Thursday readings...

"Farm Fresh Mind" by Dara Moskowitz, has me intrigued. I am generally willing to try new things. My only criticism of her piece is that there is no relationship to price ever mentioned other than that someone belived they were quite high. What is a high price? If steak at a chain grocery store is $6/lb is theirs $8/lb? I will definately check the place out, but a little heads up would have been nice.

"Playing the Market" by Sara Deseran reminds me of the annoying purest of underground music in that as soon as someone is discovered they have instantly sold out. It annoys me that someone would intentionally wish another to remain mediocre just for their selfishness. Other than that, I like the idea of having a central market to shop at. The elitists running about would probably annoy me, so I would probably generally shop at the other markets.

"Mother of All Markets" by Rick Nichols embraces the over commercialization of a farmers market from an interesting perspective. I completely agree with the absurdities of some things he noticed and the idea that it was supposed to be a farmers' market. What farmers' market would have truffles as a normally stocked item? A faux ceiling? French toast flavored anything? A rustic feel is ok, but to lie outright and confuse those who don't know any better is wrong.

Posted by dugg0009 at June 17, 2005 9:24 AM