functions to do in what order, matching up the testing with that, and, even more importantly, outlining functions and their input/output before creating the all would have helped out greatly.

Overall though, it was a pleasant experience, communication being the key to not having any major headaches. I'm looking forward to making changes in our methodology and getting started on iteration 2!

Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by dryke009 published on March 8, 2012 5:00 PM.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.