Test

Posted by dugg0009 at 1:36 PM

mmm....fries

J R Simplot is an American icon. He is a man through an arrogance that has become known to the world as American, left his family and became a incredible success. J R Simplot has acted as an effective opportunist.
It may seem that I don't approve of Mr. Simplot, but quite the opposite is true. I have nothing but respect for him. Rather than simply ignoring his father and ask others for help (this may initially be due more to the lack of social programs at the time rather than his personal motivation) he committed himself to succeeding. Unfortunately, some companies are now being run by people who understand how to run a business, but have no clue about the industry.

Americans can be an incredible people when it comes to increasing the efficiency of a system. Unfortunately, sometimes people misunderstand technology and fear the unknown, causing advancements to slow.

Posted by dugg0009 at 3:37 PM

Tuesday's entry pt. 2

"Birth rates are falling rapidly worldwide as remaining regions of the Third World begin the demographic transition—when birth rates drop in response to an earlier decline in death rates." This supports my contention that people are recognizing the status of children as an economic liability.

"12 Myths About Hunger." Institute for Food and Development Policy Backgrounder Summer 1998, Vol.5, No. 3. 21 June 2005.

Posted by dugg0009 at 10:28 AM

Tuesday's readingings

The powerful control the food....well I guess powerful people controlling food must be a new thing? Royalty (to include major religions) for thousands of years has declared divine rights to land and crops thereby opprssing othes. What is the end result? Revolutions? To some extent there have been monior gains, but they have been too far and few between to claim victory. When it comes to hunger, many people have realized that in a post-industrial world children are liabilities. The age of having children has been growing in the US for the past couple of decades for good reason. The costs of child rearing in this society are to many cost prohibitive at worst, straining at best.

Posted by dugg0009 at 9:50 AM

Monday the 20th....

I believe trendy restaurants catering to important people will always be a problem, well at least for those that aren't important. Restaurant owners are forced to obey the laws of economics, which in this case means as long as they can maintain their trendy status (have a demand) they will continue to do business (demand). Unfortunately some become become hung up on the idea that they should put up with poor service/products just for their image. To those people I say they deserve what they get.

"In Getting the Goods," Langston likes the purity of the farmers' market to such an extent that he favors patrols to regulate those attempting to pawn off their second rate products. i find this somewhat ironic given the openness and unregulated nature of a farmers market. Langston's knowledge makes me wonder what what class of produce I have been buying...

Posted by dugg0009 at 1:07 AM

Thursday readings...

"Farm Fresh Mind" by Dara Moskowitz, has me intrigued. I am generally willing to try new things. My only criticism of her piece is that there is no relationship to price ever mentioned other than that someone belived they were quite high. What is a high price? If steak at a chain grocery store is $6/lb is theirs $8/lb? I will definately check the place out, but a little heads up would have been nice.

"Playing the Market" by Sara Deseran reminds me of the annoying purest of underground music in that as soon as someone is discovered they have instantly sold out. It annoys me that someone would intentionally wish another to remain mediocre just for their selfishness. Other than that, I like the idea of having a central market to shop at. The elitists running about would probably annoy me, so I would probably generally shop at the other markets.

"Mother of All Markets" by Rick Nichols embraces the over commercialization of a farmers market from an interesting perspective. I completely agree with the absurdities of some things he noticed and the idea that it was supposed to be a farmers' market. What farmers' market would have truffles as a normally stocked item? A faux ceiling? French toast flavored anything? A rustic feel is ok, but to lie outright and confuse those who don't know any better is wrong.

Posted by dugg0009 at 9:24 AM

BBQ Jamaican

"BBQ Jamaican Style" by Richard Rands Cooper, was a sensory delight. As I read it I swear I could smell the wood burning, the "tomatoes, onions, garlic, celery, paprika"(Cooper 199) as well as the other herbs and spices falling from the meat and becoming aerosolized by the heat of the coals once they kiss. I want to visit Jamaica just to try this meat.

Posted by dugg0009 at 1:39 AM

Ode to a Frank

Ode to an Egg by Michelle Wildgen is flush with bourgeoisie flare, whereas Let’s be Frank by Sandra Tsing Loh is more middle America in both style and humbleness.
Wildgren uses the French language to accentuate her place as a connoisseur. “The husband never abandons his joyful consumption of oeufs au jambon and eventually finds happiness in love and work”(Hughes 349). That could have been written eggs and ham, but it would have lost much of the authority Wildgren attempts to draw from the reader. Throught her piece Wildgren emphasizes that she has the authority to speak of eggs, going so far as to implying that a particularly sexy food cannot be handled and therefore not written about by men.

Sandra Tsing Loh is an author attempting to convey her authority be relating to her readers, not by attempting to impress them with her linguistic abilities. Loh begins by trying to point out how un-cool or un-hip she is. Loh, like most of America, is average. Loh goes to a beach for average people, has an average family, and has an average persons diet. Loh draws in readers by letting them see her not as a distant critic.

Posted by dugg0009 at 11:56 AM

Food ID

1) My favorite foods are as varied as my least favorite foods. Depending on my mood and setting I love or hate pizza, pasta, kim chi, or even just water. When I am able to my food choices reflect my interests at the moment.

2) I enjoy eating outside on a given weekend evening. A slight breeze, and the smell of someone else barbacuing is an appreciated accent. When the weather isn't the best I don't have much of a preference.

3) My family doesn't get together regularly for large meals, and when it happens the appearance is that of loosely controlled chaos. The meals are generally not consistant, with exception to desert. One of uncles is an incredible baker, and has come up with many recipes that are beyond just mention. He rarely repeats himself, so many great deserts have been carefully filed away in my memories to stay for eternity, but never be relived.

4) One of the most unusual things I have had the expeience of eating is kim chi. Like a spicy Korean saurkraut (the most generic possible explanation possible), the flavors and aromas overwhelm many people who I have eaten near. I say yum.

5) I consider myself an apt cook. I enjoy experimenting with meals that are probably outside my skill range. I enjoy taking on a challenge, even when I know the outcome is far from certain. I enjoy making Hispanic and Italian food, but I think I could use some more (read: any) formal training.

6) When I don't have time druing the week I like to experiment with making quick foods tastier. A fast food I like is chili mac. One box maccarroni (sp?), a can of chili, and a few extra spices. Tastes pretty decent, and works out well as a late night snack. I usually eat with roommates/friends, when they are available.

7) My father worked most of the time, so my mother cooked. In my grandparents home my grandfather cooked and my grandmother cleaned up.
Most of my food comes from a grocery store. I just don't seem to have time to go out and look around very much.

8) Most of my food comes from a grocery store. I don't seem to be able to find the time to go out looking very often. When I do venture out, I find myself more interested in the recipes and techniques than the individual ingredients.

Posted by dugg0009 at 12:21 PM