Blog # 9: Goal 7 Analysis

The proposal of group 7 to ensure environmental sustainability at the Riverside Plaza was a good idea for conserving energy but I do not think that this would fully improve the slum. This may help for a short time to improve the lives of the low income families who live here to save money and to make things more convenient but I do not think it would completely improve the area. I have seen many public-housing projects that were built to conserve energy but this does not mean that they will improve the area. The McDonough Homes in St. Paul for example were not built long ago but the attempt to improve the lives of the low income families who live in them only succeeded for a time. Now the area is run down with rust stains on the houses, and furniture and garbage strewn around the lawns. Ensuring environmental sustainability is important. It is smart. But creating a sustainable environment will not solve the problem of a slum. A house is nothing but a “shell,� it is the families inside who make it a home and they can chose to care for the home or not.

If only looking at the short run outcomes of creating environmental sustainability in Riverside Plaza, the proposal was good, but I do not think the idea was fully thought through for improving the slum in the long run. The ideas that were thought about for conserving energy were good and the slideshow was also nice.

Blog # 8: Goal 8 Analysis

Living in the United States, people tend to take objects that we use on an every day bases for granted. I could not imagine life without my cell phone or without the internet. I do not consider how important these things are when I am using them but hearing the presentation the honors section did on developing a global partnership for development made me realize how important this technology really is. The United States has been widely developed and part of this has to do with communication. When I heard that only 10% of people in Somalia use mobile technology, I was shocked. Wireless technology makes things so much easier and it provides an easy access for acquiring knowledge. Before the internet was created people would have to do so much research about a subject by going to a library to find book after book and now with a couple clicks they can learn about anything they want. By having this technology Somalia will be able to be a better developed country. The group for goal 8 mentioned the “One Laptop for Every Child� program and I think that this is a good way of providing a good learning experience for kids. Also the solar panels that can be constructed are a good way of providing energy and they are good for a place that not all people have electricity. This would be a good way for Somalia and for other countries to be able to develop and to prosper.

I thought that this presentation was very insightful. I learned a lot from it and I think that the ideas that were discussed were a good way of accomplishing goal 8. The slideshow was aesthetically pleasing and having one of the computers was a nice touch.

PYCY Day 4

Continue reading "PYCY Day 4" »

PCYCDay 3

Continue reading "PCYCDay 3" »

PCYC Day 2

Continue reading "PCYC Day 2" »

Blog # 7: Ideas for Title Pages

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Blog # 6: Simple but entertaining

I am confused about the Millennium term project. I don’t really know what the goal of this project is. But when I do find out the goal, I have thought of a few ways to present research on combating HIV. The most important thing when doing a project is the presentation. It is important that you capture the attention of the audience while informing them of your topic. The best project can be ruined if it is presented poorly:
Photobucket

A few ideas that I like:
Portfolios that I’ve seen and like most have a lot of white space. I used to be afraid of white space when I would make projects before but it does look very nice, clean, and organized. If you have too much going on in one page it will be harder to get your point to the reader.
Power Points are a good way of showing a large audience visuals and information. Having too much text on a slide is not good. There should be few words on a power point and the presenters should have rehearsed what they were going to say.

Looking at some of the issues of PRINT magazine, I have seen that simple is good. Not everything has to be bold and flashy. If it is simple it can still get the point across to the audience.

Picture found at:
http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/ICT_A2/Module_4/topic_4_files/image007.jpg

PCYC Day 1

Continue reading "PCYC Day 1" »

Blog # 5: ?

How does the built environment affect who I am?

Continue reading "Blog # 5: ?" »

Blog # 4: Aristotle vs. Bob Marley

There are many great people whose lives have inspired thousands. Their thoughts and ideas are profound and make people contemplate important things. Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates were three of the many but there are also great people who have inspired others using different methods than these three philosophers. The great people who we should acknowledge as philosophers are musicians.

Continue reading "Blog # 4: Aristotle vs. Bob Marley" »

Blog # 3: Inspiración

Whenever I think of social issues, a lot of times, the problems seem to be unsolvable. If asked why I care to do something about things such as poverty, diseases, hunger and other problems if there seems to be no solution, I would answer: “because I love people and I love helping.� And even though I may not be able to solve the problems, I can at least say I did something. Everything that I do is based on the way I was brought up. Helping others is a reflection of the values that I was taught. Every now and then I still wonder why bad things happen in the world, and my answer for that is that there is a plan for everything.

Continue reading "Blog # 3: Inspiración" »

Blog # 2: Its not my fault...

Photobucket
Homelessness is a big problem in the Twin Cities. Around Hennepin County there are about 3,000 homeless people. So how is homelessness going to be stopped? If people would stop being selfish, lazy, and irresponsible, perhaps this problem could be solved. People who are more fortunate and have the capability to help the homeless, should. But wait, what about those people who are homeless, don’t they also need to stop being lazy and irresponsible?

Continue reading "Blog # 2: Its not my fault..." »

Blog # 1: Energy Throughout a City

Energy can neither be created nor destroyed; but it can be transformed from one form of energy to another.

The environment of downtown Minneapolis successfully demonstrates the idea of energy, flow, and transformation through a city. People in the city are often in a rush to go anywhere. Either they will be rushing to catch a bus, to hurry to a job, to put quarters in a parking meter, or to do various other things. The energy in this environment is very fast paced and could even be described as edgy. People are not as friendly towards others as they might be in a suburban town. Though this may not be true in all cases, materialistic values seem to embody the people of the city. Energy of the people will give either positive or negative alterations of peoples moods. The energy of one person’s mood will flow to another and is then transformed to how the person decides to take it, and how they will continue the flow of energy to the next person. If one person is negative, anyone who they encounter will either chose to let the negative attitude impact them in a bad way, or they can chose to ignore it and be more positive that their day is not going as bad as the other persons. Either positive or negative, this energy is transmitted from one person to another and it forms a chain reaction. The environment of the city is a reflection of the people’s energy. People’s attitudes impact the energy that will later be transformed to create the environment of the city.

Transportation and the design of buildings and their placement throughout the city is one of the outcomes the transformation of people’s energy has. The people’s lives in the city require fast and efficient ways of doing things to help them with their daily routines. Busy schedules cause buildings and transportation to be designed to fit the needs of the people. Buses can take a person to their destination quickly and inexpensively. Taxis wait on every street. On the corner of Nicollet and 9th Street there are two Starbucks opposite of each other so people will not have to cross the street to get caffeine or a muffin. Target Corporation is located one block away from a Target store. Instead of an employee having to stroll down the side walk and cross the street, a skyway (one of many) is conveniently placed connecting the buildings together. If the employee is in a rush to eat before returning from one building to the other they can get take out at the Quiznos between Target Corporation and Target in the skyway. They could even stop to get cash on the way there at the TCF Bank. The energy of the people’s attitudes is also transformed into how buildings are designed. Tall buildings with straight lines and edges are prominent. The Minneapolis Library is an example of how the edginess of the people is transformed into a building. The lines are sharp, as well as the cantilever that emerges from the building.

Downtown Minneapolis has a culture of its own. Energy is not lost but flows from one person to the next and is transformed into the way transportation and buildings are designed. The edginess of people’s energy is transformed into the way buildings are designed. Their busy lives dictate the environment of the city.